Live SummerSlam Discussion Thread - August 23rd

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ace

Reaction score
I think we're getting into dicey territory re Undertaker's "classics." He has had good matches with those guys, sure. But classics is a step too far.

And yes, you make a good point with his character hampering his ability to put on good matches due to all the gimmicks and stuff.

I don't think he's a great in-ring worker but I think you're harsh if you think he is genuinely awful. For a porky boy like him he is decently agile and doesn't really botch much. He's not meant to wow you with his technique and moves; he's meant to be a strong character who can hold his own in the ring.

Ace

Reaction score
But as for the show...

Show looks pretty solid to me, honestly.

Orton vs. McIntyre has been a red hot rivalry, although I feel like the attack on HBK this week was just too obvious and repetitive, so I wish they would saved the Flair attack for the go-home show instead. The big question is how they will mesh as opponents, because there's some people Orton tears down the house with, but all too often, it feels like he doesn't have chemistry with his rivals.

Asuka taking on Banks and Bayley in the same night is an interesting situation, and honestly, I think it might have been their best route, because otherwise we woulda had Bayley once again defending her belt against a pretty random and uninteresting opponent. I think announcing Bayley and Banks defending their tag belts at Payback is some misdirection from WWE to make people think their relationship is going to survive SummerSlam, so I'm kind of expecting something big to happen with them at this show (quite likely Bayley losing her title, if not both of them losing their belts to Asuka).

Dominik vs. Seth is one I'm certainly on the fence about. I don't care too much for Dominik, largely because his look is vanilla and he's been thrust into such big spots without having ever wrestled. That might be somewhat unfair to him, because no one's gonna turn down that kind of opportunity, but needless to say he has a lot to prove here. I do think Rollins is pretty much the perfect guy to ensure his first match goes off without a hitch. Rollins has been probably more entertaining than ever in his current role, and being the company guy that he is, you know he'll go all out to make Dom look good in his debut. Both guys have proven a willingness to take a beating, so I hope for maximum brutality in their street fight.

MVP is one of the most entertaining acts in the company right now, but it's obvious that his best in ring days are a good decade or so behind him. Apollo isn't someone who inspires a ton of intrigue on his own either. But, despite low expectations for the match quality, I am enjoying the storyline, so I'm down to watch this match happen. I'm predicting Cedric Alexander costs Apollo and joins The Hurt Business.

Street Profits vs. Angel and Andrade is a pretty standard tag match. Neither team is just amazing, but both are solid and have great entertainment skills. Should be solid at worst.

Sonya vs. Mandy in hair vs. hair is actually an intriguing match. Their feud has been handled pretty much perfectly, with Sonya especially reaching a new level through all this (though kudos to Mandy on being a much more effective face than I anticipated). Anytime there's the likelihood of someone losing their hair, it's likely to be worth watching.

Braun vs. Bray is a match I'll watch and be blown away if it's any good.
I agree with your feeling on most of these except I think you're being harsh on a tag team match with Andrade and Montez Ford in it. Two of the most talented in-ring performers in WWE right now.

Also I am heavily opposed to you on Braun vs Bray but we've been through this.

Oh and I also don't think Alexander switches to the Hurt Business, I think Apollo wins clean and moves on from the rivalry while the hurt business focuses more on Bobby and Raw underground.

Ace

Reaction score
Just on the Bray topic again I think I'm far less invested in in-ring performance as opposed to character and storyline in wrestling so my stance on Bray will clearly be different from others who are not inclined in such a way.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I think Angel and Andrade are both spectacular workers, and I've got love for The Profits as well, but Angel and Andrade are a newer team and The Profits don't really have any truly amazing matches under their belt, so I do think it'll be a good match no matter what, just not anything that's gonna knock your socks off.

However I am open to having my socks knocked off.

Reactions: Ace and Kiffy Lube

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
All I want from that tag match is the Viking Raiders to show up and destroy everyone.

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
SethRollins1
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
jtPFFXH
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Aw they didn't make a Summerslam "I Wasn't There" shirt :francis After they made them for Mania I was hoping Slam would get one too that I could buy lol.

Pat

Yowie Wowie Enthusiast
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
jeffhardy
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Sports Team
v0Br4GW
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Aw they didn't make a Summerslam "I Wasn't There" shirt :francis After they made them for Mania I was hoping Slam would get one too that I could buy lol.

sorry you weren’t able to be there mox. hopefully we get live events back soon! :)

Reactions: Mox Girl

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The betting odds have Orton as the favorite :pull

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi

Pat

Yowie Wowie Enthusiast
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
jeffhardy
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Sports Team
v0Br4GW
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
:lol I didn't see that, sometimes they do have prop bets listed though and I think that's been one before

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler