Live Royal Rumble Discussion Thread - Saturday 29th January

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I don't even like Miz that but this feud was so one-sided it's ridiculous. They should have given the win to the heels.
That's what I thought the other day.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
He hasn’t done anything in like years, I like the guy but he didn’t need a spot over the two I mentioned plus people like both of the Usos, King Woods, Apollo, Shelton, Cedric. Even Truth could have done a fun bit!
I was thinking WWE would give him a WWE title at some point, especially during the glorious gimmick.

The theme is awesome.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
We have to stop with the “WWE is dying” narrative.

That company makes money hand over fist. You can bring up how the RAW Ratings are low but it’s still USA’s highest rated show on that channel. That network won’t give that up and will over them another $1 billion deal soon.

You don’t have to like that product; that I understand. But to think that company is gonna pull a WCW is insane. Now…it might not always be run by a McMa

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Have to agree with you there, not going anywhere. At least there's an alternative(s) now more than ever.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
We have to stop with the “WWE is dying” narrative.
That's your opinion, but...
That company makes money hand over fist.
Right, but its not doing hot. Arena attendance is down. Merchandise sales are up. Video Games sales are up. Star recognition is a mixed bag, but no Stone Cold. WWE currently has a fanbase, but what they DON'T have is the casual market, which back in the SCSA days, you can talk to someone and they'll recognize Austin, because he's being marketed really hard to draw casuals in. People like me.
You can bring up how the RAW Ratings are low but it’s still USA’s highest rated show on that channel. That network won’t give that up and will over them another $1 billion deal soon.
That's different. USA Network is the right partner for WWE. But, the ratings to viewership ratio is going, and slanting DOWN.
You don’t have to like that product; that I understand. But to think that company is gonna pull a WCW is insane. Now…it might not always be run by a McMa
They DON'T have to. Stone Cold carried WWE in addition to The Rock. They need to build stars to replace the ones that are injured, retired, or released.

Replacement available:
Adam Cole = Modern day... SHAWN MICHAELS.
Keith Lee = Modern day Mark Henry.
Alester Black = Modern day Undertaker without the gown. (Good thing, BTW.)
Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley = Mick Foley, but not "chubby."
The Fiend = Modern day Undertaker with Kane mixed in.
Miro/Rusev = Well, a muscular wrestler. lol
Chad Gable = Kurt Angle. Being used in WWE atm. A great move here.

But the thing is, WWE needs a Stone Cold, a The Rock, someone to headline WWE shows. Fans don't see Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley, or Roman Reigns as that headliner. Its John Cena, its Austin, its AJ Styles, New Day.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Yeah WWE is not going anywhere lol. These crazy deals they have make them extraordinary money. Sucks that the product can keep being trash though but whatever.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
That's your opinion, but...

Right, but its not doing hot. Arena attendance is down. Merchandise sales are up. Video Games sales are up. Star recognition is a mixed bag, but no Stone Cold. WWE currently has a fanbase, but what they DON'T have is the casual market, which back in the SCSA days, you can talk to someone and they'll recognize Austin, because he's being marketed really hard to draw casuals in. People like me.

That's different. USA Network is the right partner for WWE. But, the ratings to viewership ratio is going, and slanting DOWN.

They DON'T have to. Stone Cold carried WWE in addition to The Rock. They need to build stars to replace the ones that are injured, retired, or released.

Replacement available:
Adam Cole = Modern day... SHAWN MICHAELS.
Keith Lee = Modern day Mark Henry.
Alester Black = Modern day Undertaker without the gown. (Good thing, BTW.)
Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley = Mick Foley, but not "chubby."
The Fiend = Modern day Undertaker with Kane mixed in.
Miro/Rusev = Well, a muscular wrestler. lol
Chad Gable = Kurt Angle. Being used in WWE atm. A great move here.

But the thing is, WWE needs a Stone Cold, a The Rock, someone to headline WWE shows. Fans don't see Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley, or Roman Reigns as that headliner. Its John Cena, its Austin, its AJ Styles, New Day.

As a big WWE critic - this argument is flawed.
The problem WWE have isn't talent - its storylines and direction.
They clearly have marketable stars.

Last edited:

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Yeah WWE is not going anywhere lol. These crazy deals they have make them extraordinary money. Sucks that the product can keep being trash though but whatever.
That's the thing, Vince is using these deals to "Make money." Not make money from "customers."

Vince is not using the ratings, viewership, or products as a bargaining chip to investors. He wants the streaming wars, but its way to early to switch, and use viewers as bargaining chip. He is currently using these deals to bargain with investors.

That's where we are right now.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
As a big WWE critic - this argument is flawed.
The problem WWE have isn't talent - its storylines and direction.
They clearly have marketable stars.
Ok. Casually, talk to someone outside. Ask them, which star they like in WWE. Most will go... "I don't know." Or the automatic "Stone Cold," "The Rock," and "John Cena."

But you gonna disagree with that, too.. so whatever.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Ok. Casually, talk to someone outside. Ask them, which star they like in WWE. Most will go... "I don't know." Or the automatic "Stone Cold," "The Rock," and "John Cena."

But you gonna disagree with that, too.. so whatever.

you're point of view is actually based on a love of an era and an expectation that all casuals only watched people from the 90s and early 00s though.

If you are going to critique the fed - you at least need to have an honest assessment of recognised talent.

A casual is going to have no idea who the fuck people like Keith Lee, Chad Gable and Adam Cole even are be honest - so how would their inclusion fix the problem?

Last edited:

Poyser

Pathological Liar
Reaction score
The fact theyre setting up to go ronda vs charlotte instead of becky is absolutely mindblowing to me. how does ronda the face not choose becky, the only person to ever beat her. makes her look like a COWARD for ducking her. nobody gives a fuck about charlotte any more and everyone wanted ronda vs becky to be 1 on 1 in bloody 2019. Fucking insane decision making

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
you're point of view is actually based on a love of an era and an expectation that all casuals only watched people from the 90s and early 00s though.

If you are going to critique the fed - you at least need to have an honest assessment of recognised talent.
This is not "love of an era," you're implying that I am looking at this from a rose colored glasses. I'm not. My mom sometimes watch with me. The whole show. She DOESN'T know or care about the product, besides Ronda Rousey, The Rock, Austin, Triple H, and now Roman Reigns, because I explained he's related to The Rock. Hell, she even calls the women's division... BORING. She HATES the PG shit. My brother? Undertaker, John Cena, Austin. Me? I'll watch new stars. Favorites are: AJ Styles, Roode, Alexa Bliss is growing on me, the fiend's storyline grew on me. The USOs? Fire. Even as heels.

The point is... WWE just needs more heavy hitters.

Last edited:

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
That Rumble isn't hitting me like 2015, there were parts I liked but I would not watch it again. That does make me sad. The final portions of it just felt super rushed. Should have been guys like Styles, Theory and whatnot imo.

Orton getting tossed out super quickly in his hometown. :pour

Shane having a late entrant just felt weird as hell too, like he's a fine surprise entrant and all. Just should have been at the start. It's kinda funny Bad Bunny was a highlight, he surprised me once again. Destroyer was pretty nice. As much as I like Brock, this feels like one of the most all-time unnecessary wins. Not only is he a free agent, but he didn't even need the Rumble win to face Roman. He already should have had the match at Day 1 & Roman played a part in him losing earlier in the night. You could have EASILY set up that match without having Brock be in the Rumble. He doesn't need to look strong. I would have had a fresh winner that faces Lashley at Mannia. Just decisions like that are a total headscratcher.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Not sure using your mum or brother, who you live with and therefore are influenced by your own views proves anything. If I asked my young sister, to name a wrestler - she is probably going to say Tanahashi or Okada. A "casual fan" is someone who casually watches the product - not someone who hides underneath the floorboards waiting for The Rock to make a return.

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
It's definitely up there with the most underwhelming Rumbles, but I did enjoy the beginning of it & some middle portions. For that reason I'm cutting it a bit of slack. Just a shame the ending wasn't better. Felt like it lacked some good surprises.