Michael Hutchence biopic planned

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
BBC said:
Work is under way on a film about Australian rock star Michael Hutchence, who died 15 years ago this week.
"It's a big task," said screenwriter Bobby Galinsky, best known for the hit 1990 film Flatliners, starring Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland.

"I've been a writer for 35 years and this is something I've wanted to do for over a decade and everything has now come together," he told ABC radio.

The film will be based on a book by the late INXS singer's mother and sister.

Galinsky, who obtained the rights to the book Just A Man - The Real Michael Hutchence, intends the film to be a biopic in the style of Oscar-nominated movies Ray and Walk The Line, covering the entirety of Hutchence's life.

"I want it to be what was behind the man, not just the guy you saw on stage, but who was Michael Hutchence?," Galinsky told the Australian radio station.

"What drove him, what were his demons, what were his loves - not the persona that people saw on stage for a couple of hours."

Casting

Hutchence became a global star as the frontman of INXS in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with hits such as Need You Tonight and Devil Inside.

Their breakthrough album Kick, released in 1987, sold more than 10 million copies.

Hutchence made headlines with a string of high profile relationships with stars such as Kylie Minogue and Paula Yates, with whom he had a daughter.

He was found dead in a hotel room in Sydney on 22 November 1997.

A coroner found the 37-year-old performer had died from suffocation caused by hanging - he was understood to have been under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time.

The film is set to be titled Two Worlds Colliding, after lyrics from the INXS track Never Tear Us Apart.

No decision has been made regarding casting, but Galinsky said he had been "in conversation with couple of guys" including "an English gentleman [and] several Australians".

"But I would hate to pick someone out at the moment," he added.

INXS continued to tour after the death of Michael Hutchence, eventually replacing the lead singer with a frontman discovered on a reality TV show.

They announced their retirement after 35 years earlier this month.

This could be good, he had an interesting life punctuated by a death surrounded by some mystery. INXS are an awesome band and easily one of my favourite Australian bands of all time and they had a great career. Unfortunately it all got to Michael in the end and he couldn't take it anymore. Be interesting how they deal with his death and with all his relationships throughout his career.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
I am so on board for this! Huge fan of INXS and firmly believe that without Hutchence's death we would talk about them in the company of great 80's bands such as U2 and Van Halen.... a shame Heath Ledger is no longer with us as I think he would have been perfect for the role

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
INXS had some great hits. They're one of the "forgotten" bands of the '80's that sold out stadiums, but all the notoriety goes to U2. Nobody remembers INXS or Depeche Mode (at least here in the US). But I am looking forward to this. This and the Queen biopic with Sacha baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
As far as the band goes, it was so embarassing to see them do that awful reality show and get some fartknocker to be their replacement singer.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
^Us Canadians are to blame for that retarted winner of Rock Star, put a Canadian on a show, and you have an entire country that votes for them, the blonde guy who came in second was the better fit for INXS's style atleast.

We also sell out Depeche Mode shows like they are Tool, seen them 3 times myself.

I do hope this biopic gets made, there are some stories I would like to get a better perspective of, and I know there are alot I have not heard yet.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
^Us Canadians are to blame for that retarted winner of Rock Star, put a Canadian on a show, and you have an entire country that votes for them, the blonde guy who came in second was the better fit for INXS's style atleast.

We also sell out Depeche Mode shows like they are Tool, seen them 3 times myself.

I do hope this biopic gets made, there are some stories I would like to get a better perspective of, and I know there are alot I have not heard yet.

His name was Marty Casey and he was definitely the better choice, I heard somewhere that they knew already during the show that JD Fortune (the douche that won) had a problem with cocaine and none of the band liked the guy at all but network and label officials thought he was more marketable....

All this talk is making me want to go find my copy of KICK, so I'm gonna go do that

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Thank You!, been trying to figure out what that guys name was, I know I wont forget Delanah from Rock Star Supernova(who also lost to a Canadian).

The whole season I was hoping Marty would win, his covers were better, his writting was better, and he looked like if he was 20 years older he would fit right in with the rest of the band. JD was as dumb an option as putting Eminem in the Backstreet Boys.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Yeah Delana was awesome and pretty hot, as was Jordis Unga from the INXS season, was super pumped when she showed up on The Voice last season, thought she would do better..... and now that we've strayed pretty far off topic...... Who do you think would be good to play the Hutchence role?..... Ryan Kwanten (Jason Stackhouse from TrueBlood) is a native Australian who is both young enough and (without sounding too gay) good looking enough to pull it off, just don't know if he can sing

Last edited:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
They will probably just go with Hugh Jackman, or any of the guys from Spartacus(I would say the guy who played Varro: Jai Courtney in season 1, but I also think he is a little too built). People have no imagination anymore, so chances are he will be played by either an Aussie or a Kiwi, that will make women want to go to the theatre to see it.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I'd probably go see this biopic. I do enjoy INXS music. I'm also interested about all the crap that went on behind the scenes. What happened that we didn't see?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I only liked one song that they did with JD Fortune (which has to be one of the worst names ever), Pretty Vegas. Other than that it was a pretty poor partnership and it is just so rare that a band can find a great lead singer to live up to what it used to be. The only band that comes to mind that actually managed to do that was ACDC, they have had great songs with both lead singers and it always felt like ACDC.

I agree that they are a bit of a forgotten band, even here in Australia they aren't as well remebered as I think they should be. They were absolutely huge and were one of very few Australian artists to actually make it big in the US.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This could be interesting, interesting character and a tragic life cut short, also like many have said they were were an effective pop band who now retain kind of a cult status, so I would give this a look.

As for casting I would suggest either Joseph Gordon-Levitt who has the right kind of rocky look, but has really grown as a actor the last few years or Guy Pearce who would have no problem with the acent and would bring a real brooding quailty to the part.