Masked Wrestlers - WWE need more

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It is my suggestion that WWE put a mask on every wrestler in WWE!

Well not quite everyone but I do think that WWE need to introduce a few more masked wrestlers. CM Punk adding a mask after having his head shaved was a smart move and it enhances his look and gimmick in my opinion. After seeing him with the mask it made me wonder why more wrestlers don't go for a mask. I can understand that it may be restrictive for some but I feel that it can add to certain gimmicks and allows a whole new range of gimmicks to be used.

Currently in WWE Rey Mysterio, CM Punk and the SES masked member wear masks. Just think back to some of the previous wrestlers who wore masks; Kane, Mankind, Hurricane, Vader. Most have been successful and more importantly had clearly defined gimmicks and characters. They were never bland or forgettable wrestlers, they were memorable and didn't just blend in like some others do.

I would like to see a few more wrestlers wear masks, especially heels as it makes their persona more mysterious and of course for WWE gives them more merchandise options.

Are you a fan of masked wrestlers? Would you like to see more/less masked wrestlers in WWE?

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I can understand this but in my opinion unless it is for your heritage, your ridiculous ugly, your hiding your identity or you can't get over any other way there is little reason to wear a mask. Now those are 4 legit reasons that there could be more masked guys than there are.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
test
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
me and scotts opinions are completly different it looks like when it comes down to this subject! im a huge fan of wrestling masks even when you're not ugly,mexican ETC! Just look at people who have wore a mask and been none of those things? Kane,Mankind,Abyss! From the exception of mankind there all decent wrestlers! and i think it builds a character quite well by having a mask on, Depending on the situation!

Tomo

Reaction score
Troy you make some valid points, but let's break it down about their memoribility;

Kane - He debutted masked and attack his brother in the last ever Five Star match in WWE, causing him to be an impactful force through out his trendure with the mask, he won the title with in his first year and had Paul Bearer by this side... Then let's face it, it's gone pretty down hill from there.. His unmasking at first was great, awesome, brilliant... Now look at him :/.

Hurricane - Based on the Green Lantern, his character was rememberable for being comedic, being the Rock and was generally a solid wrestler in the ring amongst other stuff, when he came unmasked as Gregory Helms (bear with it, we know he was Shane Helms, blah blah blah) his Cruiserweight title run become stronger and better and he was champion for a year?

Mankind - Foley was made in ECW as Cactus Jack, everyone knew it was Foley, but let's face Mankind was only one to win the title because he was their creation, the corpation machine they made out of Foley, etc. etc...

Big Van Vader - Vader is one my favourite wrestlers, my favourite big man in the business, he'll be remembered for being extremely overweight, stacked but could Moonsault, throw German Suplexes amongst other things, Vader will be remembered for his in-ring ability. Vader always had a mic man to carry him everywhere in the promos.

That is my break down how those guys got over, the mask is just an object of illusion and storyline in Kane's part, Hurricane perhaps, but certainly not for the other two, they made their trade else where, thus far, the mask isn't a key part of Amercianised wrestling, it's more in Mexico where the mask can help make or break a wrestler, see Mistico and Blue Demon and co.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Some good points and i will break it down the same way:

Kane: The mask was essential in the beginning. Bearer said that Undertaker had a long lost half brother and that he was burnt in the fire. Therefore he had to wear the mask to fit the storyline. It also made him more mysterious since no-one could see who he actually was and so for that specific gimmick the mask was needed. Kane has been in the mainevent or there abouts ever since he debuted so he has done quite well out of it.

Hurricane: The mask was needed since he was a superhero and as superheroes always hide their identity he needed to wear a mask so people didn't know who he was. Of course people actually knew it was Helms but for that specific gimmick he had to wear a mask. It wouldn't have made any sense to play that character without the mask.

Mankind: Mankind was the only one to win the title because he was the character that he played in WWF/E and it was by far the most popular gimmick that he had. Wrestlers are almost always recreated when changing federations and WWF/E wanted to have him make his own mark in their company rather than just using what he was in WCW/ECW. Once again the specific gimmick required a mask, he was a mysterious character to start with, he was a tortured soul and chose to hide his face. For the specific gimmick the mask was required.

Vader: Yes he was a great big man, excellent wrestler and great on the mic. The mask added to his gimmick though and worked for his character. Can you think of him without the mask, it just wouldn't be Vader without that mask.

Overall what I am trying to say is that I know the mask wasn't the reason for them getting over and receiving title shots. The mask in each case was essential to that specific gimmick and helped make that gimmick work. As always wrestling skill and mic talent is going to be a major factor but the right gimmick can make someone. In all these cases these four wrestlers were the most over and reached their highest points when they had the masks on and worked gimmicks with masks. Again masks aren't for every single wrestler, however for specific gimmicks they are essential as they make the character. There are too many similar characters in wrestling these days and wrestlers like those listed above were different from the norm and that certainly helped them in their careers.

R.D Punk

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of masked wrestlers but it needs to have a gimmick that comes with it. For example, Kane, killed his mother and farther in a fire. Rey Mysterio, Lucha Libra. They all have a mask and they have a gimmick and they are huge. I don't want too see to many masked wrestlers but when one comes around, I want to see a kick ass gimmick.