Long Title Reign for AJ?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
^^^Agreed. AJ Styles has the kind of marketability you need in a champion. He's fit, women seem to like him, he's athletic and can be a high flyer or a mat wrestler. He's really TNA's answer to Chris Jericho.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
^^^

Pope was a heel when he 1st came in remember. He was way too over with the fans and still is to the point he wont get boo'd. Unless he beats the shit out of Hogan or something.

I think at this point, people would still cheer if he beat the shit out of Hogan, lol.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
^^^

lol, good point. Maybe Dixie or somebody. If they wanted to turn someone face and get the loudest reaction, beat the shit out of Bubba.

Reaction score
^^^Agreed. AJ Styles has the kind of marketability you need in a champion. He's fit, women seem to like him, he's athletic and can be a high flyer or a mat wrestler. He's really TNA's answer to Chris Jericho.

But Y2J is much much much better.

Reaction score

By agreeing with the previous post, that would imply you're saying Jericho is a draw, which is baffling.

Reaction score
AJ does draw, go to any tna live event and AJ gets the largest chants and reaction and also he carried the damn company in his back for the first 4-5 years. Even as the X division champion people were coming to see him and they still are. If you say his title reigns are failures cuz he hasn't drawn then you have to say every tna champion has never drawn cuz of their ratings. But it isn't about the ratings, when AJ first won his 1st nwa-tna heavyweight title the people there knew he was instantly their star and the guy that no matter what gimmick he's in they'll be behind. People just hate his gimmick but they cheer the hell out of him whenever he does something no one else can do.

I disagree with this.TNA has never drawn anything with anyone really. But moreso, TNA is dropping like rain with AJ as champ right now, they're doing their worst business in 5 years. Atleast with Angle and Joe at the top spot the ratings were standing pat or slightly increasing, nothing of the such can ever be said of AJ.

And yes it is about ratings. Because TNA really doesn't have that much of a live event business. They struggle to get 500 people in small arenas in Podunk towns. That right there says he isn't a draw. The failing ratings are further indictments against the guy. He might get the largest pops at live events, but having a large size indy crowd doesn't justify being a draw for a promotion that is trying to be national. He's a great indy draw, but in terms of legit, bankable status, he just isn't it. And popping for highspots and popping for a guy who draws is totally different. AJ gets his pops for his wrestling ability, not because he is as big a star as people think he is. I know that sounds dumb but there is a HUGE difference between his heat and say a Jeff Hardy heat .

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I agree with Enzo. I love AJ and all but he isn't a draw point blank. He may be one of the best workers in the world, but John Cena he is not, hell he isn't even a Edge or Randy Orton. He isn't a drawable name, Angle, Joe, Sting. Those are all drawable names.

I personally have enjoyed AJ's reign for the most part but keeping the strap on him isn't going to be good for TNA in the long run. A guy like Angle, Joe, Sting or even Jeff Hardy could do more for TNA. They are names that could imo help TNA get bigger ratings and PPV buy rates then Styles. AJ would better be suited in a role where he isn't looked at as the top name, maybe the top talent b ut not the top name. I think he is similar to a Bret Hart type, a great worker no doubt about it, but not a huge DRAW.