Kevin Sullivan leaves AEW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
the times of being the plucky hipster brand is over, it's kind of time for AEW to shed that identity and put forth the ''we are the best in ring product and our action hits the hardest'' which is what a lot of us day 1-ers want anyways
Fucking thank you for understanding my main and biggest problem with AEW finally

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I just want good stories that also accompany the best in-ring product. I’ll be a happy egg.

Reactions: Alexa

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Fucking thank you for understanding my main and biggest problem with AEW finally
it made sense as a startup and esp Cody loved that stuff to a fault. but yeah like every time someone would cut an im out of jail promo it hit less and less hard. few other examples

then they flew closer to the sun than everyone thought they would so fast, but people didn't and still don't want to admit that the reason for that was not just because the product was good, but because the top product was at the time stale and boring. So a lot of some of the less good stuff was ignored because what they rebelling from was considered bad by most pundits. it created a false sense of superiority with some of the fan base and talent.

and now history is repeating itself with the roles reversed. AEW dropped the ball at the same time as WWE got hotter and started trying, and the gap widened with AEW's business slowing down (which it always was going to as that growth was unsustainable esp when you are diluting ur own market with a 2nd weekly show in the same city. i digress, different discussion).

what I mean by history is repeating itself is that because WWE is better than what their old standard was, a lot of the booking weaknesses are being brushed aside, cuts are being brushed aside etc where as in the past it was scrutinized. sound familiar?

And it all comes full circle, WWE signs CM Punk when they are at their hottest. One could prophesize they just peaked and within a year will be on the downswing, with a public embarrassment scheduled in about 349 days.

Last edited:

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
It is called NOAH
I’ll take your word for it. I’ve already committed myself to too many products as it is. Going to 2024. I’m gonna try to watch WWE, AEW, TNA, and sometimes New Japan.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Oh and MLW. I’m gonna drown in wrestling. :bosque

• Haha

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
I’ll take your word for it. I’ve already committed myself to too many products as it is. Going to 2024. I’m gonna try to watch WWE, AEW, TNA, and sometimes New Japan.
Not bad list,a nd I knwo the later two do well in storytelling and matches

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
tl dr version : AEW can't be the rebel startup company that's fighting the status quo when the status quo is no longer disliked by a large portion of their audience. This should be a good thing and should lead to a better product with it's own identity that doesn't rely on WWE being the bad guy. Some growing pains expected.

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
it made sense as a startup and esp Cody loved that stuff to a fault. but yeah like every time someone would cut an im out of jail promo it hit less and less hard. few other examples

then they flew closer to the sun than everyone thought they would so fast, but people didn't and still don't want to admit that the reason for that was not just because the product was good, but because the top product was at the time stale and boring. So a lot of some of the less good stuff was ignored because what they rebelling from was considered bad by most pundits. it created a false sense of superiority with some of the fan base and talent.

and now history is repeating itself with the roles reversed. AEW dropped the ball at the same time as WWE got hotter and started trying, and the gap widened with AEW's business slowing down (which it always was going to as that growth was unsustainable esp when you are diluting ur own market with a 2nd weekly show in the same city. i digress, different discussion).

what I mean by history is repeating itself is that because WWE is better than what their old standard was, a lot of the booking weaknesses are being brushed aside, cuts are being brushed aside etc where as in the past it was scrutinized. sound familiar?

And it all comes full circle, WWE signs CM Punk when they are at their hottest. One could prophesize they just peaked and within a year will be on the downswing, with a public embarrassment scheduled in about 349 days.
For once...I have no words

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
tl dr version : AEW can't be the rebel startup company that's fighting the status quo when the status quo is no longer disliked by a large portion of their audience. This should be a good thing and should lead to a better product with it's own identity that doesn't rely on WWE being the bad guy. Some growing pains expected.
Reminds me a lot of the movie SLC Punk

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
hell, with some of the rumblings about. even with Punk gone, you are already seeing some distancing between TK and acts like The Hardys, and Matt used to have more influence. I am predicting (recklessly and perhaps copingly) that TK also maybe stops other top talent from influencing him as much. and by that I mean Jericho lol.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I mean, Tony should be making sure he’s calling the shots. One of the reasons why I became an ARE fan in the first place was when Tony took the Reins from the bucks and Cody and he started being hands-on with the booking. Which is around early 2021. And it was good for a little while but you could tell somewhere near the end of 2021 or perhaps sometime in the beginning of 2022 is when he started to really allow himself to have too many voices in his head.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I mean, Tony should be making sure he’s calling the shots. One of the reasons why I became an ARE fan in the first place was when Tony took the Reins from the bucks and Cody and he started being hands-on with the booking. Which is around early 2021. And it was good for a little while but you could tell somewhere near the end of 2021 or perhaps sometime in the beginning of 2022 is when he started to really allow himself to have too many voices in his head.
I agree, and the people with the most influence on booking should not be full time wrestlers. It's why I am semi hopeful when Danielson goes part-time, he should be the guy to take the reigns backstage and be TK's buffer.

The Bucks and Kenny have proven themselves to not book themselves stupidly, but Jericho has had a lot of misses and a lot of things that probably need a filter.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
It’s very similar to TNA in its early days. When they got TV in 05/06, TNA’s biggest selling point was how different they were from WWE. That was their initial identity.

Unfortunately for TNA, they lost the plot over time and gravitated to a similar WWE school of thought. Brought in old WWE guys, hoping they name value would draw ratings. Started shooting their shows similar to how WWE did. They lost their identity and became WWE lite.

AEW needs to make sure they don’t fall into that same trap.

Death By Looch

Peace, Love & Fuck You
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
AEW is already so many steps ahead of how far TNA ever was and it's a different landscape as well. I don't think AEW becoming a "WWE lite" will ever be an actual thing. Possible, of course, but highly unlikely. At least imo.