New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I hope he gets better. His feud with Jay White, along with being an alley and mentor to Okada, has been gold.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Finally finished The New Begining in Osaka, and I have to give it like 6/10. It was decent, but the main event made up for it. Also, the second night of Sapporo gets like 5/10. It was decent, but the main event was pretty bad. I liked the idea they tried to go for, but having Naito, who is a great wrestler, go against TAICHI, who is mediocre at best, just didn't fit right and the match showed it.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Got finished with Honor Rising, and I have to say I'll give a 7/10. Across both nights had good matches and overall it was pretty good. All I got left is the Honor Rising in America, and watch the highlights of the New Japan Cup, and I'll be all caught and then I can start on Stardom, yay for me.

Reactions: Kasumi

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I am finally caught with NJPW, I know no one cares, and after watching the highlights of the New Japan Cup, I'll give it an 8/10

Reactions: Snowman1 and Kasumi

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
So, Kota Ibushi has signed a lifetime contract with NJPW.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I haven't watched any of the Road to Wrestling Dontaku, but I have been reading the results and so far I'll give each show a rating of a 6.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Welp,

He may be in AEW, but he is setting his sights on the top dog.

Holy shit... And the thing is, there is a good chance that Okada will win. He's New Japan's biggest star right now, but at the same time, if Jericho wins, I can see it helping certain things storyline wise in New Japan. With Ibushi holding the IC title aiming to elevate it to equal or greater to the heavyweight title like some of his "heroes," a Chris Jericho champion who won't be in the G1 likely and will maybe have one or two title defenses before Wrestle Kingdom if he will hold it that long, it can give Kota Ibushi the chance as champion to be the main event. Then the G1 we have a few scenerios. One could be Okada winning to get revenge against the man who took his title, another could be Tetsuya Naito someone with a history with Jericho and he can finally win the IWGP Championship in the main event like he said he would, and even Kota Ibushi to do a rare Champion vs Champion match, or if he drops the IC title between the G1 and WK, can easily still say he carried New Japan on his back with an absent champion.

As for Okada vs Jericho as a match itself, even if Jericho is not the same wrestler he was when he was in his in-ring prime, he's made up for it in character work. Like this version of Jericho is great, having nicknames and taglines to almost counter his major opponents. From calling himself "The Alpha" to counter Kenny Omega, saying he is the opposite of "Tranquilo" while facing Naito and EVIL, and now, while a little cheesy, being a Painmaker instead of the guy to make it rain, is simple but effective. Okada can easily make up for any moments where Jericho's age may hold him back.

And the card is already looking potentially great.

Okada vs Jericho
Unless it was announced for another date and I am missing it: Ibushi vs Naito
Taji Ishimori vs the winner of the BOSJ
Juice Robbinson may be facing the person who sent the Time's Up video. Which from some rumours people are saying he could be Chris Brookes (which makes me fear for his availability as an E-fed rep since I used him before), Mark Haskins, or some people are saying David Finlay. Either way, interesting angle and can lead to a match at the show.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Damn, Beavie beat me to it, lol, but The Painmaker vs The Rainmaker is going to be great.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Anyone else think Chase Owen's looks like Post Malone?

Last edited:

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Sengoku Lord in Nagoya gets a 8 out of 10 for m3 especially for the last two matches which were great in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Wrestling Hinokuni gets a 7 from me. It wasn't bad, but there was too much tag matches for my liking, but the main event of Jay White vs Hirooki Goto was great and I am hoping these two begin a feud.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Just as I thought El Phantasmo is the newest member of The Bullet Club, which is a great addition. Wrestling Dontaku gets a 9/10 for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Kasumi

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Changes were made today to the B Block of Best of the Super Juniors 26, as El Desperado has been forced to withdraw due to injury, and Flip Gordon has encountered visa issues.

On May 7 at the TakaTaichi Mania 2 event in Korakuen Hall, Desperado suffered a broken jaw during his match with Jun Kasai. Under doctor’s orders, Desperado will be unable to compete.

Flip Gordon was not issued a proper visa in time to enter Japan, and has reluctantly been forced to withdraw from the tournament.

New Japan Pro Wrestling sincerely apologizes to fans who were looking forward to seeing Gordon and Desperado participate in Best of the Super Juniors 26. We appreciate your understanding.
So El Desperado and Flip Gordon will be withdrawn from Best of the Super Juniors, and I have to say that really sucks especially since Will is one of the best in that class. Also, if you want to see how El Desperado looked click the spoiler below.
unnon748kbx21.jpg

Last edited:

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I finished watching G1 Supercard and was surprised that Jay White lost the IWGP title to Kazuchika Okada. When Jay White defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the title I was assuming New Japan had big plans set-up for The Switchblade other than a transitional champ.

Last edited: