MLB 2011 Off Season Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
So what are everyone's thoughts on the free agent moves so far? Was anyone surprised to see Pujols head over to LA when it appeared Miami was offering him more money? Where do you see Prince Fielder going? And what are your hopes for your team in the coming season? Discuss all of that here...

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
The Cubs trading Sean Marshall kind of upset me. He is one of the best left handed relievers in the game. I understand why they did it, but I still don't like it. I hope it pays off since Travis Wood is supposed to be a great talent.

Overall I am happy with the Cubs moves this offseason. I have faith in Theo and hope all his moves, or lack there of turn out.

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
you should have faith in Theo he is a great man...I am rooting for the Cubbies this year

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I say that because if you go on the Cubs site and read some of the comments, they are not good. Christ some of these people think he can just pull any string and get any player. They don't realize it is people like David DeJ'esus and Ian Stewart that make a team, not just a Prince Fielder. I really hate internet Cubs fans. The small moves that Theo is making are what is going to put the Cubs over the top, not the huge moves. Like I said, even though I didn't like the Marshall trade, I have faith that Theo and Hoyer know what they're doing and will give us a winner. I don't expect it to happen in 2012, but in the next couple of years I can see it happening. The hiring of Sveum as manager was great. Thankfully Quade is out of there. Fuck that guy. He has put together a hell of a bench too. Bosio as the pitching coach is leagues ahead of Riggins. I am excited for baseball to start. I think we will have a good year. Maybe not finish first, but a good year nonetheless.

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I think you guys could still land Fielder and I know u aren't sure about it but I think it would be really good for ya

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I wouldn't mind Fielder. I just don't want him for more than a 5 or 6 year contract. 10 years is way to long. He would look good in a Cubs uniform though.

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
it would have to be a very large cubs uniform...and I agree he would...

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
With the way he plays the game, I don't care how much material they use. Although he should have to give up a chunk of his salary to pay for all the material that will be used.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
So far this off season has been pretty weak as far as big moves trade wise. We have seen four top tier free agents find new homes though. Mark Buerhle and Jose Reyes signed with the Miami Marlins and Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson sign with the Angels. Aramis Ramirez signed with the Brewers but that wasn't as big of news as what many were probably thinking of. Prince still has not signed anywhere and I think we can thank Scott Boras for that considering he is trying to get Pujols dollars and years. Right now rumor has it that the Nationals are the front runners in the Fielder sweepstakes. They may not offer him the years Pujols got though they may make him the highest paid player annually.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to my team the Cubs. Theo has signed David DeJesus to play right field. I'm not mad about this move even though a lot of Cubs fans are. The guy won't hit 30 HRs but he will get on base, steal bases and possibly drive in some runs even from the lead off spot where he is projected to hit. Theo traded Tyler Colvin and DJ LeMahieu to the Rockies for Ian Stewart and Casey Weathers. I like this move a lot. We get a pretty good third baseman in Stewart and a pitching prospect. Tyler Colvin just didn't hit. I was a big Colvin fan so this trade was a little disappointing in that aspect, but I hope going to Colorado will be a good thing for him. DJ LeMahieu could be good and he showed flashes of being good, but he was still unproven. We know what we are in store for with Stewart. He won't replace Ramirez's numbers but really, who would they get that could? Sean Marshall was moved to Cincinnati for Travis Wood and two low level prospects. I wasn't happy about this as I said before, but I understand it. We get a guy with a ton of potential in Wood that is under club control for the next 5 years. Marshall was a FA at the end of this year and no guarantee that the Cubs would be able to sign him. They signed Jeff Bianchi off of the Royals roster in the Rule 5 draft. This one made no sense to me but maybe Hoyer and Theo have seen something in him that I don't so I won't say it was a bad signing. Earlier last week they signed Sonnastine and Corpas to split contracts which could prove to be a good thing. Both are decent relievers who could shore up the bullpen quite nicely. Corpas coming off of Tommy John surgery is a bit of a gamble that could pay off huge. He was a big contributor to the Rockies World Series run in 07. Sonnastine is another low risk huge reward kind of pitcher. Theo got plenty of chances to look at him when he was with the Sox and they faced Tampa. Matt Garza is on the trading block apparently. Even after Theo said he is the kind of pitcher that you build around. I would like to see him stay with the Cubs and get a 4 or 5 year deal worked out. He is a young pitching stud who needs some offense behind him. He should have easily won 18 games last year if not more. The bullpen (Marmol) blew a lead 8 or 9 times in which Garza pitched. If they do trade him, I hope they get a lot in return since Hendry gave up 4 highly touted prospects for him last year. Zambrano needs to go. They have given him to many chances and in my mind if they can't trade him, they need to cut him. He is a time bomb waiting to explode even more than what he has already done. If they can't trade him, eat the 18 million that is owed to him and have a better chemistry in the clubhouse.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Sources at Espn say that Prince just signed a deal with the Tigers for $214 million for 9 years. In the report is states that Milwaukee never even made an offer to Prince. What a shame since he helped get them so far the last few seasons.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Or they just couldn't afford the absolutely insane price that his agent was asking. $23.7 million a season is a hell of a lot to pay anyone to play a game!

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I can can see the Tigers will be pretty stacked this season now too.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
The Brewers, if they didn't make an offer, knew they would never afford to keep him. As far as the Tigers go now, they are a scary team with that lineup. I never even knew they were really in the hunt for him.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
It is funny to read some of the "hate" so to speak from some writers. The same ones who said Prince is worth every penny he gets, to now saying that it wasn't worth throwing 9 years to him as the Tigers did. The way I look at it, if he is anything like his Daddy, no matter how hard he plays the game his weight will always get questioned. He was going to sign with an AL team the whole time because he knows he will be a DH in 5 or 6 years.

detroitKG

Reaction score
And people wonder why we Detroit Fans have a chip on our shoulders...SIGH
All the hate is ridiculous I personally find it a GOOD problem to have to find a way to play Miggy Prince and Vmart when he's back healthy...
Most teams would kill for those three in their lineups...

I'm pretty jacked about the deal to be honest and how could I not be with the best pitcher in baseball on our team and now the best 1, 2 combo.
Hoping for good things to come! I know I'll be going to a lot of games this summer.