Kevin Sullivan leaves AEW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

This is the wrestler lmao

• Haha
Reactions: Death By Looch

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
It’s very similar to TNA in its early days. When they got TV in 05/06, TNA’s biggest selling point was how different they were from WWE. That was their initial identity.

Unfortunately for TNA, they lost the plot over time and gravitated to a similar WWE school of thought. Brought in old WWE guys, hoping they name value would draw ratings. Started shooting their shows similar to how WWE did. They lost their identity and became WWE lite.

AEW needs to make sure they don’t fall into that same trap.

Unfortunately I would say some of those things already apply to AEW. Compared to the early days of the company, you can clearly see the difference in the presentation... from the lighting and design of the arenas, to the types and lengths of segments that they're doing nowadays, to the (imo) bland makeover of the Dynamite graphics and set. Also, we're seeing unique PPV sets less often, and when they are spruced it, it's not that notable. Small critique, but it's just those little things that fans like myself really appreciated about AEW that set it apart from WWE that have died off over the years.

AEW is already so many steps ahead of how far TNA ever was and it's a different landscape as well. I don't think AEW becoming a "WWE lite" will ever be an actual thing. Possible, of course, but highly unlikely. At least imo.

You could say in many ways that the same problems that derailed TNA's popularity are what derailed WCW's popularity as well, and AEW if anything is somewhere in between those two companies in terms of their popularity and scale relative to WWE. Of course, AEW has the advantage of a billionaire owner who isn’t necessarily beholden to any particular entities.

That said, not to be overly pessimistic, since I clearly love AEW, but I don't really see how it isn't "WWE lite" in a sense.

I only say that because WWE isn't what it was from like 2018-2021. That was a definite dark period for the company in terms of it feeling like the most sanitized, mass-produced, lifeless version of itself. But WWE for most of its history has produced great shit for wrestling fans, and I'd say currently is on an upward trajectory for a reason under the guidance of Triple H.

Yes, AEW has the things that set it apart like the more edgy content, free-wheeling promos, the Continetal Classic, Forbidden Door, etc. but I do find that the differences between the two companies are much less significant than they have been in years prior, and that's partially because of AEW switching up its aesthetic and show structures a bit, as well as WWE just becoming more exciting and less robotic.

AEW is AEW at the end of the day, and there's no need to call it WWE lite unless you're just being disparaging, but I also feel like the differences between current WWE and AEW aren't that much more than 2011 WWE and TNA. I'd honestly have to say that TNA even during the Hogan era had more unique aspects to its presentation than AEW currently does. Not that I think it's crucial that AEW goes out of its way to be different, as long as the shit is still good and has heart, that's the most important thing that's gonna keep people interested.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The presentation points hoss brought up are valid and it def feels like when they updated looks it did look more like wwe than early years. I miss the multi-colored dynamite n the cool sets. N I miss some of the more aew esque storytelling n risk taking, worts and all. Not all.changes have been bad ofc but ya I do think they have moved too close to wwe n have lost a bit of what made them them. Hence why I think a subtle course correction on a few things will b good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoss