Jeff Jarrett: How & When TNA Will Compete With WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mr.Enigma

Reaction score
A local newspaper in Johnstown, Pennsylvania recently conducted an interview with Jeff Jarrett to promote TNA's live event in the city on January 14th. Visit OurTownOnline.biz to read the entire interview.

Jarrett spoke at length about how TNA Wrestling can compete with World Wrestling Entertainment. "They [WWE] are sports entertainment; we are professional wrestling," Jarret said. "Our in-ring product takes priority over other facets of the business." "The product that has drawn millions and millions of fans over the years, going back to the '60s, is professional wrestling ... (TNA) is fresh and modern, but it is in the essence of what has always been done."

Jarrett knows what it takes to build a successful wrestling promotion and thinks TNA goes an extra step to make sure their fans are satisfied. "We recognize the fact that we've got to earn our fans one at a time," Jarrett said. "I have been a part of wrestling my entire life, but I've never seen this kind of excitement generated by the backstage access, the autograph sessions, and the opportunities to get up close and personal with the TNA stars at the merchandise table."

With TNA firing their "first shot" at WWE on January 4th with their first live 3-hour Monday night edition of TNA iMPACT!, Jarrett explains what's ahead on TNA's path to truly competing with WWE. "Things are getting bigger and better. With the addition of Hulk Hogan, skies are very blue for TNA. Are we going to come right out of the gate and beat them? Are we claiming that? Absolutely not," he said. "But we're in the game, and competition is good. We are very optimistic that by the end of 2010, it'll be a different game."

I like how JJ has approached this opinion. He is not sounding over confident nor is he claiming to make statements that are of that sort as well. He actually gave an honest and logical opinion that made plenty of sense. I for one will definitely be watching TNA on the 4th to see if anything how they pull this off or not.

I love Bret Hart and all, but him alone is not going to do it for me and he is not going to be in every angle of RAW that night either. That being said, everything about TNA will be different first and far most, it will be live. So yeah, all the great things about that will show as well as the screw ups or verbal mishaps. I am definitely looking forward to this and and I am just loving how JJ is at least giving TNA by the end of 2010 to make things at least better if not ahead of the game.

*1: Do you think JJ's assessment of TNA by the end of 2010 is a fair assessment?

*2: Do you think TNA will make that huge turnaround by the end of 2010 that at least puts them in even a more suitable position to compete with WWE if not possibly better or on the same level?

Let your voices be heard!

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I hope your prepared to get nothing but WWE marks disagreeing and saying how TNA is crap no matter what they do. It's why I don't post in this section anymore because your not allowed to like something that TNA is doing. lol.

Kizza

I stopped reading when Jarrett said they were professional wrestling.

LKP

No matter who tna get from wwe pr get outside of the wwe. They cannot compete with wwe. If wwe step up their game TNA have no chance.

Mr.Enigma

Reaction score
I hope your prepared to get nothing but WWE marks disagreeing and saying how TNA is crap no matter what they do. It's why I don't post in this section anymore because your not allowed to like something that TNA is doing. lol.

Man I broke out laughing when i read that post. Thanks for the reminder, but hey, sometimes, someone has to break the ice and be the black sheep. Thanks for the laugh though, it was indeed a nice Christmas gift even if not intended.

Reaction score
Here are the MAJOR things TNA will need to do to even get a decent footing to compete with the E:
1. Scrap EVERY person involved with creative. Russo, Mantlel, all those guys. They are more than proven ineffective and have done nothing to spice up or even improve the product. No more pointless swerves, no more re-hashing angles that have been re-hashed ten times before, no more nonsense. They need WRESTLING people to run what they aim to be, a pro wrestling company. And Eric Bischoff certainly isn't the answer. You need people are aren't marks for themselves, Mick Foley would be awesome, he has always done what is best for biz and throw in Jim Cornette or see if you can entice Paul Heyman as he is the father of bringing modernism to wrestling. Look how awesome SD! was from 2002-03 while he had the book there, or how awesome the One Night Stands were. He still has it. Dixie needs to also step aside, she knows nothing about the business and she has shown that with the people she has surrounded herself with to help run her business. She's the Al Davis equivalent to wrestling.

2. Drop all the stupid gimmicks. The six sided rings, nicknaming every single wrestler, stupid, overly complex matches, gimmick PPVs. It all needs to stop. Go back to basics. If you want new fans you have to offer some familiarities to the product. Plus I always thought the six-sided ring added a bit of cheesiness that screamed of generic.

3. Suck every last bit of drawing power out of their legends, which isn't much, and give all your young, homegrown talent rubs. If they object to it, send their busted asses packing, where are they to go? No one else wants them or will pay their price tag, yet TNA constantly does the opposite. With those rubs it will help legitimize your unknown talent in the eyes of new fans. Stop touting Jeff Jarrett as a big deal, he never was and never will be. Can't squeeze shit out of a famished Ethiopian. FOCUS ON THE FUTURE!

4. Push an angle that will garner headlines. Push Awesome Kong as a man-beater. Her match with Faggy Gunn was not only the highest rated segment of that particular Impact, it outdrew all the legends on that show that night. Proof enough that people are interested in new, fresh ideas and faces in the wrestling world. A believable woman beating male counterparts will accomplish media coverage and get people talking and buzzing about this new promotion on the block.

5. Have Impact take place in other places than the same fucking place week after week. You need a hot audience to make your product look like hot stuff and the Impact Zone audience sucks. They are theme park tourists who got in for free. Show the passionate fans that are excited to be there since they paid for their tickets. It's amazing how much atmosphere can bring out a product, look at the aura the ECW audience created for ECW.

6. Advertise better. TNA advertisements should be running where their target audience is watching. TNA advertisements should be running on channels like Comedy Central and during Adult Swim. No one is going to be aware of the promotion if spots only run on the network it airs on.

8. And this is probably the biggest thing: STOP trying to be something that has already been. Stop WWE impressions, stop trying to be awful WCW, stop trying to recapture ECW. BE TNA. Form a unique identity, but do it with a simple attitude, not the overly gimmicked, complex, swerve-laden promotion that is the current standard.

Mr.Enigma

Reaction score
I happen to agree...if TNA went back to what made them TNA to begin with and built on that alone, they would more than likely be even better by now, but it is not too late to recapture that flame.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Enzo Malenko is seriously one of my favourite wrestling posters right now and the above post is exactly why.

C4

*1: Do you think JJ's assessment of TNA by the end of 2010 is a fair assessment?

Absolutely not. They're nothing compared to the WWE and will need a lot of time to 'turn the game around'. I don't think a year can change anything for TNA.
*2: Do you think TNA will make that huge turnaround by the end of 2010 that at least puts them in even a more suitable position to compete with WWE if not possibly better or on the same level?

Like I said, I don't think a year can change anything for TNA. Yes they are bringing in Hogan and stuff but to get a solid fanbase built and to be better or at least on the same level as the WWE they need some time.

Great One

I would add that hey should shoot live to Enzo's. I honestly think that could be one of the main beneficial things and could gain ratings.

MC Rae

Reaction score
In short, TNA are MILES away and Enzo Malenko is the man! He hit the nail right on the head in my eyes.

Reaction score
I think if you're a fan of wrestling you should enjoy both WWE and TNA. Wait sorry, they don't really wrestle in WWE anymore. They have backstage segments that demean little people with their two top faces. That's how Vince does "wrestling".

monkeystyle

Reaction score
See I hate this. WWE puts on average about 20 minutes of wrestling per Raw. So does fucking TNA. They are no better.

Reaction score
They are, do you even watch Impact? It's okay to say no, I'm not trying to bait you dude. I'm the new guy here, but really TNA is freaking awesome if you watch with an open mind.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Yes I have watched impact within the last month. They have the same amount of wrestling on the show as Raw. The rest is just a different variety of lame backstage skits.

What exactly is the difference between the two?