New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
11057279_10153515337211098_7537899633292815889_n.jpg

Goto's new outfit is a serious upgrade. Thunder god Goto is main event

Reactions: Jacob Fox and Bort

Stopspot

Reaction score
Apparently it is designed by the design team for some upcoming video game in Japan and the theme is "God of thunder". Kinda cool that they gave Goto this rather than one of the big three.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Diggin' Goto's new outfit. I'll love seeing him coming out like that to that awesome theme song!

Stopspot

Reaction score

From tonight's pre-G1 press conf. The NWA was added in a later tweet. This confirm all of NJPW's current foreign affiliates.

This is apparently the new "IWGP Concept", whatever that means. Guess it will at the least be a public face for the IWGP as a ruling body.

Also from that presser: New Japan are starting their own version of NXT, Lion's Gate to help get more young wrestlers to sign up with and join New Japan (since that is one of their main problems), and they also promised more co-shows with their affiliates in the future

Last edited:
Reactions: Bort

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Something I've found on Tumblr.

New Japan noted they are working with WWE for a scouting program related to NXT. It’s unclear what that will look like at this point, but Step 1 was WWE booking New Japan legend Jushin Liger for their “NXT: Takeover” show in August in New York.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Something I've found on Tumblr.
lol that's wrong. Whoever translated that translated it wrong.

What they meant is that njpw are copying the NXT model of scouting. They are not working together

Stopspot

Reaction score
Here's what was actually said about the recruting program, corrected by Pwinsider who leaked the wrong news:

New Japan Pro Wrestling did NOT announce a working relationship with WWE NXT this morning during their press conference. My initial post, which went up 18 minutes ago, stated that as such. My apologies for the error. Here is WHAT was announced:

According to my old friend Masa, my initial post was an error based on a translation I was given. The promotion actually announced a "Young Lions" program and described it as being similar to WWE NXT, so it would be something of a developmental program where they would scout talents and have a program for them to gain experience in the ring. They did not state they were working WITH NXT however.

The remainder below is the original posting:

New Japan noted that they are officially partnering with promotions in the United States including Ring of Honor, The NWA and Global Force Wrestling. I was told they didn't list WWE as a partner as they did the aforementioned other American companies.

New Japan during the conference made a big deal of other companies they are partnering with, including The UK's Revolution Pro, CMLL in Mexico and Germany's WXW.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
lol that's wrong. Whoever translated that translated it wrong.

What they meant is that njpw are copying the NXT model of scouting. They are not working together

Ah, I see... Well, I figured that was too good to be true.

Stopspot

Reaction score
I like it. Did you see Lelgin's crying seriousmania face from G1 press conference?
I wasn't sure if he was being stern or pooping to be honest