Matt Morgan Reportedly Granted His Contractual Release From TNA Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Matt Morgan's six-year tenure with TNA Wrestling has come to an end as he was granted his release from the organization on Tuesday, according to ProWrestling.net. He requested his release from the company one month ago, which was well known among his colleagues.

Morgan was excluded from the annual Bound for Glory Series and had only appeared on television once in the last month—losing a Four-way Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match to Magnus on the June 13 episode of Impact Wrestling.

On the April 25 episode of Impact Wrestling, Morgan confronted Hulk Hogan and offered his services to take out the Aces and Eights, in exchange for being named the number one contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at Slammiversary. After having his request denied, Morgan faced Sting the following week in a Number One Contender's Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, which Sting won after locking Morgan in the Scorpion Deathlock. Morgan subsequently disappeared from television before returning for the Bound for Glory Series Qualifying Match.
I'm over the moon for the guy that he's finally out of TNA as they clearly have no idea what to do with someone like him. I honestly thought that during his stuff with Hogan and mentioning how he's made so many mistakes that he would ultimately clean up Hogan's mistakes and become the world champion at BFG. For me, the guy is the total package for a big man and has been criminally underutilised in TNA and I hope to god that the WWE signs him as I see him as a total package main eventer for them.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
*waits for the LOP headline about "Sources Confident Matt Morgan will be signing with WWE in the near future"*

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I can't help but laugh at this, they bring him back and do nothing then he asks for his release and gets it. How many times has this happen with him 5. He'll be back in TNA next year.

NEXT!

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Once they missed their biggest chance with him a while back when he was feuding with Angle I figured he would never get another crack at being in a top position in TNA. Doubt he will get pushed at a main event level in WWE though. He'll probably get the initial push like they did with Tensai and then do something silly with him after.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Once they missed their biggest chance with him a while back when he was feuding with Angle I figured he would never get another crack at being in a top position in TNA. Doubt he will get pushed at a main event level in WWE though. He'll probably get the initial push like they did with Tensai and then do something silly with him after.
They had the chance with him during the recent Hogan storyline (not sure if you watched it) but they dropped the ball massively with him to unsurprisingly focus all the attention on Hogan/Sting/A&E.

He could easily take a main event spot on SmackDown at the absolute minimum though. Orton and Sheamus while still serious players don't appear to be the top dogs on there for whatever reason and Dolph/ADR will never have the credibility Morgan could have providing they don't hinder him with a shit gimmick / name.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
They had the chance with him during the recent Hogan storyline (not sure if you watched it) but they dropped the ball massively with him to unsurprisingly focus all the attention on Hogan/Sting/A&E.

He could easily take a main event spot on SmackDown at the absolute minimum though. Orton and Sheamus while still serious players don't appear to be the top dogs on there for whatever reason and Dolph/ADR will never have the credibility Morgan could have providing they don't hinder him with a shit gimmick / name.

Didn't WWE already use Matt Morgan under his real name before? Of course the gimmick was stupid but they could bring him in and still use his Matt Morgan name. I don't see why they would change it.

Honestly he could fill the big guy hole that Undertaker, Big Show, and probably soon Kane, will leave. There's not a lot of legit big men left that are also very good in the ring, and Morgan would fit that role perfectly. I would love to see a Morgan/Sheamus encounter. Wonder if they'd still let him use the Carbon Footprint though.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Didn't WWE already use Matt Morgan under his real name before? Of course the gimmick was stupid but they could bring him in and still use his Matt Morgan name. I don't see why they would change it.
Yeah but they seem to want to change everyone's name nowadays though so I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted something new to trademark and possibly distance from his original WWE and TNA run.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Not surprised by this at all, I wasn't a fan of the guy until I saw how bad TNA was misusing him and I started feeling sorry for him. He's improved a ton the last few years and deserves another chance with WWE.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Shame. I've always been a fan of Morgans in TNA, and was seriously hoping to see him finally get pushed this time around but for whatever reason creative obviously didn't see nothing in him.

I'd like to see him go back to WWE and get the push he deserves, but whether that happens remains to be seen.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
No surprise he has reached his peak there the timing is about right to move on. If they didn't give him the big push the first time I can't see WWE doing it this time, but maybe worth a shot.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Yeah, Iv'e Never A Fan Of His In Ring/Promo Stuff. He Was Just Boring To Me.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
his guy is a giant who has some experience under his belt, Vince would trip over himself trying to sign him. Better learn to work like a giant and cut out the flying shit.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Nah I haven't watched TNA in a while so wasn't aware of the storyline he was in. Hardly surprising though considering the guys involved.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
He should never have signed that new deal after his TNA contract expired last year. There was that issue with the TNA/WWE lawsuit but surely he could have found some other work elsewhere rather than continuing to go backwards in TNA.

This is a great move for him and a terrible move for TNA. This guy had all the talent required to be a huge star for them but for whatever reason they kept holding him back. He should have been a star for TNA years ago, especially with his extra exposure on American Gladiators, they should have capitalised on that.

WWE would be crazy not to sign him. He has improved immensely since he was last under contract with WWE and he could easily slot into the upper midcard. Huge guy that can talk and move around the ring, should be a no brainer. Undertaker, Kane, Khali etc. don't have long left and they need to be replaced. Morgan is 36 so he has at least five years left in him.