Movies That Will Become Classics

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
This spun off from the Most Hated Films thread and thought it could make an interesting thread.

Basically the question is what movies, recent movies, to put a date let's say anything post 2000. Which movies do you think will stand out the most in 30 years or more and be remembered as true classics? Which movies will most define this era of film when so much of it is forgotten?

I'll put some thought into it and try to come up with some of my own.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Well the Avengers will probably pop into here but I think it's too early to say it will be a classic.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The first movie that sprung to mind was No Country For Old Men, which is pretty much already an American classic. I'll add more as I think of them.

EDIT: From the foreign side of things, Y Tu Mama Tabien, Amelie, City of God and The Lives of Others are pretty much a lock to be remembered in 30 years.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
The first Hunger Games, I think the whole series will be up there with Star Wars, LOTR.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I really can't think of any other than what was said really. I think what we should be looking at are cult movies that people will adore and have certain aspects of them being cherished.

Honestly I bet Shaun of the Dead will be one of those that will be remembered for years to come.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'm not a huge fan but I wouldn't be shocked if Gladiator stood the test of time as well. It seems like pretty much everyone loves that movie except me.

Swinny

Reaction score
The first movie that sprung to mind was No Country For Old Men, which is pretty much already an American classic. I'll add more as I think of them.

That was actually the first thing to pop into my mind too.

I'll throw a couple out there that are possibilities:

There Will Be Blood
Children of Men
Donnie Darko
The Bourne series, the first in particular
District 9
The Wrestler
The Social Network

And since this started because of recent comedies I would say Anchorman will become a classic comedy. Then there's things like 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, Napoleon Dynamite, Step Brothers.

Little Miss Sunshine is one that could be a classic. Then there's things like Cast Away and Gladiator.

Think that's enough for now.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I'm not a huge fan but I wouldn't be shocked if Gladiator stood the test of time as well. It seems like pretty much everyone loves that movie except me.
I though gladiator came out in 1999 (which I could be extremely wrong about) I do like that movie sorry Fuji especially when he takes his helmet off and says I am Maximus.

Another one that popped in my mind is Cast away

Swinny

Reaction score
The first Hunger Games, I think the whole series will be up there with Star Wars, LOTR.

Eh don't know about that one and is it crazy to say I don't really know if Lord of the Rings will be either?

The thing with something like that is now with The Hobbit movies coming out and then I'm sure they'll be more Lord of the Rings movies and remakes and such coming, so not sure if they'll truly stand the test of time because it might get diluated.

Same reason I wouldn't include something like The Dark Knight because as much as it's loved now, you know there's going to be so many Batman movies over the years.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Eh don't know about that one and is it crazy to say I don't really know if Lord of the Rings will be either?
Personally, I've already forgotten the LOTR movies and have no desire to watch them again. :lol:

You're right though, the over-saturation of the genre based films is going to end up hurting them all in this regard. The only reason it didn't fuck up Star Wars was the length of time between the two trilogies. Now with an apparent 897 new Star Wars movies on the horizon, who's going to remember Episode VII after 2020?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
That is why paranormal activity won't be a classic

Swinny

Reaction score
That is why paranormal activity won't be a classic

That does make me wonder about horror movies.

Which ones will be the Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween of this generation?

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
The closest was scream and thay started in the 90's nothing else has come close. Saw could have but it jumped the Shark in the third one.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Right now I can only think of Pan's Labyrinth and Let the Right One In as two great horror films, post-2000, that may stand the test of time.

Swinny

Reaction score
Yeah Scream is but yeah, a little earlier. I think it will easily remain the biggest horror movie and series though.

The one post-2000 though that comes to mind first is 28 Days Later.