Lets Talk Jericho

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The guy can do whatever he wants, his win/loss record has always been more on the losses, and he seems happy being that guy who comes in, shows off that he can get a good match out of a broomstick, and head back out to do his VH1, RCL, & Fozzy gigs.

His time away from the ring only makes me appreciate his time in the ring more, and the time away just means that he can have better quality matches because he is not wearing himself out 52 weeks a year.

Does it through. His match with Punk at last years mania for example was a bit of a let down. Jericho is still solid but for me way past his 2001/02 peak.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
[/B]

Does it through. His match with Punk at last years mania for example was a bit of a let down. Jericho is still solid but for me way past his 2001/02 peak.

Nobody is ever as good as they were when they were at their peak, that's why its called their peak.

But just think of how much worse that match could have been if Jericho didn't spend the time away from the ring, if he was going for a couple years before that match, chances are he would have been exhausted, or even hurt. At his age these things do a lot more to the body, he wouldn't have an easy time hiding an injury, and it could have been an entire match of rest holds. Having that time off keeps him in the industry longer, and looking stronger than he would if it was a constant schedule.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Nobody is ever as good as they were when they were at their peak, that's why its called their peak.

But just think of how much worse that match could have been if Jericho didn't spend the time away from the ring, if he was going for a couple years before that match, chances are he would have been exhausted, or even hurt. At his age these things do a lot more to the body, he wouldn't have an easy time hiding an injury, and it could have been an entire match of rest holds. Having that time off keeps him in the industry longer, and looking stronger than he would if it was a constant schedule.

Of course but then that brings up the question of when Jericho has made one return too many. If he took longer off and they did more to refresh his character upon his return then the feud would feel more important.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Y2Jobber. That's all he is these days.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is unquestionably one of the most gifted entertainers this business has ever seen, but it's simply not healthy to invest too much stock into the guy these days. His career is a complete downhill slope right now and regardless of how many times he leaves and makes dramatic comebacks, he'll never be the Jericho he once was. Those days are over.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
[/B]

What the fuck are you on about? Jericho in the early 00s sucked, his cheesy promos and inability to sell past making goofy faces are not his peak. His peak was in 08 when he ditched the Y2J character and serz'd himself.

I don't get some of you people, you cry about veterans holding down young talent, then you cry about veterans putting over people, wheres the consistency here?

Also, who the fuck cares he is entering his twilight years, he is still one of the best performers out there and can still go. But he isn't going for titles so he should fuck off I guess.

Because god forbid he just wrestles, because nobody cares about wrestling on here, because that's what I hear on this forum all the time.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
What the fuck are you on about? Jericho in the early 00s sucked, his cheesy promos and inability to sell past making goofy faces are not his peak. His peak was in 08 when he ditched the Y2J character and serz'd himself.

I don't get some of you people, you cry about veterans holding down young talent, then you cry about veterans putting over people, wheres the consistency here?

Also, who the fuck cares he is entering his twilight years, he is still one of the best performers out there and can still go. But he isn't going for titles so he should fuck off I guess.

Because god forbid he just wrestles, because nobody cares about wrestling on here, because that's what I hear on this forum all the time.

Character wise 2007/08 were maybe his best years I don't agree about in ring that spell being his best.

I am Jericho fan but don't go along with him being one of the best right now, just my opinion. He does have value to WWE for the reasons given but they need to use him less and create a bigger impact.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
He is Chris Jericho, not Andre, Brock, or Taker you just cannot use someone like that as a special attraction wrestler. He is not a large enough name to just sit on the shelf for too long, and needs to put himself back into the spotlight rather regularly.

I would much rather these little feuds with the new names so that the bookers can see how to use them properly instead of Future Endeavouring names that could be huge assets to the company. His time for making an impact has come and gone, his WWE debut he faced off against Rock in one of my favorite moments in Raw history, His first title run was the single longest reign in the history of the Undisputed Title, and was put over by Rock & Austin, and he has won the Intercontinental Title more times than anyone, his mark has been made, now he is an enhancement talent, which anyone his age who can still go should be.

IA-SteveB

Reaction score
I like Jericho because he is pretty much great in every mini feud he is in. I didn't like him much when he was feuding with CM Punk and some of the things he did with alcohol addiction, but he has been very entertaining in the role for me.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Character wise 2007/08 were maybe his best years I don't agree about in ring that spell being his best.

I am Jericho fan but don't go along with him being one of the best right now, just my opinion. He does have value to WWE for the reasons given but they need to use him less and create a bigger impact.

Jericho's workrate was him doing too damn much to make his matches matter. Just because he did flips and chopped people like Kobashi doesn't mean his in ring work was awesome, he was sloppy and stiff and it made his offense look like shit. Read his second book, he will tell you himself

It was in 08 when he slowed down his offnese for full effect and got the audience into his matches more. The evidence is in his DVD.

He is still a better worker than most and his few months in the company will always be invaluable to any young talent working with him, hanging out with him or just asking him questions. Who the fuck cares if he jobs to people or isn't facing Daniel Bryan or CM Punk

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Jericho's workrate was him doing too damn much to make his matches matter. Just because he did flips and chopped people like Kobashi doesn't mean his in ring work was awesome, he was sloppy and stiff and it made his offense look like shit. Read his second book, he will tell you himself

It was in 08 when he slowed down his offnese for full effect and got the audience into his matches more. The evidence is in his DVD.

He is still a better worker than most and his few months in the company will always be invaluable to any young talent working with him, hanging out with him or just asking him questions. Who the fuck cares if he jobs to people or isn't facing Daniel Bryan or CM Punk
It matters because lately it's always a sure bet that he'll lose the big matches. Predictability isn't a good thing to have in professional wrestling. And frankly, after Fandango beats you at Wrestlemania, why would anyone invest interest into whether or not you'd beat a champion? He can work a great match, but it dilutes the experience as a fan when you already know beforehand how the match will end. That's why he needs some credible wins every once and a while, but he gets none.

@ThatGuyFromNukemHigh said it pretty well actually, he's not a physical marvel like Great Khali who can lose every match and still seem like a viable threat. Doesn't matter how well he wrestles, he'll never have that effect. Am I supposed to stack his matches up against CM Punk vs. John Cena or even Big Show vs. John Cena simply because he's a good worker? No, that's not going to happen. I know those matches could go either way and that's why I watch. But when Jericho has a match against someone like ADR, I may as well go take a piss because there's no way Jericho is winning.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Nobody in the live audience don't give two fucks about what Jericho has planned after the PPV, they don't care if he wins or loses, they are just happy to see him live.

I don't get what predictability has to do with a veteran talent. Flair was over more in his last WWE run than he was since 95, nobody cared that he was losing damn near every match, they wanted to "WOO!" they wanted to see his old spots and they wanted some promos. Same with Jericho, hence the reason he is back in his old Y2J persona. Jericho has nostalgia on his side insuring that he is going to be fine whenever he comebacks for a night, a week or a month....It doesn't matter to the people who go to the shows.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Also it is a huge plus for the wrestlers to actually get to work with someone like Jericho. WWE needs to bring through the next generation and having one of the best workers of his generation in Jericho working with guys like Fandango, Heath Slater, The Miz, Curtis Axel is hugely beneficial. They get to work with someone who has a wealth of experience and can teach them a lot both inside and outside the ring.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Also it is a huge plus for the wrestlers to actually get to work with someone like Jericho. WWE needs to bring through the next generation and having one of the best workers of his generation in Jericho working with guys like Fandango, Heath Slater, The Miz, Curtis Axel is hugely beneficial. They get to work with someone who has a wealth of experience and can teach them a lot both inside and outside the ring.

I know but you can always over do that. I think WWE are getting the balance wrong with Jericho right now. A win over him would mean more for a rookie if fans still believed that Jericho could be a main event level player.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I know but you can always over do that. I think WWE are getting the balance wrong with Jericho right now. A win over him would mean more for a rookie if fans still believed that Jericho could be a main event level player.

A win would mean more but they are still getting the opportunity to work with a guy of his calibre which is something that they would rarely get to do. Would it be smart if WWE gave him a win or two over main event names when he returned next time? Probably, but if they don't do it it wouldn't mean that he would have no use on television.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score

Which would mean Jericho is then burying future talent, and established main eventers. Not a smart move to do for a guy who loses to Heath Slater.

Again this is Professional Wrestling, where winning only matters if its part of your gimmick.