Keith's A-Z of great films

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
American history X, Almost Famous, Adaptation, Argo, An Indecent Proposal, All the Right Moves, or the cinematic classic ANACONDA!

A Beautiful Mind, A Streetcar named Desire, American Psycho, American Graffiti 8D

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
A Beautiful Mind, A Streetcar named Desire, American Psycho, American Graffiti 8D

A Beautiful Mind won't make it for two reasons, one its shit, two I count the title as starting with b not with the A...

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'll make suggestions later in this thread, this should be fun. Anaconda would have been a hilarious first choice though.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
This is starting to be worse than a Dixie Carter announcement.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is starting to be worse than a Dixie Carter announcement.

I'll take that as a compliment. Besides I never said when it would be up just soon.

I'll make suggestions later in this thread, this should be fun. Anaconda would have been a hilarious first choice though.

Don't worry I will try and fit in some trashy b-movie somewhere along the line.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
And we are off! Sorry no pictures for the time being but will try and get some as I go along.

Films which didn't quite make it for the letter A include, American Beauty, Amour Sour (Fat Girl), Alien, Alice in Wonderland (Disney Animation version), The Apartment, Audition, Anatomy of a Murder, Aguirre Wrath of God, All About Eve, Amarcord, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Avventura.

A - Annie Hall (1977)

Director: Woody Allen

Cast: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts, Carol Kane, Paul Simon, Shelley Duvall, Janet Margolin, Christopher Walken, Colleen Dewhurst

Running Time: Roughly 89 Minutes

Review: A cornerstone moment for Allen playing a version of himself as nervious, yet scastic new comedian Alvy Singer whose love life takes an up turn when his friend introduces him to lonely night club singer Annie Hall (Diane Keaton). No sooner have the pair fallen in love, than Alvy is driving Annie away with his over the top insecurities, leading to Annie leaving him for another man and moving to Los Angeles, with Alvy soon in hot persuit.

The film has its critics many of whom claim that it is sexist, and gives very little for Keaton in the title role to do, but I counter that view with the idea that she is for the most part mistreated by Alvy and yet still comes off as a bright, sprited and complex character. Not to mention that Keaton gives one of the most gentle comic performances of a female star to date and rightly won a best actress oscar.

As well as Alvy's mission to overcome his issues with love, we also get the classic Allen observations of city life, culture and everything in between. The engery and comic timing of Woody Allen in this film and many which were to come was what made up for his lack of acting chops, and his style has been mimic many times since (see George in Seinfeld).

Not only do the sharp one liners come thick and fast, but the script co-writer by Allen along side Marshall Brickman plays with tredition romantic comedy conventions with a fragmented, self-referencing style, where a scene which feels real, will be broken up with a character (often Alvy) talking outside of the scene or a moment where a more surreal aspect is introduced.

Allen successfully wrestles with his image as an up tight big city jew which fans of his stand up days will relate to. Singer is seen as a classic new york character and his moody put downs of LA and the Hollywood way of living can been seen as representing Allen's real life feelings towards LA and the politics of the Hollywood film business.

All this plus stirring shots of the city make for one of the most entertaining views of love, the sexes, big city life and everything else ever assembled on film. Annie Hall won three other Oscars along side Keaton's Award, Best Picture (Deserved), best Director (debatable) and best original screenplay (very much deserved).

Favourite Scene: The Lobster in the Kitchen scene.
Runner Up: The annoying man in the cinema line scene.

Quote/Unquote:
Alvy: "Your having an affair with you college professior, that jerk that teaches that crap course - contemporary crisis in Western man"
Annie: "Existantial motifs in Russian Literature, your really close"
Alvy: "Whats the difference it's all mental masturbation"
Annie: Oh, we finally get to a subject you know about"
Alvy: Hey don't knock masturbation It's sex with someone I love"

Rating 10/10

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I don't think I've ever seen a Woody Allen film, shamefully enough. He's just one of those filmmakers who has a heap of old classic films which I haven't gotten around to seeing.

I imagine Annie Hall would be a good place to start. Good review.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I wasn't really all that big on Annie Hall, I thought it was quite overrated. It was funny at times, but I just felt most of the movie was them arguing and I got tired of it. The cocaine scene was probably my favorite, I laughed out loud at it, and I believe it wasn't even planned, right?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah Annie Hall would be a good Woody film to start with just for the performances and that it is one of the funnist scripts maybe ever. In terms of something a little more classy or romantic maybe go for Manhattan or Hannah and her Sisters.

I know what my next two are going to be and will try and have both up over the next couple of weeks.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Good review [MENTION=39]Keith[/MENTION], and a good choice for your first movie... While I'm not a fan of most of Allen's work, Annie Hall is the exception. Diane Keaton is just AMAZING!

anyway now that you've completed the letter A, it's time for my favorite part of the thread...... trying to guess the next movie you'll be reviewing.... I'll get the ball rolling..... Braveheart, Boiling Point, Belly, Back to the Future, Bloodsport, Blazing Saddles or the super classic Nick Nolte, Shaquille O'Neal, Anfernee Hardaway picture.. Blue Chips

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Big Trouble In Little China?, Be Cool?, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure? Big Lebowski?

All good choices but no, the correct answer will be up later in the week.

Thanks for the kind words Ziggler.