Malakai Black takes some time off

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gambit

Reaction score
I’ll be honest that early era of AEW didn’t really hook me at all. I liked the shows that I did decide to watch but I just didn’t get that need to see it until winter is coming when you can feel Tony Khan taking over.

A lot of it was creative, but the roster didn’t feel it’s see for me in the beginning. Like a lack of the it factor.
I thought Scorpio Sky having that moment with Jericho then the match and how great he was subbing for Daniels in the first round was gonna have a breakout moment. I watched dude since PWG days in the mask. So talented for being where is on the card.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I’ll be honest that early era of AEW didn’t really hook me at all. I liked the shows that I did decide to watch but I just didn’t get that need to see it until winter is coming when you can feel Tony Khan taking over.

A lot of it was creative, but the roster didn’t feel it’s see for me in the beginning. Like a lack of the it factor.
the mid and lower card stuff was very hit and miss for sure. the top of the card and tnt title days I loved , Cody's best run in AEW imo. But there was a lot of throwing stuff at the wall and it didnt always work. Also I'll die on the hill The Elite needed to be selfish early, especially in the tag division. I think they got a little too worried about perception instead of putting your best assets forward.

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
oh also, one really awesome angle at Dailys:
the entire fall of hangman . shit was so good

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
the mid and lower card stuff was very hit and miss for sure. the top of the card and tnt title days I loved , Cody's best run in AEW imo. But there was a lot of throwing stuff at the wall and it didnt always work. Also I'll die on the hill The Elite needed to be selfish early, especially in the tag division. I think they got a little too worried about perception instead of putting your best assets forward.

I didn't even like the Bucks as much as i do now but I was screaming for them to just be tag champs already for the longest time it felt like :lol

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I miss the dark order hangout tbh :sadpanda

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
They were all 100% worried about that "booking yourself title runs" perception

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I didn't even like the Bucks as much as i do now but I was screaming for them to just be tag champs already for the longest time it felt like :lol
yeah, it was very annoying until Hangman Omega tag team run of destiny

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
yeah, it was very annoying until Hangman Omega tag team run of destiny

Not criticizing this at all especially with hindsight but at the time I was like lmao why the fuck are these two Elite singles guys teaming up instead of the most over tag team on your roster

Gambit

Reaction score
Cody lost steam to after that. Like he was the TOP baby face and loved by the people. But then he weirdly disassociated with The Elite to be with nightmare family and have the Codyverse.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I will say Cody knew how to book Cody lol and I love Cody so I’m not even mad at it.

And yeah I think that’s one of the main reasons why Tony taking the book during the fall that year was such an important thing for AEW because it allowed Kenny omega and the Bucks to be pushed I mean even Kenny didn’t wanna put the world title on himself and he should’ve been world champion way before he was.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Cody booking himself out of the title match smh
Yeah. I never understood that. Like I get not wanting to be the book yourself as champion guy… but like it’s just dumb to completely book yourself out of the world title scene..

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Not criticizing this at all especially with hindsight but at the time I was like lmao why the fuck are these two Elite singles guys teaming up instead of the most over tag team on your roster
It was more egregious to me that Bucks put over Private Party and then PP just loses anyways to what most ppl would consider a less good team. was very odd booking

Reactions: Chris

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I will say Cody knew how to book Cody lol and I love Cody so I’m not even mad at it.

And yeah I think that’s one of the main reasons why Tony taking the book during the fall that year was such an important thing for AEW because it allowed Kenny omega and the Bucks to be pushed I mean even Kenny didn’t wanna put the world title on himself and he should’ve been world champion way before he was.
at least he was third, which was "always TK's plan" but thats according to Tony who says he had his first 4 champs lined up.

At least with Omega he got a good tag run with a good story so I was less miffed about him not being champ so long as he was used prominently. In the end it all ended up good though, I still think he has the most memorable title win in AEW history atm

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Cody lost steam to after that. Like he was the TOP baby face and loved by the people. But then he weirdly disassociated with The Elite to be with nightmare family and have the Codyverse.
Cody disappeared from BTE at the same time so I think there may have been a reason for that, but we may never know the whole story.

I also think Tony taking the book also negatively impacted Cody’s booking. Cody definitely knew how to get himself over. That might have been the one area I’d have let Cody retain if I was Tony.