Long Title Reign for AJ?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
TNA really needs a good long title reign and since AJ is their "franchise" player, he should keep this belt until BFG. One year title reigns are very difficult in the 24 hour wrestling world. However, AJ started out as a face champion and turned heel while still having the title. I don't think that's ever happened before. He was also paired up with Flair.

I really think it's important for TNA to put real stock in AJ Styles.

LKP

Reaction score
He has had the title since September am i right? I think he will lose it at lockdown i got that gut feeling. But if they keep it on him for a year that is cool he deserves it.

Reaction score
^^^Yeah, the last 2 years, Lockdown has become the first big ppv to have a title change. I'm not against Pope, but they could make money having him chase AJ for the summer.

hndsmepete

Reaction score
^^^Yeah, the last 2 years, Lockdown has become the first big ppv to have a title change. I'm not against Pope, but they could make money having him chase AJ for the summer.

I would much rather Pope win the belt than Abyss. Abyss should never be in the title picture. He is an attraction like Andre was, but lacking in the charisma & skill departments. Pope isn't lacking those. Even if he doesn't win he should be able to give AJ a good match, which is something AJ needs desperately after the garbage Abyss feud. I don't see AJ lasting a year with the belt, longest he goes is August.

Reaction score
^^^True about Abyss. His character comes off as a mentally challenged Rain Man type.

hndsmepete

Reaction score
^^^True about Abyss. His character comes off as a mentally challenged Rain Man type.

I wish they'd go back to the Abyss from the first Barbed-wire Massacre vs Sabu. He was portrayed as vicious and psychotic, not the current slow-witted & childlike version. He really is the current Eugene.

Reaction score

Pretty much this.

If TNA are going to have AJ be the face of TNA (well, besides Hogan, Flair, Sting and the rest of the senior citizens), then let him hold the belt for a long time, make it mean something, then have him drop it. I want to see a Flairesque reign when Pope chases and chases and AJ avoids and avoids until maybe at Bound For Glory, Pope finally wins the title. That way AJ has held the gold for thirteen months so the title change means something, Pope has finally got the title in what is an emotional moment, and you've got something to happen on your flagship Pay-Per-View.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I really hope he drops this Flair jr. gimmick. When I saw him come out in a Flair robe, I just shook my head. IMO, AJ is a terrible heel. It's laughable. Not the least bit believable.

Reaction score
No. No. No. All of AJ's title reigns have been failures, this one foremost. Put the strap on Pope, turn Pope heel, his gimmick as a heel has $$$$$ written all over it, AJ has never drawn. Sorry, but he hasn't, ever. He just doesn't have superstar charisma. He has superstar talent, but that's where it starts and stops with AJ.

Put a heel Pope in the top position, bring Joe back, drop this atrocious angle he's in, have hims start smoking chumps again because he can easily get over with how intense he is in the ring, and have him chase Pope. That has more money written all over it than Pope-AJ and it's not Pope's fault that AJ is better off as a mute.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
^^^

Pope was a heel when he 1st came in remember. He was way too over with the fans and still is to the point he wont get boo'd. Unless he beats the shit out of Hogan or something.

Pretty much this.

If TNA are going to have AJ be the face of TNA (well, besides Hogan, Flair, Sting and the rest of the senior citizens), then let him hold the belt for a long time, make it mean something, then have him drop it. I want to see a Flairesque reign when Pope chases and chases and AJ avoids and avoids until maybe at Bound For Glory, Pope finally wins the title. That way AJ has held the gold for thirteen months so the title change means something, Pope has finally got the title in what is an emotional moment, and you've got something to happen on your flagship Pay-Per-View.

I actually like this idea. But I don't see them having Pope chasing AJ for that long. Especially since they have Hardy and RVD there. As great as that would be, they'd put less and less focus on Pope til the point where no one cares anymore. He's lost a lot of steam from when he won at AAO with Abyss in the title pic. That was just one month. Imagine what would happen if they kept that going up til Bound For Glory.

Reaction score
^^^

Pope was a heel when he 1st came in remember. He was way too over with the fans and still is to the point he wont get boo'd. Unless he beats the shit out of Hogan or something.

People love the Pope. His first match last year was when they started "Pope is Pimpin" chants. I just posted in the WWE board about lack of black champions but he's in line to be a great one, no pun intended.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
He has amazing charisma. I also hear that someone doesn't write his promos either. He just goes out and talks. But if they didn't stall his push after winning at AAO and kept going with it (without The Abyss anywhere near the title), the 2 month build-up would have solidfied me in believing that Pope would win the title. Right now I'm not too sure. If he doesn't win the title at Lock, the next ppv he should challenge again and win. But they can't let this oppertunity pass them by.

...god...

Reaction score
No. No. No. All of AJ's title reigns have been failures, this one foremost. Put the strap on Pope, turn Pope heel, his gimmick as a heel has $$$$$ written all over it, AJ has never drawn. Sorry, but he hasn't, ever. He just doesn't have superstar charisma.
No way the Blue TNA audience would let Pope get over as a heel. Guy is the most over wrestler in the company. Heel, cocky Joe vs. Pope would be sick though. And turn Wolfe bad ass face and feud with AJ, tbh.

TheAnswer

Reaction score
See if the Pope does win, I would like to see it happen at BFG. Like how Cena , Benoit, and Batista all won there first world chapionship at the flagship show.

And, I still think there going to put AJ in a feud with Abyss again, as well as RVD or Jeff Hardy.

I want Pope to win and get over big, but I don't know where you go from after him as champion. Have him and Styles stay in a program for another 2 months or so?

Have him lose to Styles because Sting or someone jumps in and start a program with them, while Styles feuds with others until BFG.

EnterTamed

Reaction score
AJ does draw, go to any tna live event and AJ gets the largest chants and reaction and also he carried the damn company in his back for the first 4-5 years. Even as the X division champion people were coming to see him and they still are. If you say his title reigns are failures cuz he hasn't drawn then you have to say every tna champion has never drawn cuz of their ratings. But it isn't about the ratings, when AJ first won his 1st nwa-tna heavyweight title the people there knew he was instantly their star and the guy that no matter what gimmick he's in they'll be behind. People just hate his gimmick but they cheer the hell out of him whenever he does something no one else can do.