Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series 2017

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
This is a wrestling forum. And wrestling is probably one of the most organized things on TV if you think about it. How is racing that organized? There's 40 cars who are trying to win a high-speed race at 200+mph at some tracks. Running mere inches and feet apart. One wrong move, or blown tire could result in utter mayhem.

Anyway lol, yesterday's race:

Round 2 opener at Charlottes saw Kevin Harvick lead a great chunk of the race winning both stage 1 and stage 2. But Truex Jr ultimately had the better all-around team effort that day. He started back in 17th. Which is very far back for him this year. Throughout the course of the race his pit crew earned him 10 positions by having quicker pit stops and his driving skill took him the rest of the way.

Practises were rained out all weekend so they only had time to qualify so it was really a guessing game for all the teams as to how to setup their cars. Harvick had the class of the field but faded late. Larson was also doing well except his pit crew lost his position every stop. Coupled with a late-race collision with Kurt Busch, that gave him a 10th place finish.
Kyle Busch had a very off day. He too had a great car, but he got loose and pounded the outside wall about mid-race which sent him a lap down. With a broken car he continued to slip and went 2 laps down. After another collision and another problem...he finished the race I believe in 35th which sent him from 2nd down to 6th in the standings.

With the great unknown ahead next week at Talladega; a track infamous for "the big one", his future looks unpredictable. All it will take is 1 person running up front to make contact or get a little bit loose and all hell will break loose. The unpredictably and close proximity of restrictor plate races are what makes this sport so crazy and addicting. You hope for a smooth race, but you know...at some point... something will happen. Last talladega race had a 16 car wreck. Daytona in July had a few, which took out a sizable portion of the field.

Next Sunday at 2pm est. witness exhilarating excitement.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well you could always give NASCAR another look. No better time than this coming Sunday at Talladega. Unless you would rather watch an actual 'drivers track' where it's more about skill and less about pure luck lol. In that case they're at Kansas the following Sunday.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well with win #7 of the season, Martin Truex Jr has now matched his total career wins (14 years). He now has 14 career wins in what has been an extremely emotional year for him.

His long-time girlfriend, who has beat cancer in the past, was diagnosed again earlier this season with ovarian cancer. The same weekend they got that devastating news, he won. A few weeks later she couldn't make it to the race due to chemo, the only race she's missed this season at that point, And he won.
2 weeks ago she was again feeling under the weather and couldn't make it. And yet again he won.
This past week tragedy struck the #78 team when one of their body fabricators passed away due to a sudden heart attack on the Saturday night, 12 hours before the green flag dropped. They were racing with heavy hearts, and again... he took the checkered flag.
Mark my words if this man wins the championship this year, It is worthy of a movie or something. To battle through so much adversity and come away with a trophy would be an amazing accomplishment for a guy who's been a mid field racer for the majority of his career struggling to find a team with the right equipment to keep up to his skills.

This is his year.

He now holds a record for most wins on 1.5 mile tracks in a season with 6. Although this is the inaugural year of stage racing he currently has 19 stage wins with 4 races to go. This is a monumental year.

Round of 8 starts Sunday at Martinsville

Last edited:
Reactions: JBan

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Oh my god finally lol. I've updated the majority of the season and finally there's someone.

Well today is the final round of 8 race. The final cutoff race before the championship 4 are set to race for the cup next weekend in homestead-miami.

So with that said, today they are in Phoenix for the pan am 500. 3 drivers are now locked into the final 4.
18- Kyle Busch won at Martinsville
4- Kevin Harvick won at Texas
78- Martin truex jr locked in on points

Now 5 drivers are vying for the final spot.

2- brad keselowski - if he runs better than everyone else he should get in on points
11- Denny Hamlin - if he runs considerably better than brad he could make it in
21 - Ryan Blaney - basically in a must win situation
24 - Chase Elliott - also in a must win situation
48 - Jimmie Johnson - must win. But to count him out would be silly. He doesn't have 7 championships for nothing.

2:30pm eastern on nbcsn (Or tsn if you're in Canada)

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Funny guy.

That was the mentality I got as a young teenager after I watched a handful of races. Now as an adult, 13 years later, it is soo much more than "turning left". I didn't drive a vehicle quite yet back then. Now that I do, and I know how fast 180 kilometres is, 200 MILES is so much faster. Practically double. Doing that over and over again, while trying to find a line better than the guy ahead of you seems like a hell of a task. All it takes is one wiggle or entering/exiting a turn a little worse than the next guy which could be the difference between a couple positions.

I understand the stigma attached to nascar; beer drinking hillbillies. But to me it is so much more. It is almost like a high speed art form. And it doesn't end there. If your pit crew has a good stop you could gain multiple positions for a restart. On the contrary, a bad spot could cost you multiple spots and ultimately the win.

Eh whatever it gets nowhere with most people because they choose to be ignorant.

Anyways lets get into this week's recap shall we?
What a race!
With Denny Hamlin intentionally wrecking chase Elliott at Martinsville and costing him the win and advancing to the final 4, it was only a matter of time before he got his revenge. And it was oh so sweet.

Hamlin had the dominant car for the majority of the day. With under 40 laps to go chase caught up to him and got side by side in turn 3/4 and exiting turn 4 he slid Hamlin up the track and finished him off with a sweet little bump into the wall, thus making the body of Denny car rub on his right front wheel eventually blowing it and sending him straight into the wall, ending his championship hopes for this season. It was a well-timed, perfectly executed move that paid off....almost.

After a restart Elliott gained the lead and was pulling away from Kenseth until he hit lap traffic and made Matt catch up to and pass him which would be the final lead change with 10 to go. Matt Kenseth is without a ride for next season unfortunately. It's too bad because the old man can still wheel a car with the best of them.

With Hamlin knocked out of the race chase needed a win to advance but ended up with yet another runner up finish (7th of his 2 yr career. Still looking for win #1) and allowed the #2 of Brad keselowski to advance on points.

The final 4 will be
#2 brad keselowski
#4 Kevin Harvick
#18 Kyle Busch
#78 Martin truex jr

Mtj is the only 1 of those 4 without a championship to his name and in all rights deserves it this season for the work he and his team have put in.

Next Sunday at 2:30 eastern watch the 2017 champion be crowned. First one to cross the line wins. No matter what place they finish it just has to be better than the other 3.

Ryan Blade

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Website
RDSWrestling.com
Eh whatever it gets nowhere with most people because they choose to be ignorant.

"Whatever, I guess. If you don't agree with me then you are ignorant."

I actually like Nascar. But I guess liking that they turn makes me ignorant. No jokes here from this guy anymore about Nascar, no sir.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
@Ryan Blade Well I apologize. I wasn't meaning that you specifically are ignorant for disagreeing, it was more of a generalized statement. Most people are ignorant about NASCAR and the usual jokes are about how they turn left, So I'm sorry for that.

@:OPJAKE , I don't mind jimmie. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him win #8 one day.

I am practically a week late on this, been busy all week with a new job and family and such so I'll go ahead and do it now:

HE WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP! Martin Truex Jr won the race to claim the championship. Win #8 of the season. What a hell of a ride it's been this season.

On another note, following the pattern of his season, the 78 team was faced with another obstacle the week before the final race. Team owner Barney Visser had a heart attack and bypass surgery and wasn't able to attend the race, and was under doctors orders to not watch the race because of his heart. But I'm sure he atleast caught the end to see his driver win the title. Almost every win this year has come on the heels of negativity for Martin. It is truly astounding.

Thanks for participating in this thread and I apologize to everyone else who seemed annoyed by my posting of race recaps throughout the year.

But the 2018 Daytona 500 is 3 months away and I'll be back with a new thread then.

Reactions: JBan
Status
Not open for further replies.