Meltzer says CM Punk can't draw

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
CM Punk can't draw in casuals, that is too damn bad isn't it?

I think that this is fair, he draws in a decent section of hardcore fans but doesn't really appeal to casual wrestling fans that tune in every now and then.

In general I don't think it is fair to compare anyone to Cena as a draw though, he is so far in front of every other full timer.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I think that this is fair, he draws in a decent section of hardcore fans but doesn't really appeal to casual wrestling fans that tune in every now and then.

In general I don't think it is fair to compare anyone to Cena as a draw though, he is so far in front of every other full timer.
And honestly it's going to stay that way. There are no Batistas out there or Edges

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
And honestly it's going to stay that way. There are no Batistas out there or Edges

You never know who will break out and become a star. Edge was around for close to a decade before he managed to become a successful maineventer and draw. When Batista started as Devon's bodyguard no one would have predicted how big he would become, even when he was in Evolution I doubt many predicted he would become as big as he did. It took a perfectly booked storyline after Batista won the Rumble and gradually turned face to get him over. The next Batista or Edge is probably already on tv but hasn't broken out yet.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Its true. But as Gimmick said guys in WWE like Punk and Bryan seem to get very over with the live audience but the people at home don't give 2 shits about them and change the channel. Cena's the only fulltime guy that boosts ratings consistently. Punk and Bryan segments without Cena lose viewers.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
The thing with Dave is unlike anyone on the roster now, he had a package you can sell. Look at Punk when he faced Rock, whenever they talked it was like Rock was talking to some Joe who could have been a front row fan. He can impress in a ring but nothing truly stands out about him. When Dave was elevated, he was the guy who they could truly sell as an animal. He had the physique, he had the intensity, he could work a crowd with a simple thumbs up and down, and so on. It was always easy to tell someone who is casual look at him, as he is easily remembered much like Cena. He was the true 1B they never have come close to replacing and whose shoes Orton nor Punk could never fill despite being pushed down people's throats and been given chance after chance.

Edge was a unique case you are right, but he was on the right path before his first neck injury. They were pushing him during the invasion. He had the whole Highlander appearance, Rb Zombie theme, and was wearing singles gold because they split him before they did the other attitude era teams. He just got hurt and came back into a new world with a brand extension. He took a while to get his footing back and then get to the top, but the difference between Edge and Punk or Randy or even the likes of Jericho who they bring back so much, he mattered. When Edge got there, much like Batista he drew. Edge was unique, he had a certain look to him, he could carry ratings for a show where Punks reign lost them and everyone of Ortons did. Edge was just a larger than life character with the whole Rated R Superstar thing, and he never was an afterthought on his brand because he didnt need someone else to draw for him much like how Punk/Jericho was down right ignored years ago heading into mania because people werent watching for them yet were tuning in for Rock/Cena and Taker/Trips.

I see a lot of same ceiling guys. Punk, Randy, Bryan, Sheamus, Ryback ... All the same ceiling, which is sad because their ceiling is the floor for guys like Dave, Edge, or Cena. This is also why I still won't ever be shocked if they pay for Jeff Hardy to return, he showed more potential for a payoff than Orton or Punk now

Reactions: 1 person

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Edge really received the perfect push. As a stand along character there's not much that really stood out about him. There's guys like Punk who are as good on the mic and in the ring as him. I think the whole Rated R Gimmick and having Lita and those tits of hers on his arm really helped him. His status as Cena's foil went over perfectly, whereas guys like Punk got a year to be established as Cena's #2 but the casual fans never bought into it.

It is amusing though with the IWC's love fest for the indy guys that none of their heroes can even touch a big dumb musclehead like Batista when it comes to drawing power, he was a legit draw always put asses in seats. Shame he retired when he did his last heel run was the best work of his career.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Who defines draw? I mean someone still has to be number two so whose the second highest? Whose to say that Cena is putting the asses in seats? The guy isn't gone long enough to prove he's the only one attracting people

Well, CM Punk could well be number two in drawing power. Honestly, I don't really pay attention to ratings all that much, but from what I've seen over the years Cena gains a lot of viewers when he's on.

I guess it's not fair to compare people's drawing power to John Cena's, because he's in a league of his own. People bashing Punk for not drawing aren't really seeing the bigger picture, it's always been about Cena and no one else. Not even the likes of Orton can compete with him.

Reaction score
Comparing Cena to anyone is unfair as he's the biggest draw and they built him to be the biggest draw. PLus CM Punks return match was also a match we seen before against Jericho with no real build up or reason behind the match.

Is he the biggest star ever? No
But he's a star and if used right can be a big star