Last Wrestling Match Watched 2.0

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Summerslam 2001 - Ladder match for the Hardcore Championship: Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy

Good ladder match with a ton of really cool spots. It got a little to the point where it didn't seem like they were trying to win, but get there shit in to get over but i shouldn't be surprised cause that’s what 2001 RVD Hardcore matches were all about. They botched up the finish, but improvised with a brutal bump from Jeff of being pushed off a ladder. I think the Invasion match was better, but this one was fun in a train wreck sort of way as you just watched to see how many crazy bumps these two would do to top each other. ***

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Summerslam 2001 - WWF Championship: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Kurt Angle

This quite possible is the best Austin carry job if all time, hell it's up there with Bret's carry job in the '92 Summerslam against Davey Boy Smith. Seriously though. The beginning of this match was one of the coolest things I've seen in wrestling. Austin and Angle were just staring at each other from opposite sides of the aisle, and while Austin’s music was still playing, they stalked toward each other and just started fighting. This match had so much tension that at times the Invasion seemed like a secondary story to pure hatred and wanting of the gold. The match was also filled with so much drama. The big story of the match blood loss and how Angle got busted open when Austin threw him into the ring post like 5 times and the blade job by Angle was AWESOME. Kurt's comebacks and never quit attitude was great, and Austin losing his shit, turning even more paranoid and going insane after Angle kicked out of THREE Stunners OWNED. He took out three different refs, and when Kurt has the pin, THE MVP of the alliance Nick Patrick runs down and called the DQ so Austin would escape with the title. BRILLIANT! This is the 2nd best Summerslam match in history. ****3/4

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Summerslam 2001 - WCW World Championship: The Rock vs. Booker T w/ Shane "Young Simba" McMahon

This was average and I think they knew they wasn't gonna top the WWF Championship match so they just went out and had a sports entertainment match. The match was a really good brawl and was basically an adaptation of the Attitude style brawl as they fought around ringside and had some interference as well. Rock showed no ring rust, and Booker T was on the ball. Of course Shane McMahon being at ringside was good too, until Bradshaw came down seeking Vengeance and gave poor Simba the Clothesline from Hell. Oh, and Simba took the Rock Bottom on the floor too, WHAT A BEAST! The finish hilarious Booker T made the mistake of celebrating too early with a Spinneroonie and as he spun to his feet the Rock hit the Rock Bottom for the win. ***1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF No Mercy 1999 - Ladder Match: New Brood vs. Edge & Christian

This would be the finals of the Terri Invitation Tournament (Really just a best of 5 series) where the winners would receive $100,000 and the services of Terri Runnels. Now this is an all-time classic for how innovative and revolutionary it was. The match that not only built a reputation for four men but perhaps built a reputation in these types of matches. Unlike many of the other recent ladder matches, this one has aged quite well. The spots don't come off as "I'm only doing it for a poo" Everything here was just thought out perfectly and was done at the right time. ****1/4 1999 WWF MOTY

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF Royal Rumble 2001 - Ladder match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship: Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho

This still holds up as one of the all time CLASSICS and the greatest ladder match in WWF/E history "FUCK" Shawn/Razor and those TLC matches, Some of the best innovative offense you`ll ever see with the ladder mixed with the best bumping in my opinion. Just straight balls-to-the-wall action and from bell to bell and I know people shit on the ending cause both guys are overselling but C'MON they beat the shit out of each other with every moves being more violent than the last nothing wrong with selling huge bumps and exhaustion. ****3/4

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Nigel McGuinness vs. Tyler Black - ROH Take No Prisoners 2008
Say what you want about overkill in matches, but when it's done right it can come off extremely well. This match saw Tyler Black take a serious amount of punishment for over 20 minutes, while hitting some of his signature moves as well. And that's one of the things that I really liked about this match. Despite fighting back, Tyler Black only got in a few big moves, with the rest being roll ups, so in the end Nigel still came out looking very strong. It was a great underdog story of the young challenger looking to make a name for himself against the dominant World champion. ****

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWF Smackdown 05/24/2001 - TLC III for the World Tag Team Championship: The Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. Two-Man Canadian Violence (Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit)

This is probably my favorite TLC match cause it's more than just big spot after big spot it told an AMAZING story of Benoit missing the headbutt through the table so he gets taken to the back with "Bruised or cracked ribs" so that would leave Jericho alone for most of the remaining match. But it seemed as if the numbers were going to be too much for him. Suddenly, Benoit came back out to the ring with his ribs taped up and showed some tremendous courage by fighting off members of the opposing teams, Oh and the spot with the CON-CHAIR-TO to the injured ribs after Benoit covered his head is still one of the top 10 greatest things EVER! This was a great match that lived up to the insanity of the previous TLC matches and what made it even better is that we got to see it for free. ****1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE WrestleMania 21 - 1st Ever Money in the Bank" Ladder Match: Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Edge vs. Christian vs. Kane

This is the “creation” of Chris Jericho, to put these deserving wrestler’s in a Ladder match together with the winner getting a title shot any time, at any show for up to one year. Still holds up as the GOAT MITB Match. Not only were the spots great and innovative, the wrestling was top notch but there was also some storytelling unlike your usual mindless spotfest. Who could forget the AMAZING selling from Chris Benoit. But the MVP of the match was clearly MR. Benjamin who came out looking like a million bucks, Benoit looked like a tough bastard, and Edge shows his first signs of becoming the ultimate opportunist. Nothing beat the original. ****1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Royal Rumble 2008 - World Heavyweight Championship: Edge (with Vickie Guerrero, Zach Ryder, and Curt Hawkins) vs. Rey Mysterio

This wasn't bad but it wasn't great either, it had nice pacing, good booking with the heels doing any and everything to cheat. Rey was banged up with like 2 or 3 injuries and it showed here. But at least he really tried really hard. Only real good thing about this was "Rey attempts the West Coast Pop, but Edge spears him in mid-air for the win." **3/4

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE Royal Rumble 2008 - WWE Championship: Randy Orton vs. Jeff Hardy

These guys kept up a really good pace and showed very good chemistry together. This match had so great bumps, good selling; they kept the resting to a minimum. The abrupt finish caught me and the crowd off guard but I'm fine with it as the versatility is part of the "RKO out of nowhere" gimmick. This is one of the first matches I can safely say was carried by Orton. And he made Hardy looked damn good, if Jeff doesn't get busted for drugs right before Wrestlemania, he wins Money in the Bank at Wrestlemania and goes on to have a really his best year as a singles, THANK GOD HE FUCKED IT UP! ***1/4 - ***1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE No Way Out 2008 - Elimination Chamber to become Number 1 Contender for the World Heavyweight Championship: MVP vs. Big Daddy V vs. The Great Khali vs. Finlay vs. Batista vs. The Undertaker

Booking helped this more than anything. They knew their monster heels weren't work rate machines and that MVP/Finlay aren't high profile enough to be considered likely winners for a title shot at WM, so they basically divided the match into smaller matches to maximize the effectiveness of the performers but kept the larger story focused on Batista and Taker. There's fun to be had in this match, but there's way too much wasted space with people who were never going to win and not enough drama until literally the final moments. ***1/4

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE No Way Out 2008 - World Heavyweight Championship: Edge vs. Rey Mysterio

To add to Mysterio's list of injures he also has a torn bicep, so I can see why this was only given 5 minutes. I liked that they added the kind of did the same finish as the rumble but this time instead of the West-Cost into the Spear Edge did it by countering the crossbody into the Mid-air Spear for the win. Post-Match: Trainers check on Rey’s arm, when suddenly Big Show makes his surprise return to the WWE. Big Show who is in great shape and flaunts his figure to the crowd. Show says he’s glad to be back and promises he will be a champion again. Show then turns heel right away, attacking the injured Mysterio at ringside. Show notices Floyd Mayweather at ringside and talks some smack. Show directs Rey to the ring and threatens to chokeslam Rey. Mayweather’s entourage tries to keep him from getting involved. Mayweather rushes the ring, making the save, but his people hold him back. Show wants a piece of Mayweather, and he gets it as “Money” connects with a couple of shots, breaking Show’s nose in the process. Shane McMahon stops Show from chasing Mayweather to the back. *3/4

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
WWE No Way Out 2008 - WWE Championship: John Cena vs. Randy Orton

No question about it this is the best Cena/Orton match ever, and the great heel match I've ever seen Orton in. His gameplan was and heel tactics were on another level here. At first he thought he could beat Cena straight up cause he's the better man but Cena being Cena didn't stay down so what did Orton do? Take short cuts and cheat and even started stalling oh and he even FAKED! A knee injury just to sucker Cena in and RKO him on the floor but once Cena made it back in the ring Orton said "FUCK THIS" and slapped the ref for the DQ. BRILLIANT! The action was pretty awesome too. ****1/2

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Eddie Edwards vs. Chris Hero - ROH Revolution: Canada 2011
This match makes me wish I didn't purchase Revolution USA instead of Revolution Canada all those months ago, because this is a brilliant match. There's simply so much to like about it. The pacing in the match is wonderful, Hero's work on the injured elbow of Edwards is immense, and Edwards sells the injured elbow like a champ for the entire match. They tell a great story of Hero controlling the match with his work on Eddie's elbow and viscous strikes to his head, with Eddie taking all the abuse he can and fighting back with a 'never say die' attitude. And just when Hero thinks he has the match won, Eddie rolls him into a one-armed Achilles Lock and continuously stamps on the head of Hero before he goes unconscious. This short clip alone just shows how awesome Eddie was in this match. It kind of makes me wish Edwards' reign as World champion lasted longer, because his performances against Hero here and Christopher Daniels the month before were stellar. ****1/2

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Clash of the Champions (27/03/88) - NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Sting vs. Ric Flair

JJ is in a cage above the ring so he can't interfere and the referee making sure he can't get involved. JR says TV time constraints have reduced the time limit from 60 to 45 minutes and if necessary, the decision will go to the ringside judges. This is quite possible the worse panel I’ve ever seen. NWA board member Gary Juster, former authority-type figure and wrestler Sandy Scott, Penthouse Pet of the Year Patty Mullen, Eddie Haskell, and Wayne Arnold from The Wonder Years. "What a mess" The match ends in a 45-minute time-limit expires. Sting dominated a majority of the match and had Flair locked in his signature hold when the match ended. Patty Mullen votes for Flair and gives him a little wave; Gary Juster scores it for Sting; and Sandy Scott declares it a draw, so it's a split-decision draw and Flair retains the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. I guess Wayne Arnold and Eddie Haskell were just hanging out at the judges' table. Tell me again what the point of having the judges was? Flair retaining via time-limit draw was the right decision as a way to get Sting over to a national television audience without having him win the belt, but having this ragtag group of judges at ringside specifically in case of a time-limit draw and then STILL declaring it a draw made the promotion look like a joke. Okay now that I got the flaws out of the way I can talk about how Flair carried Sting to his best match ever. I wouldn't say Sting was still green here but he has only been in the business for 3 years. This was the match that defiantly made Sting a household name, and it was all thanks to Flair. ****1/4