Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to Coach TUF 17, Will Fight in April

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Well Reem is still serving his suspension. Hendo, Mir, Couture are medically cleared to use it so you can't really get on them for using TRT when they are medically allowed to do it. So for them using it can't really be considered cheating. Reem... he flat cheated and you had people rag on him for I dunno how long. Although yeah it'd be nice to see him fight again cause the guy can do it all... but he still gets ragged on for what he did.

And Chael.. yeah he won 5 out of 7 rounds against Anderson... but not only could he not finish the fight... he lost both of those fights. Submission and then by TKO. I mean you could look at racing and have a guy lead 3/4 of the whole entire race... but what matters is who finishes first on that final lap and yeah you did good... but in the end you still lost. In the end... Chael still lost. I mean Shields was the first person to win a round over GSP in a long time but he still lost the fight. Same applies here. Chael lost. But as far as overrated... I dunno who is saying that but I wouldn't say he is overrated. I'd just say he isn't worthy of a LHW title fight right now.

But with cards, well... some of them have laid eggs and just sucked. That is somethin that everyone can agree on. Yeah it is an art but some of the cards have just been boring. Just flat out dozing off while watching the fights boring. It happens in everything. I don't see much wrong with people talking about that because it legit happens in every sport. Not every fight can be exciting. Not every card can be awesome.

But as far as the fight goes... I'm sure if it wasn't a title fight it would be alright but you know it is going to be a title fight. Everyone knows it is going to be a title fight unless someone doesn't make weight. But yeah when you have a guy that has lost his last couple fights and is getting another title shot in a division he hasn't fought in years at... it gives a sour taste. Its not against really Chael but against the decision as I'm sure if it was like say Thiago Silva, Rich Franklin, or anything... there'd still be gripes as people would say they don't deserve a title shot. Belfort didn't but... nobody else would step up. Now there is time but we have to endure another season of TUF and to try to make things interesting they are going to add Chael to it. That's why he is getting this fight.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
I disagree with Hendo, Forrest, etc being on TRT as well, its just legal doping advocated by a dodgy doctors note.

As for Chael being overrated, he struggles to finish fights, gets triangled like crazy and has a UFC record of 6 - 5. I'm a fan of the guy because underneath all his shit talking he seems like a stand up guy (money laundering aside) but there's nothing truly impressive about him other than his trash talk and his wrestling, he's lacking in all other areas though.

And as for saving TUF, this next season might get good ratings. But what happens when Chael's seasons finished? It'll just go back to the same low numbers. TUF just needs to be cancelled already, its run its course, the numbers don't lie.

Last edited:

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Well Reem is still serving his suspension. Hendo, Mir, Couture are medically cleared to use it so you can't really get on them for using TRT when they are medically allowed to do it. So for them using it can't really be considered cheating. Reem... he flat cheated and you had people rag on him for I dunno how long. Although yeah it'd be nice to see him fight again cause the guy can do it all... but he still gets ragged on for what he did.

And Chael.. yeah he won 5 out of 7 rounds against Anderson... but not only could he not finish the fight... he lost both of those fights. Submission and then by TKO. I mean you could look at racing and have a guy lead 3/4 of the whole entire race... but what matters is who finishes first on that final lap and yeah you did good... but in the end you still lost. In the end... Chael still lost. I mean Shields was the first person to win a round over GSP in a long time but he still lost the fight. Same applies here. Chael lost. But as far as overrated... I dunno who is saying that but I wouldn't say he is overrated. I'd just say he isn't worthy of a LHW title fight right now.

But with cards, well... some of them have laid eggs and just sucked. That is somethin that everyone can agree on. Yeah it is an art but some of the cards have just been boring. Just flat out dozing off while watching the fights boring. It happens in everything. I don't see much wrong with people talking about that because it legit happens in every sport. Not every fight can be exciting. Not every card can be awesome.

But as far as the fight goes... I'm sure if it wasn't a title fight it would be alright but you know it is going to be a title fight. Everyone knows it is going to be a title fight unless someone doesn't make weight. But yeah when you have a guy that has lost his last couple fights and is getting another title shot in a division he hasn't fought in years at... it gives a sour taste. Its not against really Chael but against the decision as I'm sure if it was like say Thiago Silva, Rich Franklin, or anything... there'd still be gripes as people would say they don't deserve a title shot. Belfort didn't but... nobody else would step up. Now there is time but we have to endure another season of TUF and to try to make things interesting they are going to add Chael to it. That's why he is getting this fight.

Chael was medically cleared, he failed the test in Oakland California. Do you really trust that place?

I was just used the Anderson reference, because he is one of the few men to ever do that. That is impressive. So I used that in example. Kind of like in Boxing how some fans, love to point out Floyd Mayweathers flaws on who he lost rounds too.

Yeah because in the olden days in UFC, and Pride we had worse cards? Sometimes random who gives a shit Asian dude vs Rampage, or Big White dude vs Randy Coture. People look at old cards and bring up the names. Yet some of those guys had no names yet so we had to sit through shit. The fact we get to see new people fight is something that is terrific, and really I tell people you love fights or not? They say they do, but need names? I did not know names are so important, when back in the day names were being built, and some of those names have become champions, and hall of famers.

Reactions: 1 person

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I don't need names. I need to see them doing something. Sometimes the names do nothing. Names don't make fights.

Give me two people that know how to grapple and I'm entertained. Give me someone that knows how to strike and counter strike and they are trying... I'm entertained. Give me two people that are gun shy... I mean look back at Maynard vs. Guida... that fight was boring because Guida refused to engage. He would rather jump around like a jumping bean. That's what I mean by boring fights and when a majority of the card consists of guys not willing to engage... I don't care who is on it... that card is boring.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I disagree with Hendo, Forrest, etc being on TRT as well, its just legal doping advocated by a dodgy doctors note.

As for Chael being overrated, he struggles to finish fights, gets triangled like crazy and has a UFC record of 6 - 5. I'm a fan of the guy because underneath all his shit talking he seems like a stand up guy (money laundering aside) but there's nothing truly impressive about him other than his trash talk and his wrestling, he's lacking in all other areas though.

And as for saving TUF, this next season might get good ratings. But what happens when Chael's seasons finished? It'll just go back to the same low numbers. TUF just needs to be cancelled already, its run its course, the numbers don't lie.

With the Fox deal I think they have to produce a couple of seasons a year for the life of the deal. One season a year is more than enough because there aren't enough quality fighters out there and the seasons just blend into each other. It used to be a massive deal but now it is an afterthought. It is tough trying to come up with more names for the show as most of the top names have already coached there. There aren't enough big rivalries left out there either.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The show has been killed by the shitty contestants too, like who was the last winner to make any sort of impact? Probably Nate Diaz 5 years ago, Ross Pearson and Bader have won since too but they are hardly stars. Most the time the finalists get cut after a few fights.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The show has been killed by the shitty contestants too, like who was the last winner to make any sort of impact? Probably Nate Diaz 5 years ago, Ross Pearson and Bader have won since too but they are hardly stars. Most the time the finalists get cut after a few fights.

Well Big Country is still kinda making a splash. Other than that... none of them you really remember.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton

Good point, as has been pointed out already the talent pool for TUF isn't that great anymore. All the world class fighters are all already in UFC, Strikeforce or Bellator so it just leaves all the mid tier nobodies to get onto the show. Even Forrest Griffen has never been all that great he was just good enough to expose/confond Rampage.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
TUF jumped the shark along time ago, either save it for real talents or just scrap it altogether, it already did its job.