Kofi Heel Turn; Triple h more old school than Vince

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
- There have been discussions about turning Kofi Kingston heel with
the idea that he's talented but has been booked in a way where they will
never be able to get him over as a babyface without a heel turn and
push first.

- A new change in WWE developmental is to give the
talents bullet points instead of scripts and teaching them to do promos
like they used to be done.

It's been noted that Triple H is far
more old school in his thoughts on pro wrestling than Vince McMahon and
when he's in full control, we will likely see the storylines evolve back
to a more believable and serious approach.

Allwrestling

I totally agree with the idea of Kofi going heel. He is absolutely going nowhere as face atm other than jobbing week in and week out. A heel turn would be a fresh new start for Kofi.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
King Kofi Kingston time :mark:

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I'm really in two minds over this supposed Kofi turn. On one hand I think it would be a great experiment, but on the other hand I just think it's totally unnecessary. The part about not being able to get him over without going heel first is just utter bullshit. The guy is moderately over which for a midcarder who has had zero direction for years is quite amazing. They throw a title on him, he has fun matches and good PPV openers to get the crowd going, loses the title and then aimlessly goes round jobbing to everyone again until it's time to put another title back on him.

It would be easy to push him as an underdog face, he's just a natural kid friendly babyface from his attire to his moveset. Just give him a feud with some depth to it and the chance for that glass ceiling breakthrough. Put him in a feud with Punk and have them bring up a bunch of real life stuff, about them being travelling buddies, former tag team champs etc. it's pretty simple to do.

While a heel turn would give me a glimpse of hope that they actually want to push him, I'm just not sure if it could work really as he would literally need an overhaul of everything, music, attire and moveset.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Allwrestling eh? Nice source.

Even pure specualtion aside, it does rais a good question about if a heel Kofi would work.

He wouldn't be able to fly around anymore if he did, heel dynamics changed so much these days, you would have eliminate anything that anyone would cheer.

Also. if Triple H wanting new guys to do actual promos is true...Good. The WWE has been stagnant as a result of having guys entire careers scripted instead of doing their own thing. Kofi being a prime example,

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I've always wondered how they would turn Kofi heel. Everything about him, the very essence of his being screams face. He's almost like Rey Mysterio.

lol'd when I imagined him as vicious heel, shoving people into TV sets like Chris Jericho or circling around his opponents and stomping them/picking them apart slowly like Randy Orton.

I'm with Chris on this one, "King Kofi Kingston" like "King Booker" would work. Do you guys know of the play "Emperor Jones" by Eugene O'Neill? Kofi could play a Brutus Jones like gimmick after winning KOTR if they bought it back.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Also. if Triple H wanting new guys to do actual promos is true...Good. The WWE has been stagnant as a result of having guys entire careers scripted instead of doing their own thing. Kofi being a prime example,
It's actually from the Observer. Also, that point would be fair if Kofi actually got ANY time for a promo whether it be scripted or not.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we'd all mark if Kofi turned heel. It's just something that would be hard to imagine. He's fun to watch and just seems like an all around nice guy. You'd have to completely change him.

Learning to do actual promos would be sick! The scripted stuff just hasn't been doing it for me. We need more shoots.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I'm pretty sure we'd all mark if Kofi turned heel. It's just something that would be hard to imagine. He's fun to watch and just seems like an all around nice guy. You'd have to completely change him.

Learning to do actual promos would be sick! The scripted stuff just hasn't been doing it for me. We need more shoots.

Shoots would be terrible, would be like 00 WCW, where the wrestlers would use out of date insider terms that confused most of the audience.

I'm more of hoping for performers to be able to work promos like all the territory guys of old.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Kofi/Orton showed Kofi can actually be a heel, I actually enjoyed that feud and Heel Kofi can work. He was a pretty decent heel back in the indies.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Kofi/Orton showed Kofi can actually be a heel, I actually enjoyed that feud and Heel Kofi can work. He was a pretty decent heel back in the indies.

I don't think it really showed he can be a heel. It showed he can be aggressive at times. But really, he was only doing what the WWE Universe would have begged for.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Watch any of the nXt rookies improvised promos from the competition format, then try telling me guys should have more freedom in their mic time.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Watch any of the nXt rookies improvised promos from the competition format, then try telling me guys should have more freedom in their mic time.

Because one time is an entire basis on what someone could do right? Like, if a comedian bombs on stage, they should quit right?

Boys need practice before they get good. Watch HBK in AWA and compare him to WWF 96-97. Or anybody from the territory days. Shit Chris Jericho in WCW to 08 Jericho.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
With Kofi what he needs to get more over is a sustained push, he has suffered from not being given a proper solid push and because of that there is no real reason for fans to get behind him. I wouldn't be against them trying him heel just to see how he goes and see how the crowd reacts to him but I disagree with their supposed reasons behind doing it.

Great news that the wrestlers in developmental are having to actually work on their promos and not just regurgitate what a writer writes for them. Will be a lot better for them in the long run if they can develop some actual promo skills.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I think Kofi going heel to ultimately come back as a face is exactly what would happen anyways. He'd probably save some top face after a lengthy run and it would just fall into place. WWE actually looking ahead at what would happen and just planning for it. If that is what they are doing that would be great but WWE changes their minds all the time and something this long-term will probably end up being different.