New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kasumi

Reaction score
Calm down there Kasum E. Cornette. Either you're just relying on something you heard from a critic without watching a match, or you saw a couple of gifs and that's it.

Frankly, Will Ospreay is one of my favourite wrestlers going right now because he isn't just a "high-spots" guy. His two most recent matches against Shingo Takagi and Dragon Lee both were matches of the year contenders and he can mix his athletic moves with a story. Especially now that he's rounding his game. He doesn't even refer to himself as the "Aerial Assassin" anymore. Like one example of a match which he really toned himself down was actually last year at Dominion against Hiromu Takahashi. It was a match he was very subdued in his high-flying and wrestled a more power-based game. That's kind of also why he's added moves like the Hidden Blade Elbow and the Stormbreaker into his move-set. The hidden blade is a back elbow strike and the Stormbreaker is a power based move. Both are like key moves in his move-set now, with the Stormbreaker being his main finisher now.

Of course, he earned the high spot reputation with his decisive match with Ricochet a few years ago. But I believe he's worked hard to prove he's more than that. High-flying is still a part of his game, but it isn't the only thing he relies on and I think he knows personally to help the longevity of his career while still being exciting, he has to round his game more and he has and considering the fact that Kenny Omega hasn't wrestled as much this year, may be one of the best performers on the planet right now.
Seen Osprey many times.
I agree with Corny!
However I will say you are partially correct. He has become more well rounded, to a degree. He is just so bouncy!
He should go to AAA and be a superstar Lucha guy. He could put in a mask and Crush it. I’ll take Puma anyday.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Also, apparently a lot of New Japan people hate working with RoH, so may soon see that partnership go away, which open the door for AEW and New Japan.

ROH has clearly plateaued as the distant #3 right now, so both sides got a lot out of the deal. ROH got star power, and NJPW learned a lot about how to appeal to US fans.

But I'm wondering what benefit there is to either side for an AEW/NJPW partnership. Both sides seem like they'll be just fine creating their own stars/using the ones they have/simply relying on writing better shows.

Part of it is how NJPW seems pretty salty about pushing more gaijin stars after Styles/the Elite left them. Stick to guys like Jay White that trained in the Dojo

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
ROH has clearly plateaued as the distant #3 right now, so both sides got a lot out of the deal. ROH got star power, and NJPW learned a lot about how to appeal to US fans.

But I'm wondering what benefit there is to either side for an AEW/NJPW partnership. Both sides seem like they'll be just fine creating their own stars/using the ones they have/simply relying on writing better shows.

Part of it is how NJPW seems pretty salty about pushing more gaijin stars after Styles/the Elite left them. Stick to guys like Jay White that trained in the Dojo
That they did. Both sides benefited, but as of late RoH has been doing things that New Japan isn't too fond of, for example, signing nZo and CazzXL and their whole stunt.

If New Japan begins working with AEW they will have a semi-permanent stake in the United States. As AEW will have a regular TV show and would reach more people Statewide, you know. As well New Japan can use as a showcase as FMW did with ECW, AAA did WCW, and so forth.

Not really, but I can see how that would seem. They haven't pushed any Gaijins because none of them have appealed to the audience except for Juice though like you said about Jay he was trained by them. The thing with The Bucks is that they think they are the best tag team around and that is just false on several accounts.

So New Japan working with AEW would be a good thing as they more view Statewide and such.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Also, the reason why Jon isn't going to be at the G1 opener in Dallas is because of his contract with AEW that says he can't work for another promotion in the United States or something on that line.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Also, the reason why Jon isn't going to be at the G1 opener in Dallas is because of his contract with AEW that says he can't work for another promotion in the United States or something on that line.

That's actually a good point.
AEW have exclusive contracts for American companies, but Khan allows and even endorses the talent to work internationally. To make up for the lack of house show revenue. So you're going to allow NJPW to use your talent but you won't use there's? (Though they are using CMLL, OWE talent)

Idk. It sounds weird to wonder about making a deal with a bigger company because, on paper, why not? But maybe it is that simple

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Last edited:
Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
That's actually a good point.
AEW have exclusive contracts for American companies, but Khan allows and even endorses the talent to work internationally. To make up for the lack of house show revenue. So you're going to allow NJPW to use your talent but you won't use there's? (Though they are using CMLL, OWE talent)

Idk. It sounds weird to wonder about making a deal with a bigger company because, on paper, why not? But maybe it is that simple
They are using AAA not CMLL.
According to Dave Meltzer, AEW blocked Jon Moxley from appearing in the NJPW G1 in Dallas as they retain his rights to appear in other promotions. Moxley can wrestle in the smaller New Japan shows and American indy promotions but don't want him on TV under another promotion's banner.

Thank you for this

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I watched the NEVER Openweight title match between Taichi and Tomohiro Ishii at NJPW Dominion. It's good booking (and respectful) for the Champion Taichi to appear second in the ring entrance. Too often in pro wrestling to get the crowd pumped up, the heel champion appears to the walkway first and the babyface comes to the ring second to the sound of a deafening crowd.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Here's your friendly reminder that Toru Yano deserves a world title shot.

PUMPED FOR THE G1

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi for Ibushi's IWGP Intercontinental Championship at Dominion. I was rooting for Ibushi to retain his title against Naito. Naito's schtick of holding the Intercontinental title with disdain, kicking the Intercontinental title around and couldn't buy groceries with the belt is getting stale.

The commentators say Naito holds the title in low regard because he's still pissed off over being upstaged in Wrestle Kingdom 8, where the Intercontinental title match between Hiroshi Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura was the main event while the World title match between him and Kazuchika Okada was moved further down the card. Wrestle Kingdom 8 was in 2014 and it's 2019 now. There's a difference between being legitimately bitter and just being obsessive compulsive and, with the way they're booking Naito, it's looking like the latter.

Last edited:

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
What a win for Sanada in the G1 Climax! He defeated Zack Sabre Jr. In one dramatic sequence, Zack caught Sanada in the Manji-Gatame for several minutes and it looked like Sanada wasn't going to be able to get to the ropes and it was going to be another submission win for Zack. But Sanada was able to put his foot on the ropes to force Zack to break the hold.

Last edited: