Last Wrestling Match Watched 2.0

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Survivor Series 2008 - World Heavyweight Championship: Chris Jericho vs. John Cena

So Jericho won the title at Unforgiven in a scramble match and then retained against HBK in a fantastic ladder match. Jericho was on fire at this point and at this most douchebagness. Of course, Cena is returning from an injury and walks into the title shot. The video package makes Jericho and his run with HBK seem like an afterthought in the equation. For once, the champion entering first makes sense. Still, Jericho gets some vocal support. This was not a bad match at all, and was allot better then i remembered but for a really, very good match but some selling and chemistry deficiencies prevented it from getting there. I liked the viciousness that Jericho displayed in going after the neck, so the psychology was solid. The action was just a series of Cena comebacks getting cut off until Cena went to the moves of doom. I have to say it was pretty predictable. ***1/2 This is a example of how you can tell an amazing story without having to rely on sick bumps and crazy spots.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Jay Lethal vs. Davey Richards - Glory By Honor XI
Good technical wrestling in the early stages of the match, and both men showed good intensity. It was only when the action picked up that things started to go downhill for me. Good moments here and there, but for me there were just too many no-selling moments. I know I look like I'm contradicting myself from my last review of Elgin/Richards, but it was just so much worse in this match I felt. ***

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Adam Cole vs. Eddie Edwards - Glory By Honor XI
Really fun match. Match consisted of good chain wrestling, good spots (especially that sick looking DDT on the apron from Adam Cole) and good selling from Edwards especially. I liked the way Cole had the chance to work on either the leg or injured neck/shoulder area of Edwards, and ended up putting damage on both. Both body parts really did mix in well with both of his finishers (Figure-Four and Straight Jacket German Suplex). The match wasn't perfect, but it was definitely one of the better TV title matches this year. ***1/2

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin - Glory By Honor XI
Leading up to this match I was slightly worried that these two heavyweights wouldn't be able to work that well together, but thankfully I was very wrong. This was a brilliant match that really showcased both men's impressive feats of strength. It was good to see neither man work on a specific body part and instead just deliver impact moves; for me, it made the match a lot more fun to watch. It was back and forth for a good half hour (I think) and consisted of really good near falls near the end as well. Despite the many spots in this bout, there weren't any major flaws to be seen. Great stuff all round. ****1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
ROH Fight Of The Century (8/5/2006) - ROH World Title: Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe

The Last Time i watched this was maybe the end of 2011 and this still holds up as a classic. Just an awesome match which told a phenomenal story quite well. With Joe’s strikes versus Danielson’s leg work in the early part of the match. The match going long made sense because Danielson was frustrated at not being able to get a good string of offense going and thus spent a lot of time regrouping. It wasn’t the classic draw that Joe had with Punk, but it also wasn’t the kind of draw that Punk had with Daniels where it felt like the match could have ended at many times. This never felt like it should end but it also didn’t feel like either guy was really fighting their heart out for the first 45 minutes, which doesn’t make sense considering how badly Joe supposedly wanted the belt. With all his experience keeping the belt from Punk by letting the clock run out he should have been doing more to keep that from happening to him. The final 15 minutes were out of this world and worth checking out. ****3/4 I still love it

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF In Your House 16 “Canadian Stampede” - New Blackjacks vs. The Godwinns

This is the Free-for-All match; the Godwinns have ditched their cheerful hog farmer gimmick and manager Hillbilly Jim for a more “pissed-off Southern boys” gimmick. Jim Ross reminds me that the reason is because Henry Godwinn was injured at the hands of the Legion of Doom cracking his C7 vertebra off a botched Doomsday Device and was on a bit of a revenge tour to make other feel his pain. The NEW Blackjacks are Barry Windham and Bradshaw. The match was short and not very good, but it's worth noting that the crowd LOVED the Blackjacks and cheered every move they made, so this made for a nice dark match. *

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF In Your House 16 “Canadian Stampede” - Hunter Hearst Helmsley (w/Chyna) vs. Mankind

Before i get to the match i just wanna say Foley and Triple H had great chemistry in the ring. This is a rematch from King of the Ring where HHH went over Mick to win the crown, turning him face in the process. Triple H and Mankind beating the piss out of each other! This was just a great, relentless brawl with tons of hard hitting action. this was just a teaser of what we got in 2000. Right from the start, Mankind came out guns blazing and ensured the match turned into the rough fight that he would want. HHH had to rely on some desperate knee work, cheating from Chyna, and a debilitating figure four leg which made him look like that cowardly heel. I even didn't mind the double count-out ending cause it would lead to more matches and i'm all for more HHH/Foley matches. The whole match felt like an old school brawl from the 80's. ***3/4 - **** the fact that this is a 4 star match and is only the second best Opening match of 1997 is crazy.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF In Your House 16 “Canadian Stampede” - The Great Sasuke vs. TAKA Michinoku

Sasuke was supposed to be the big signing that would give the WWF the light-heavyweight muscle to compete with WCW's cruiserweights like Rey & Juvi. Instead, Sasuke realized that wasn't going to happen and went back to Japan soon after this which sucks cause this is one FUCKING awesome match. All the moves were chrisp and the no selling was awesome, but it was dragged down due to the Canadian crowd not know who these two are and on commentary Vince, JR and Lawler and only JR knowing what the moves are and trying to get them over, just to have the over two not know anything so they would go off topic. **** They would then proceed to TOP that match the next night on RAW, with Sasuke debuting the Space Flying Tiger Drop on North American TV, GOOGLE IT.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF In Your House 16 “Canadian Stampede” - WWF Heavyweight Title: The Undertaker vs. Vader (w/Paul Bearer)

If my memory is correct Bearer has already revealed the big secret that the Undertaker killed his family years earlier, but the real bombshell is that Kane is still alive! and is just waiting till the time is right. I was some what enjoyable but was really slow and straight to the point, it was the total opposite of the lightweight match before. This was such a physical match, with lots of painful looking offense and bags of intensity from both men. ***1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF In Your House 16 “Canadian Stampede” - Bret Hart, Owen Hart, the British Bulldog, Brian Pillman & Jim Neidhart vs. Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust & the Legion of Doom

What a main event and it still holds up to this day as the best 10 man tag in wrestling history. There was nonstop action for twenty-five minutes, from bell to bell. Bret and the Harts got their huge shining moment in the USA/Canada rivalry of ’97. The crowd were extremely hot, with most of the crowd rooting on the Harts and the amount of heat Austin got in this match is what he wanted when he turned in 2001, his heel performance was AMAZING. As much as I love this match my only problem with it is the ending, C'MON a roll-up ending to a hot 25 minute match was just out of the blue. The pacing made it feel like they were gonna go 50 minutes but then it just ended which upset me. And it was right after Austin started beating up the Hart family who were at ring side.

After the match the entire Hart family clears the ring of Team US, and then Austin makes another go at it with a chair and gets the shit beat out of him 10-on-1. That’ll learn ‘im. The Harts continue the beating until security finally gets in long enough to arrest Austin and drag him back to the dressing room in handcuffs. Austin flips off the crowd behind his back as the Harts celebrate, end of show. :y: ***** for the whole thing.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE The Armageddon 2008 - Non-Title: Matt Hardy vs. Vladimir Kozlov

Striker explains that Kozlov doesn't get a title shot because he's never officially wrestled in ECW. This was some what enjoyable dragged a bit in places, and Matt tries his best to not make it that slow boring Kozlov heel match but it didn't work. **1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE The Armageddon 2008 - Intercontinental Tournament Contender Finals: Rey Mysterio vs. CM Punk

William Regal and Layla are at ringside to observe. This is the first time meet for these two put it sure wouldn't be the last. They combined mat wrestling, submission, high flying, and numerous reversals into 12 minutes and it didn't feel like a clusterfuck at all. ***1/2 - ***3/4 The GTS to end it was sick, he broke Rey's fucking nose.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE The Armageddon 2008 - Batista vs. Randy Orton (w/Manu & Cody Rhodes)

Far better than I expected. A few people were saying that Batista didn't have his working boots on, but I thought he did well. This match was a perfect example of a Randy Orton Special. Good opening, I particularly liked the DQ tease when the Legacy was ejected from ringside.There were a few awkward moments where both men seemed to be trying the same thing, but overall this was very enjoyable. Oh but they did have a Super hot ending, the final five minutes of the match were great. ***1/4

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE The Armageddon 2008 - World Heavyweight Title: John Cena vs. Chris Jericho

This is a rematch from the PPV before when Cena won the title on his first match back. TBF this match is just that but with rest holds cut out. Don't get me wrong i enjoyed it but it could of been so much better. It almost looked like Jericho had to carry so much of the match that I'm not sure Cena's really ready to be back at this main event level after the neck injury. I would rate this higher but the ending was bullshit Cena put on the STFU! Jericho taps right away! without a even teasing the false tap or comeback. *** - ***1/4

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE The Armageddon 2008 - WWE Heavyweight Title: Edge vs. Triple H vs. Jeff Hardy

Well you knew if this was main eventing that something big was gonna happen. Okay on different days you will get a different opinion about this match. The match had some great moments (the spear through the announce table, the Kozlov interference, and even the Doomsday Whisper in the Wind), but I feel it was still lacking that something to make it feel like a big match. Triple H seemed off for most of the match which I think affected the flow between the big spots. ***3/4