Moviegoer Files Class Action Lawsuit Over High Cost Of Food and Drinks At Theaters

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Six dollars for a box of gummy worms at the movie theater seems like highway robbery, but is it actually unlawful?
our editor recommends

On behalf of all others who find the prices of movie theater concessions to be outrageous, Michigan resident Joshua Thompson has filed a class action lawsuit against his local AMC theater. He's suing because the movie house denied him the ability to bring his own soda and candy into the local AMC in an alleged violation of Michigan's Consumer Protection Act.

The plaintiff is a 20-something security technician in Livonia, Michigan, who according to the Detroit Free Press, was tired of movie theaters taking advantage of him. So he's suing.

Both AMC and the the National Association of Theatre Owners declined the paper's request for comment.

Although Thompson's lawsuit is winning sympathy from like-minded theatergoers who are being asked in a recession to pay big markups on wholesale prices, some legal experts doubt the plaintiffs stand much chance of buttering up a judge.

"It's a loser," said Gary Victor, an Eastern Michigan University business law professor, citing Supreme Court precedent that has given businesses an out from consumer protection liability in well-regulated industries.

(Here's the decision that observers believe gutted Michigan's consumer protection law.)

If the plaintiffs manage to get around this, they'll force AMC to face a law that prohibits "charging the consumer a price that is grossly in excess of the price at which similar property or services are sold."

Exactly how much do movie theaters make on concessions? According to one Morningstar equity analyst, of every dollar spent on candy and soda in movie theaters, 85% is pure profit. Another review of the business of selling popcorn reveals that $30 worth of raw popcorn is worth as much as $3,000 to movie theaters.

Unfortunately, the economics of allowing consumers to bring their own gummy bears into the theater aren't quite so simple. If this lawsuit ever did get to trial, AMC would certainly bring their own experts that could testify that charging high prices is actually in the consumers' best interest.

As hard as that is to believe, researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the University of California, Santa Cruz, concluded in 2009 that "by charging high prices on concessions, exhibition houses are able to keep ticket prices lower, which allows more people to enjoy the silver-screen experience."

Is that any comfort to a family of six who paid nearly $100 for seats to see Dr. Seuss' The Lorax last weekend? Probably not. That's not even counting the concessions.

I have never paid $6 for candy in theater, but I do think the soda and popcorn are over priced, but on the other hand this is what keeps them in business as we the consumers have demanded all this new technology in movie theaters so we can see and hear the movies better. This is how they fund those changes because I can't see them making much on the films as they have to pay to get the copies they get. I hope this gets tossed out as I can see this leading to $25-30 tickets to watch a movie which I will never go again and wait for the DVD and lead to more movie Piracy.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Theatres generally split the profit of the ticket price 50/50 with the studio. They do make a lot from concessions but the real money these days comes from all the commercials and advertisements they air before the films. I believe I've read recently that this accounts for somewhere around 40% of their total revenue for the year.

Swinny

Reaction score
If you're so worried about paying that much for gummy worms just do what everybody else does and bring your own. Simple solution. No need to sue over something so fuckin' stupid.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
He did bring his own, which is what I am guessing started the lawsuit. Really though, shit isn't that hard to sneak in. I take my own bottles and candy or whatever in all the time. I refuse to pay the price for concessions. Especially when the girlfriend and I go and we spend almost $25 for the two of us just on tickets.

Swinny

Reaction score
He did bring his own, which is what I am guessing started the lawsuit. Really though, shit isn't that hard to sneak in. I take my own bottles and candy or whatever in all the time. I refuse to pay the price for concessions. Especially when the girlfriend and I go and we spend almost $25 for the two of us just on tickets.

Oh. Probably should have actually read the article then. :shifty: :tongue1: But yeah, how hard is it to sneak in? You stick a bag of gummy worms in your pocket. There ya go.

They don't even care about it here though, you can walk right into with whatever and no one cares.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
It is just ridiculous. We have to sneak shit in, otherwise we get thrown out.

kristinaB

There are a couple things on earth that people whine about more than movie theater concession prices. There is little one can do about them, though, because without high concession prices, theaters wouldn’t be able to keep their doors open. Good reason exists for movie theater concession prices. Theaters have been selling over priced pop corns and other foods. High concession prices keep ticket prices low enough for people to buy them and overpriced popcorn is one of the reasons why theaters can operate at all.