Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series 2017

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Day late, but I'm here yet again!

The Coca-Cola 600 ladies and gentlemen!

From Charlotte, North Carolina, the MENCS brings you the longest race of the season.

Kevin Harvick won the pole while points leader Kyle Larson was unable to make qualifying and had to start from 39th, 2nd last.

Kyle Busch won stage number 1, Martin Truex Jr won stage 2, Denny Hamlin won stage 3, and for the first (and only) time this season we had a 4th stage which was won on a pit strategy by first time winner Austin Dillon in the #3 Chevrolet. This marks the first time the 3 car has won a race since Dale Earnhardt Sr won at Talladega in October of 2000. The number was retired by owner after Earnhardts fatal crash in February 2001 and only brought out of retirement for the car owners grandson in 2014.

It was a tight battle all race between Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jrthey were pretty even for most of the race, except Truex led a race high 233 laps (third year in a row he led the most laps in this race with only a win last year).
With just under 50 laps to go (approx 75 miles) Truex, then-leader, decided to take a green flag pit stop which Kyle Busch followed suit. Just so that he could make sure to keep pace with Martin at the finish of the race.

Once they came off pit road they were both nearly 1 lap down. Mere seconds away. With 40 laps to go, and fresh tires and fuel, they raced so well that they were closing the gap at an alarming rate. Going from 27 seconds behind to 1 second by the end.
Jimmie Johnson led the race when Truex and Busch pitted, but since he hadn't made a stop in a long time, he ran out of fuel with only 3 laps to go, handing the lead over to Dillon who also hadn't made a stop in about the same amount of time.

Austin Dillon was able to cling onto the lead just barely long enough to cross the finish line. Once completed, he went to do the usual celebratory burnout but ran out of fuel just as he was about to start. Now THAT is called a gamble. Had the race been another 2 laps he wouldn't have won. So he ran to the start/finish line and grabbed the checkered flag, ran and did a head first slide onto the grass, then his pit crew proceeded to push his car to victory lane. What an exhilarating finish to a fine race.

Austin Dillon isn't the first person to have his first cup series win at the 600, either. He's in some rather good company with the likes of Jeff Gordon and a few others.

All in all it was a good race. I missed half of it because rain caused an hour and a half stoppage so the wife and I watched a movie and by the time I turned the race back on, there was only 1 stage left lol

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Although it isn't the Monster Energy series, it's still under the NASCAR umbrella.

The NASCAR Pinty's Series returned to their home track of Delaware Speedway tonight, Saturday June 3rd in Southwestern Ontario for the first time since 2013, which is only 25 minutes from my home so I had to go check it out. After all it IS D.J. Kennington's home track, where he claims to have run over 200,000 laps over the span of his extensive racing career. Incase this is anyone's first time reading this thread, and were too lazy to look, D.J. Kennington is from my city and he's the sole purpose I've even rediscovered NASCAR after a decade when he ran in THE Daytona 500 2017.

Anyways, back to the recap.

Delaware Speedway is one of, if not THE oldest continually operated race track in Canada. This Half-mile paved track was built in 1952 and has been operated this whole time. Usually running super stock and late model races on weekends.

The race started with the #74 of Kevin Lacroix on the pole with an all Quebec top 5 to start. DJ started 8th (I think lol).

There was a pretty good crash right in front of us on the very first lap. 22 got up onto the wall, with his left tires still on the ground, then another car came up from behind and rear ended him. That ended both of their days.

On the restart Lacroix remained out front for the next 90 laps, passing so mucj of the field. By the time the next caution waved, he was less than half a lap behind 5th place (lapping 5th) which is crazy. He had the car to beat.

Caution flag flew around the lap 100 mark when a car spun out in turn two. This is when we went to get food, the cars all pitted and did their caution laps etc. They resumed racing and by now there was a new leader, Alex Labbe #18. Followed by Alex Tagliani and DJ in 2nd and 3rd.

With about 45 laps to go now, there was a tense moment when a car got nudged and smacked the outside wall, turned in and smacked the inside wall, and a car rammed into him hard and t-boned, followed by another car smashing into that guys rear end. The red flag came out and all the drivers came to a stop while everyone was on their feet waiting to see if the driver was ok. He eventually emerged from his car and they cleaned up the wreck and soon got going again.

It didn't take long for the #32 of Alex Labbe to pull ahead to a 10 car length lead over the 2nd place car of #18 Alex Tagliani and behind him was #17 of DJ Kennington. And that's how the race ended. The 24 year old Labbe beat out 2 veterans with over 25 years experience each to take his first victory of the season, 2nd of his career.

So glad I got to go see an actual NASCAR sanctioned race. Even if it was only the Canadian circuit, it was still the top professional level in the country. At least the 2nd and 3rd place drivers have drove in real professional races in their careers. Tagliani has raced in several INDY car races, even won a pole. And kennington has drove in the Daytona 500 this year and tried to qualify for talladega.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
02911_Delaware_Speedway_Aerial.jpg

There's an aerial shot of Delaware. A nice little half-mile track tucked away in the country.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
I'm a little behind this week. But that's ok, because you aren't saying much, neither are you. Or you!

If you...over there!... want to speak up and share any thoughts on a certain race, or on drivers or teams or anything... don't be shy, I'm here to discuss lol.

Any who I'll get on with my recap to myself lol

THE MONSTER MILE - Dover, Delaware

The MENCS rolled into Dover to conquer the monster mile! A 1 mile oval, that always delivers some good racing action.

Kyle Larson was hoping for redemption from last year's race when he battled Matt kenseth the whole race, just to finish second by a very slim margin at the end.

Kyle Busch got the pole, starting up front in first beside my favourite driver; Martin Truex Jr.
Busch got out to a strong start leading many laps before the first caution came out and everyone took to pit road to freshen up their tires. And boy o boy did things take a very dramatic turn.
Busch's crew had a tough time. They changed the right side no problem. Ran around to the left side and the rear tire changers had an issue and the gun got put into reverse somehow. The Jackman who was watching the front tire changers got the all clear sign from them and proceeded to drop the jack. But the rear tire had no lug nuts in it. So the result: the wheel came off as he exited pit road. And did some damage to both his car, track position, and put crew. The guy responsible for putting the lugs on had the gun still on the tire as he pulled off. Wrenching his wrist. The rear tire changer, tire carrier, and pit.crew chief all received a 4 race suspension for a wheel falling off. Some say too harsh, some say rules are rules. I get that it wasn't intentional, which is what that rule is meant to do.... but. If you open that door of intent you're setting a precedent which will allow every other team to cry intent everytime they get caught cheating.

Any who back to the race. Kyle Larson and Martin Truex battled all race for first. All race. Truex had the faster car, Larson had the blocking skills. Making for a fun race. Jimmie Johnson started in the very back of the field. And slowly but surely made his way through the cars.

Fast forward to the end of the race. A late caution brought out the yellow, and again, an overtime finish. 2 laps of mayhem. Johnson was in first with Larson beside him and Truex behind Larson. This restart heavily favoured Truex as he had the freshest tires. But Larson being Larson was able to keep him at bay and Johnson took the lead. Because of the caution from a crash, the track crew put down quick dry over an oil spill... it created a dust cloud when they drove overtop of it. As Larson hit the patch, Ty dillon who was 2 cars back must have swerved or something Because maaaaan did that cause a big wreck. I'd say roughly 15 cars, maybe more, were involved. And since it was overtime and the leader had crossed the overtime commitment line, the race ended under caution with Jimmie Johnson as the leader, winning his third race of the season. 2nd time this year he's started from the last row and won.
Kyle Larson took second, yet again at Dover. At least he's been consistent this season. That has to be his 6th runner up finish.
And my man Martin Truex in third.

So the point leaders are Martin Truex in first with 545 points, Kyle Larson in 2nd with 536 points only 9 behind. Realistically he could easily retake the lead after this week's race. And Kevin Harvick in 3rd with 429 - 116 points behind the leader.

So half way through the season, there's two very consistent drivers who are a great distance ahead of everyone else.

On a special note:

Congratulations goes out to Jimmie Johnson and the #48 Lowes Chevrolet team. He is now at 83 career wins, tied for 6th all time with his idol Cale Yarborough. He is 1 win away from being tied for 4th all time with Darrell Waltrip and Bobby Allison who both have 84. A very realistic feat by the end of this season.

This week the gang is headed to Pocono for the most unique track on the circuit. Dubbed, "The Tricky Triangle".

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well if this thread is a bother I will cease posting. It's kind of pointless anyways lol

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
you know what, I've been steady enjoying NASCAR for the past 5 weeks without posting... I know I said that I would stop, but I can't lol, especially heading into this weekend.

So Kyle Larson and Martin Truex Jr continue to battle it out for supremacy week after week. Last week Larson failed pre-qualifying inspection too many times and missed qualifying, but was still able to race from last place. He proceeded to pass a total of 90 cars (some were multiple) but he passed everyone in the field except for the man himself, Martin Truex, who at one point pulled out to a 15 second lead..... 15 seconds! thats just over half the track ahead of 2nd place, Kyle Larson.

After a late, very late pit stop which saw everyone except for Truex take to the pits and take 4 fresh tires, Martin Truex was able to pull away immediately even on 50 lap old tires. I, along with most people including himself and crew chief, thought he was dead in the water because he struggled on restarts the entire race. Always losing ground right away. But was amazing on the long runs, the longer the green flag racing went, the further ahead he pulled.

After a race ending crash finished the night off, Martin Truex Jr came away with his third win of the season. the second three-race winner of 2017. Well post race inspection revealed that Larson's crew used an illegal brake cooling system which encumbered (took away) his second place finish. Darn, right?

Skip ahead to this week. Qualifying for the 1 mile New Hampshire track.

After all 3 rounds of qualifying, Kyle Larson won his 4th (?) pole of the season, with Truex coming up with 2nd for the 6th time this season. Still has yet to win a pole position. Post qualifying inspection reveals Kyle Larson's car has a Spoiler too large and he loses his pole, sending him to the rear of the field, yet again. Which makes Martin Truex Jr the winner of the pole, and his first pole win of 2017. Although by disqualification, it's well deserved.

So Truex leads Larson by mere points, and Kyle Busch sits in third, but about 10th in the playoff picture, which starts in 8 races. a win and you're in. after that it's based on points.

The season is half done now, if this is really too annoying for anyone, or any mod, then whatever delete it. or ignore it of you're not a mod.

BUT IM STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR NASCAR FANS lol.... hell, any type of auto racing. I've tried to keep up somewhat with IndyCar and Nascar Pinty's Series..... anyone?

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
The race on Sunday was pretty good all around. Had some gold action at different times.

At one point there was 5 or 6 cars all fighting for position, constantly swapping around. It was fun.

Martin Truex Jr started in p1 with jimmie johnson beside him in p2.

They came around turn 4 to get the race started and good ol jimmie attempted to get the advantage on Truex but unfortunately for him he crossed the line before Truex, which is a big no no. So he had to go down pit road and take a penalty that saw him drop back to last place. No biggie for him though lol.

After running solid in stage 1 Truex yet again came away with the stage win, netting his 14th of the season. 10 more than the next in line. And 6 more than the next entire team (of 4 drivers!!)
Kyle Busch had the lead at some point's throughout the race and I believe he took stage 2. Right at the end of stage 2 Truex got a flat tire which cost him a lot of positions. He dropped down to 25th I believe.

He eventually fought his way up and finished in 3rd, right behind none other than....you guessed it, kyle larson.

Denby Hamlin got his first win of the year, which was also Joe Gibbs Racing first victory of the year!!! I'm just so glad it wasn't kyle busch.

Next weekend is Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Brickyard 400. And from the sounds of things, it could be a boring race. Although that's what I've heard about most races from this season that I actually enjoyed. So we'll see.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well I saw about half of indy race and congrats to casey kahne in the #5 who won't be re joining his team in 2018.

Pocono saw Kyle Busch take the checkered flag at the end of the day. Good job.

Watkins Glen International:
Kyle Busch won the pole.

After some trouble on pit road he restarted near the back and got into a wreck with he #2 and really sent him back.

He fought his way to the front. ..twice. and finished 7th.

After winning at 3 mile n a half's this season, Martin Truex Jr, kinda seems like that's his forte. But he was able to silence all of that this week with a win on a road course to maintain the series points lead and the first driver to 4 wins this year. He's being so dominant.

Final round predictions would probably be truex Jr, Johnson, Busch and Larson.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well, fuck whoever that guy was.

I get it though. Not alot of people like NASCAR anymore, because it's a "redneck sport" or whatever. Cars going in circles aimlessly. Beer-drinking, no-good, white trash idiots are all the fan base is, right?

Well if so, consider me the blacksheep. Consider me the intellect, who loves to study the sport. Loves to study statistics on current, and past drivers, and try to keep the "real fans" in check. You know; the ones who have been watching since 1964! the good ol' days of racin'. Who cry and complain and say they no longer care about nascar...even though every week they come on the internet after the race saying the same bullshit. It's no longer about which redneck can turn left the best for 500 consecutive laps. No more is it 4 guys being the highlight of the year for years on end. No. There is a totally new ideological shift. A shift towards trying to gather the NEW viewers. The NEW generation of teens/young adults, while trying to prove to the die-hards who have stuck around through thick and thin that the company could maybe someday thrive again. And in my eyes, after not watching a race for over a decade and deciding to watch the 2017 Daytona 500 ONLY because a guy from my town, who I only know from reading his name in the local newspaper, was running in it.... And now, 26 races later I have become so entrenched in the sport I am now keeping tabs on whose doing well in the lower series. Who are the next guys to come up? Who are the ones projected to do well NEXT SEASON... before this one is even fully complete?

I mean look. I get if NASCAR ins't your thing. Whatever it doesn't matter to me. But please keep that bullshit off of my thread.

Now, I have a job. I don't live in a trailer, I own a home. I have a wife and child. I have a normal, canadian, small-town life and enjoy racing so much that I feel the need to post it on a fucking website about wrestling in hopes to connect with any fans, or anyone who is even the slightest bit interested in it.

With that all said.....

The MONSTER ENERGY NASCAR CUP SERIES Playoffs are beginning tomorrow, Sunday September 17 2017 at Chicagoland Speedway.

For those who don't know the playoffs consist of 4 rounds.

Round of 16 - 3 races
Round of 12 - 3 races
Round of 8 - 3 races
Final 4 - 1 race

To enter the playoffs after the first 26 races you must have either won a race or qualified based on points.
This season there was 13 separate winners and 3 who made it in based on points.
Throughout the season drivers collected PLAYOFF POINTS by winning a stage and/or winning the race. For the first time, NASCAR introduced STAGE RACING. A brand new format that is setup in 3 stages (4 for the Coca-Cola 600) each race consisting of approx 25% fpr the first stage, 25% for the second stage, and 50% for the race win.
Drivers who win either stage one or stage two receive ONE playoff point for each stage towards their playoff start. Drivers who win the third stage are credited with the RACE WIN and 5 Playoff points which they carry with them throughout the playoffs aslong as they remain in the post season.

With all of this under our belts, lets get to the 16 drivers who have made it into the post-season for 2017.
1. Martin Truex Jr (2053 pts) 4 wins, 18 stage wins (most) he had 1 more stage win then the next-best TEAM. of 4 drivers combined! Pure Domination this season.

2. Kyle Larson (2033) 4 wins
3. Kyle Busch (2029) 2 wins
4. Brad Keselowski (2019) 2 wins
5. Jimmie Johnson (2017) 3 wins
6. Kevin Harvick (2015) 1 win
7. Denny Hamlin (2013) 2 wins {1 encumbered}
8. Ricky Stenhouse Jr (2010) 2 wins
9. Ryan Blaney (2008) 1 win
10. Chase Elliott (2006) 0 wins
11. Ryan Newman (2005) 1 win
12. Kurt Busch (2005) 1 win *Daytona 500*
13. Kasey Kahne (2005) 1 win
14. Austin Dillon (2005) 1 win
15. Matt Kenseth (2005) 0 win
16. Jamie McMurray (2003) 0 wins

so 5 of these guys are under 30, and a few are first time winners. a couple are still in their 2nd season of cup racing. This seems fascinating. But next year looks even more competetive as the sport is taking a "youth movement". Out with the old, in with the new.
With the announcement of Dale Jr retiring at seasons end it was announced that Alex Bowman will fill his spot. Bowman replaced Jr last season for the majority of the second half after Jr was involved in an accident and out with concussion. He ran considerable better than Jr who is now a 19 year cup competitor, netting him a top 10 finish. He is currently the simulator driver for Hendrick MotorSports, who tests out the tracks on a simulator and relays which setups are best to use for what race. Pretty tedious task.

Matt Kenseth was told he wasn't going to be renewed for the 2018 season at Joe Gibbs Racing. Instead 21 year old rookie Erik Jones, who is currently on loan to Furniture Row Racing in the #77 Toyota will replace Kenseth in the #20 Joe Gibbs Toyota. Erik has proved he is a definite competitor for future championships. He only missed the playoffs by 2 spots, and he looked remarkable at the end of the regular season. He had 4 top 5s in the final 5 races.

Kasey Kahne was told he wouldn't be returning to drive the #5 Hendricks MotorSports Chevy next year. Instead it was decided, and officially announced only 2DAYS later that 19 year old senstation William Byron would take his spot. Byron currently drives in his first year of Xfinity racing (the 2nd highest nascar series) and is leading on points going into the playoffs. He also won the Truck series last year in his first year. He is on par to win his 3rd nascar championship in only his 3rd year with the company. A remarkable feat. He will be running the #24 HMS Chevy... which makes another move....

Chase Elliott. 22 year old who currently drives the #24 will move into the #9. A number that hasn't been in action for quite sometime. It was the number his father ran in the cup series so it holds some weight to his family. He is currently in his 2nd year in cup and has made the playoffs both season. Still seeking his first win, he has made it in on points in both years. He will surely be hungry and aggressive next season with this young wave.

#10 has been vacated after this season. Still no word on who will replace Danica Patrick. My guess is either Cole Custer from Xfinity, Kasey Kahne, or Matt Kenseth. Dark horse would be Bubba Wallace from Xfinity.

#21 Will be Paul Menard, a rather quiet veteran driver. He'll be replacing....

#12 Ryan Blaney. Currently in his 2nd season, the 23 year old has 1 win this season making the playoffs for the first time. Young guy who has passion and skill. Watch out for him to be aggressive next year. He is finally going to drive for team Penske.

#42 will still be Kyle Larson. The kid is great. He's currently 24 years old and proving he will be a contender for many years to come. This guy should win multiple championships. He will no doubt be aggressive on the track for years. But his personality off the track is soooo laid back and respectful of other drivers. He is a definite fan favourite.

So yeah, there is my write up on the world of nascar. for those of you who don't like it, whatever. that's your choice. i don't dislike you for that. Unless you come in my thread and degrade me. I am passionate about this sport, along with any other thing i get interested in. I am just someone who yearns for knowledge and understanding of endless things. I probably have one of the most open minds of anyone I know, and I am rewarded greatly because of it.

You can't dislike something you've never tried.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
#78 Martin Truex Jr wins for the 5th time this season in the playoffs opener at Chicagoland. He is now entered into the round of 12.

2 races to go in the first round.

To put into perspective the type of year Martin is having:

He now has 12 career cup series wins in 14 years of competition. 14 years! That's not even an average of 1 per year! He is having a career season right now and the guy totally deserves it. He's finally in some great quality cars and he is proving his worth. Don't get it twisted though it's not like just anyone would be able to hop into a great car and win. With good equipment you also need good skill and he is showing plenty of versatility.

Next up is New Hampshire this Sunday at 2pm est.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Kyle Busch won at new Hampshire. Got his 3rd win of the season. Automatically advances into next round.

Next race is Dover. First elimination race where we drop the field from 16 down to 12 after it's over.

Sunday at 2

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
Kyle Busch wins again! Back to back. He played heart breaker with only 1 mile to go. He stole Chase Elliotts first career win right away from him going onto the last lap. It was an amazing ending, but also so hard to watch at the same time. It was intense given the playoff circumstances. Elliott just couldn't get around Ryan Newman who was racing to not be eliminated but that held chase up just long enough for the more experienced Busch to close a 4 second gap in under 40 laps.

Round 2 starts this Sunday at 2 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Eliminated after round 1:
3- Austin Dillon
31- Ryan Newman
41- Kurt Busch
5- Kasey Kahne

Remaining 12:
1 Jamie McMurray
2 Brad Keselowski
4 Kevin Harvick
11 Denny Hamlin
17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr
18 Kyle Busch
20 Matt Kenseth
21 Ryan Blaney
24 Chase Elliott
42 Kyle Larson
48 Jimmie Johnson
78 Martin Truex Jr

The favourites for the cup are

But really anything could happen at any given race.

Status
Not open for further replies.