Jay-Z threatened with lawsuit over 'Big Pimpin'' sample

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kellie

Reaction score
JayZPA041110.jpg

Jay-Z could face a lawsuit over a sample used in his 2000 single 'Big Pimpin'', according to reports.

Rolling Stone says that the rapper could be taken to court by the nephew of Egyptian composer Baligh Hamady, who alleges that the hip hop star's track has ruined his uncle's composition 'Khosara, Khosara'.

Although Jay-Z acquired the license for the original track and several Egyptian musicians have already failed to substantiate lawsuits arguing that they have a valid license for 'Khosara, Khosara', Osama Ahmed Fahmy claims that a loophole in Egyptian copyright law means that the author of the song is entitled to economic ownership and control of what happens with the material.

He insists that the rapper's song "mutilates" the original source material and also claims that he and his family have not been properly compensated for use of the song. He is thought to be demanding a cut of Jay-Z's profits dating back to 2000, as well as a portion of his revenue from live shows.

Earlier this week (March 5), Jay-Z and Kanye West added two more shows to their joint summer UK tour.

The pair, who are touring their joint album 'Watch The Throne', have added new dates in Birmingham and Sheffield to their UK run. Although they only released their debut album as 'The Throne' last year, but Jay-Z has previously hinted that the second release from his and West's 'Watch The Throne' project will be released this year.

He said of he and West's future plans: "We – I say 'we' because I'm in Throne mode – we're in a great place creatively. You might see a Jay, then Kanye and a Throne album next year… We've really found our zone."

Kanye West/Jay-Z will play:

London O2 Arena (May 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
Manchester Evening News Arena (June 11, 12)
Birmingham's LG Arena (13, 22)
Sheffield Motorpoint Arena (21)

nme

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
So 12 years later they are talking about a lawsuit? That is ridiculous.

Swinny

Reaction score
So 12 years later they are talking about a lawsuit? That is ridiculous.

Yeah, it is and really takes away any legitimacy this case might of had, if any to begin with, when they wait that long.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I wonder what happened to that lawsuit DDP filed against him over the diamond hand signal....

Postman Dave

Reaction score
so that's where his yoga money came from!

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
They could seize half of Jay's money and he'd still be five to ten times richer than some celebrities, so... yeah...

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The article clearly states that he owns the rights to the song. Even if there is such a loophole in Egyptian copyright law, which I doubt, the individual suing him would only be entitled to a portion of royalties earned in that country. Not sure how much Jay-Z sells in Egypt, but something tells me its not that much.