Live SummerSlam Discussion Thread - Saturday August 5th 2023

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Butters

That's Me!
Reaction score
Hopefully tho, we have seen the last of Logan Paul for awhile.

Butters

That's Me!
Reaction score
BUT, I wasn't here for the live chat but naming his split leg drop Hogan Paul, ALMOST made me like him.

• Haha
Reactions: Vegeta

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
I swear there was a gif of the 2013-15 era (late PG era) "then now forever" but instead it said "same old shit"

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Sheamus/Drew was good, Seth/Finn was good. LA Knight winning the battle royal was a YEAH moment. Aside from that I was disappointed by everything else. No cap.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- WWE® (NYSE: WWE) today announced that SummerSlam which emanated from Ford Field in Detroit became the most-watched and highest-grossing SummerSlam in company history. The premium live event set new records for viewership, gate, sponsorship and merchandise.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230807791088/en/

With 59,194 in attendance in the Motor City, SummerSlam generated a record gate of $8.5 million, the largest gate for any non-WrestleMania event ever. It was the most-watched SummerSlam in company history and among the top three audiences in the history of WWE on Peacock.

SummerSlam generated the most sponsorship revenue for any non-WrestleMania event ever with $7 million, up 23 percent versus 2022. Slim Jim®, C4 and Rocket Mortgage were among WWE’s sponsors for the premium live event.

In partnership with special event retail partner Fanatics, merchandise sales were up 60 percent versus the record set in 2021, marking the best performance in company history for any premium live event outside of WrestleMania. On Location packages set a new SummerSlam record, up 47 percent versus 2022.

In addition, SummerSlam became the most-viewed social SummerSlam of all time with over 230 million views and four million hours of video consumed, a 26 percent increase over last year.

Reactions: Vegeta

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Those sponsorship and merchandise numbers are quite something

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Defeating Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam was a life highlight for Cody Rhodes.

Rhodes and Lesnar ended their storyline at SummerSlam this past Saturday. After being beaten down for much of the match, Rhodes came back to get the victory. He pinned Lesnar after hitting three straight Cross Rhodes.

Rhodes was interviewed by SI FanNation following SummerSlam. Rhodes said the victory was a top moment in his career -- and one of the top moments of his life.

“I have been so consistently surprised that I can’t get used to these moments. First I won the Royal Rumble. Now I beat Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam? They’re once-in-a-lifetime moments in a once-in-a-lifetime run," Rhodes said. "This is my mega run, and the journey has been incredible. This is a top moment in my career, and it’s also a top moment in my life.”

Lesnar showed respect to Rhodes by shaking his hand after the match. The two hugged and Lesnar raised Rhodes' arm in the air.

“As I saw him taking his gloves off, I sincerely thought he was going to start swinging,” Rhodes told SI FanNation. “Then we went head-to-head, and it felt like we were a millisecond away from starting up again. So I didn’t anticipate that handshake coming.

“When I saw his hand, I was grateful. That’s not something he does. Again, this run has consistently surprised me. The torch isn’t passed. You have to take it.”

Rhodes said he and Lesnar didn't talk backstage after the handshake.

“I came to the back, there was a nice ovation in the Gorilla Position, but Brock was nowhere to be found,” Rhodes said. “I didn’t see him the rest of the night. The way I see it, we didn’t need to speak. Brock left it all in the ring.”

This was Rhodes' second victory over Lesnar in a three-month period. Rhodes defeated Lesnar at SummerSlam and Backlash, while Lesnar won at Night of Champions.

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Seems like Brock is out of dates for the rest of the year... maybe? :hmm:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I believe he's advertised for Fastlane in October but I don't remember where I heard that exactly

Reactions: Death By Looch