McGuinness Hard on Himself for Not Making It To WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
- Former TNA and Ring of Honor star Nigel McGuinness (Desmond Wolfe), who is now retired, told The Daily Star that he has been hard on himself for not making it to WWE.

Nigel added that he is proud of CM Punk and Daniel Bryan for making it to the big show:

“I can’t watch WWE. It’s just too painful. I am forever happy that Dragon and Punk got to that stage, to prove that those of us that paid our dues and did well on the Independents were as good as the hype. I’m not sure I’ll ever come to terms with not getting to WWE, but the fact that Dragon did somehow makes it OK.â€￾

Before McGuinness signed with TNA a few years back, it was reported that he was about to sign with WWE until they rescinded their contract offer. Reports were that McGuinness failed WWE’s pre-screening medical tests for something that was not a drug failure.
I think in the long run had everything went right with his pre-screening he would have been better off in WWE. TNA just saw as a chance to get someone WWE tried to which I say it like that because they apparently didn't screen him properly or at all like WWE since issues later emerged with him that made him have to retire. I knew he was gonna dwindle down fast in TNA because while it was great they had him feud with angle off the bat and all he pretty much had no where else to go but down and TNA didn't seem to know how to build him back up.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
It'd be nice to see him be ringside in some other capacity. Be a nice move for WWE also.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Nigel's a real good commentator, probably my favorite in the business at the moment. He could easily do that in WWE, though something tells me he wouldn't really want to. Don't know why.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
briscoebros
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
nxt
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
i dont know why he wont just fess up and say why he cant wrestle.iv heard hep c,aids,concussions.its a shame because he has main event talent ,main event look,and main even on the mic.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
i dont know why he wont just fess up and say why he cant wrestle.iv heard hep c,aids,concussions.its a shame because he has main event talent ,main event look,and main even on the mic.

The documentary he's done & releasing in a few months will enable us fans to hear it straight from Nigel as to why he retired.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Well. I think it's possible concussion syndrome.

Think about it, if it was Heps or AIDs he wouldn't of risked anyone's health on the retirement tour he did; and thinking about all the times in RoH he constantly got injured and got concussion and post-concussion, it's not surprise if it's really the case.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
That was what the rumored issue was when he failed the WWE screening process so that is what I originally thought it was and then of course the whole heps thing came out. Considering how much more serious concussions are looked at now since the Benoit thing I could see that being what his issue has been all this time.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It is disappointing that he was going to make it to WWE but it was a medical condition that kept him out of it. The concussion syndrome does seem like the most logical answer as to why WWE failed him considering he still continued to wrestle after that so I would doubt that it was a very serious blood borne disease.

Maybe one day he can make it to WWE as a manager or a commentator.

AF.

Reaction score
Guy used to wrestle some brutal matches in ROH. Was a great competitor (even thought I haven't seen much of him, from what I saw he became an instant favourite of mine). He definitely had the personality, the look and the ability to work well in the WWE. His English accent would have given him instant heat, and he could have been booked as a credible monster heel given how stiff and well he worked in the ring.

Damn shame he has regrets. I hope he can get past it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Sucks for him, but please for the love of god don't bring him into the WWE for any sort of mouthpiece role as he has the worst sounding English voice ever

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
briscoebros
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
nxt
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
the thing about concussion syndrome is it can heal if you dont get hit in the head for an extended period.maybe the book isnt 100 percent closed on nigel.im awaiting the documentary it should be interesting.i loved the wrestling road diaries hopefully this will be similar.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
His accent was brilliant dale... What'cha chatting about, sunshine?

He was a bloody spiffing chap and knew how to show the two fingers to any Yankee Wanker :D!

^Been too long since I played Desmond Wolfe in Feds... Still undefeated as him.
===============================================================

As for this whole Idea I brought, saying concussion syndrome heals, yes that's true and a blood born disease is incredibly hard to protect again, even the smallest cut can spread it.

He certainly was possibly a better OVERALL wrestler than Dragon and certainly stronger than Davey Richards, hopefully we'll see McGuinness and Steen go at it some what cause it seems that way slightly. Who knows? He certainly managed his retirement tour and I'm sure he'd love to a finale in Ring of Honor, some way, some form and they certainly need someone like him to come back to help the likes of Davey Richards, Steen and Edwards to look even remotely credible compared to their precessors like McGuinness, Bryan Danielson, Morishama, Samoa Joe.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Imagine what would have happened if he was in WWE, I personally think they would have buried him. I would have loved to see him and Daniel Bryan go at it in a WWE ring.

Lewb

Reaction score
You lost in a six pack challenge in UCW as wolfe EoR but none the less. :p

Its a shame he never made it to WWE, I always thought the skills were there, and he was great on the mic. He could still contribute as a manager or something along those lines.