John Cena = Best of all time?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

kyle_wwe

Reaction score
I think Cena is the best of all time because he is a really good wrestler and he is better then Shawn Micahels and Undertaker and Triple H and everyone else. He's also really nice and can beat up anyone! THe only person that comes close to Cena is The Great Khali because he is soo big, a match between the two of them would be a dream come true. Agree?

D-K-L

Reaction score
Oh .. My .. Gaaaaaaaaaawwwwdddd!!! Is this kid serious!? Cena better than Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Triple H and everyone else!? Umm.. Nope!! The only person that comes close to Cena is The Great Khali!? Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, I mean seriously? Daaaaaamn!!

CenaMark54

He may be a spam account. But he does speak the truth. Cena is better than all of those guys. The only one that is debatable is HBK, because of his in ring work. However, Cena is the bigger draw so that puts him over HBK in the business of professional wrestling.

Really, HHH and Taker come nowhere near Cena. Cena is the best mic worker and most charismatic star since The Rock. In addition, his in ring work is highly underrated. Cena's wrestling carried the WWE in 2007. Up until his string of injuries, you could argue that Cena was the top in ring worker in the company.

Reaction score
The only one that is debatable is HBK, because of his in ring work.
In terms of in ring work, this isn’t debatable either. Over the last few years Cena has blown HBK out of the water. Since 2006, the only great matches HBK has put on have been against the Undertaker at this years WM, and a few with Cena.

Cena's wrestling carried the WWE in 2007. Up until his string of injuries, you could argue that Cena was the top in ring worker in the company.
I don’t see how this is debatable either. While he had a damn good year in 2006, John Cena’s 2007 has to go down as one of the best ever in terms of in ring work. It ended a few months early because of injury, but up until that point he was just amazing. Like you mentioned, he was forced to carry the WWE for a good part of that year due to all the injuries, and he did a fantastic job. He did not have a bad match on PPV all year long. I’m sure someone will mention his two matches with Khali, but they were easily Khali’s two best matches ever. That year showed that he can put on great matches against many different styles, and it also showed that he can work with guys who are very limited in what they can do (Khali), and he can also work a good match with someone who is very green (Lashley).

MikeRaw

Cenamark, you're completely right. Even though this was just an extremely lame spam/gimmick account, might as well keep the discussion going. Cena isn't the best of all time, we all know that, but he's severly underrated by some fans. His in ring work, I would argue, is better than Taker's. Taker's matches don't do much for me, while Cena's can actually be exciting. Cena is probably equal to Triple H in terms of in ring work. HBK is better in ring than Cena, but Cena is the bigger draw, and when you look back 20 years from now, Cena will be remembered as more important to the industry than HBK, or any of those guys. None of the three (HBK, taker, or HHH) have carried the company, despite the fact Triple H is my favorite.
So Cenamark, you're dead on here.

CenaMark54

^^^Thanks

Some people will see the title of this thread and laugh. Maybe rightfully so. Cena is nowhere near Hogan or Austin, but he is certainly in the top five all time. I may even put Cena ahead of the Rock at this point. Cena has had little to no help carrying the WWE since 2005. The Rock was almost always second fiddle to Austin. Cena has been the one and only draw in the WWE for the last several years. Much like Andre in the 70's and Hogan in the 80's.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
LMFAO @ saying Cena's the best @ mic work since The Rock...

...half of the time, Cena's biting Rock's steeze when he talks :/. You don't act like someone else and get considered the best since that person. That's not how it works. I can think of several in the company right now that work the mic circles around Cena, and they don't come anywhere close to The Rock, and should never be mentioned in the same sentence mic-wise as the Rock, except for one...

...Y2J. And that's because he's currently he only one in the WWE to have gone one-on-one somewhat successfully on the mic against The Rock. Edge, when he's given freedom and he's speaking in character like the Rated R Superstar... is better than Cena on the mic. Undertaker, no matter how corny he might sound sometimes, is one of the ultimate mic-men when he gets on it in the history of the WWE. HBK still owns the mic.

Cena's not only predictable on the mic, but if he's not being himself (which is 90% of the time), it's quite obvious he just finished watching a Rock or Austin DVD. If Cena goes back to acting like himself and being unique, maybe... JUST maybe... he can be considered a good mic-worker. But as of right now, he's a generic imitator.

MikeRaw

LMFAO @ saying Cena's the best @ mic work since The Rock...

...half of the time, Cena's biting Rock's steeze when he talks :/. You don't act like someone else and get considered the best since that person. That's not how it works. I can think of several in the company right now that work the mic circles around Cena, and they don't come anywhere close to The Rock, and should never be mentioned in the same sentence mic-wise as the Rock, except for one...

...Y2J. And that's because he's currently he only one in the WWE to have gone one-on-one somewhat successfully on the mic against The Rock. Edge, when he's given freedom and he's speaking in character like the Rated R Superstar... is better than Cena on the mic. Undertaker, no matter how corny he might sound sometimes, is one of the ultimate mic-men when he gets on it in the history of the WWE. HBK still owns the mic.

Cena's not only predictable on the mic, but if he's not being himself (which is 90% of the time), it's quite obvious he just finished watching a Rock or Austin DVD. If Cena goes back to acting like himself and being unique, maybe... JUST maybe... he can be considered a good mic-worker. But as of right now, he's a generic imitator.

I agree that prime Y2J was better on the Rock than Cena, but current Cena is better than Y2J on the mic, which as a Y2J fanatic sadens me. And no, Undertaker is not better on the mic than Cena. Anyone can pull off the Undertaker stuff. And while liking Edge more than Cena, I'd say Cena is better than Edge too.
IMO, the only guy in WWE better on the mic that Cena would be Y2J, and even that isn't certain currently, with Y2J in his current persona.

Travis40

...Y2J.

Cena's not only predictable on the mic

....what? Jericho goes out every week and cuts the generic promo about how the fans are "parasites", and how the fans are wrong for cheering legends. Hopefully getting drafted means we get to quit hearing the same Jericho promos every week.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I agree that prime Y2J was better on the Rock than Cena, but current Cena is better than Y2J on the mic, which as a Y2J fanatic sadens me. And no, Undertaker is not better on the mic than Cena. Anyone can pull off the Undertaker stuff. And while liking Edge more than Cena, I'd say Cena is better than Edge too.
IMO, the only guy in WWE better on the mic that Cena would be Y2J, and even that isn't certain currently, with Y2J in his current persona.
Undertaker is better because the shit he says on the mic, is in character, in gimmick, and is content only Undertaker would pull off. Sure anyone could go out and say the same shit... but they wouldn't have the same impact. Who the fuck would think it was fitting if Cody Rhodes came out dressed like he does every week talking about the gates of Hell and resting in peace and dragon throats being slashed open, etc?

Edge is more loose on the mic than 90% of the 'E, Cena included. Again, how much can you imitate the Rock, even down to his mannerisms, and be considered fresh, funny, smooth, and loose on the mic? You can't. He's forcing it. If he was himself, sure he'd be good, but he's not.

....what? Jericho goes out every week and cuts the generic promo about how the fans are "parasites", and how the fans are wrong for cheering legends. Hopefully getting drafted means we get to quit hearing the same Jericho promos every week.
To continue... Jericho is himself on the mic. It's his own gimmick, persona, character. And you can predict the content in which Jericho is going to speak, not the direction. Sure you know he might insult a person and degrade them, and you know he's going to call someone a sycophant... but he's putting his OWN shit into his micwork.

Everything about Cena on the mic recently SCREAMS of Rock promos. From the "Whoa! Whoa!" whilst holding a palm to the face, to the way he silently mocks things a person says to the way he attacks someone... it's just, THE ROCK. But when The Rock did it.. it was his own shit. If he copied someone, he did it for humor purposes, not to use it as his own persona. I know I'm not the only person who thinks Cena's imitating The Rock without trying either...

MikeRaw

Undertaker is better because the shit he says on the mic, is in character, in gimmick, and is content only Undertaker would pull off. Sure anyone could go out and say the same shit... but they wouldn't have the same impact. Who the fuck would think it was fitting if Cody Rhodes came out dressed like he does every week talking about the gates of Hell and resting in peace and dragon throats being slashed open, etc?
So Undertaker is good because it fits his character, right? Well how does Cena's not fit his? He doesn't come out dressed in black, and then talk how he does. He comes out jumping around, pumped up, fast paced, and energetic, and that's what his mic work shows. Please explain how his mic work doesn't match his character?

Edge is more loose on the mic than 90% of the 'E, Cena included. Again, how much can you imitate the Rock, even down to his mannerisms, and be considered fresh, funny, smooth, and loose on the mic? You can't. He's forcing it. If he was himself, sure he'd be good, but he's not.

How can you, sitting behind your computer, tell someone who they are? Being similar doesn't mean he is compying him. Is Edge compying Brian Pillman (meaning he sucks for copying him)? Is Batista copying Goldberg? Is Cody Rhodes ripping off Randy Orton? Is Christian ripping off Chris Jericho?
I just don't see how
-You can tell him whether he is or isn't himself
-You can say because someone has the same type of attitude, that means they're ripping someone off.

If you don't like his mic work, say so, and say it straight up. You don't have to accuse him of ripping someone off.

To continue... Jericho is himself on the mic. It's his own gimmick, persona, character. And you can predict the content in which Jericho is going to speak, not the direction. Sure you know he might insult a person and degrade them, and you know he's going to call someone a sycophant... but he's putting his OWN shit into his micwork.

Sorry, but again, as a Y2J fan, even I must say he is the most predictable promo man in WWE right now. Every word he says I know before he says it.

Everything about Cena on the mic recently SCREAMS of Rock promos. From the "Whoa! Whoa!" whilst holding a palm to the face, to the way he silently mocks things a person says to the way he attacks someone... it's just, THE ROCK. But when The Rock did it.. it was his own shit. If he copied someone, he did it for humor purposes, not to use it as his own persona. I know I'm not the only person who thinks Cena's imitating The Rock without trying either...

If anything, I'd say Cena has more the mannerisms of Hogan than Rock.

noumenon

Cena the best of all time? No...definately not.
Cena probably the biggest to come of this generation? DEFINATELY
Anyone who denies that fact is just ignorant. The guys stands the closest change to carrying a Rock/Austin type legacy out of this current generation of superstars. There is no doubt the ridiculous amount of fans this guy has drawn in and the controvery he has stirred up in the wrestling industry.

Is his in ring work incredible? HELL NO
Does it get the job done? Yeah
Just like Austin, his in ring work is not anything above average but he carries such an aura that it truly fits him and really gets the job done.

Personally I despise Cena's mic work. I cringe every single time he cuts a promo lately. His promos are so incredibly cheezy it makes me gag. He does have the potential to be great on the mic...just not the way he's doing it now.

MikeRaw

I think how he's doing it now is more WWE's fault than his. Remember, they write most of the promos, and when they don't write it, they lay out the basic premise. Cena showed during his rapper gimmick, and later, during his 05/06 era, that he can be original and good on the mic. The way he is now can coem off as cheesy, but the fact that he can still at least pull it off shows he's a great mic man. I agree though, it gets cheesy at times, but I'd blame the writers.

LKP

Cena comes off very cheesy but its for the so called younger generation. Is he controversial? Yes he is but i think his best mic work was against edge on last weeks smackdown. If he can deliver like that every week then hes got my vote on the mic skills that is. He is going to have to do a lot more to impress me in the ring.