Is Rey Losing The Mask?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
It looks like the WWE is teasing an official unmasking of Rey Mysterio since Extreme Rules. Now I have NO understanding of rules regarding the luchadore mask, and what's supposed to happen when a rival(aka Jericho) removes it, of course those rules may not apply to WWE:shrugs:I vaguely remember Rey Rey going around without the mask in the old WCW though since I never liked WCW I don't know why he wasn't wearing it. Though someone told me that when he went to WWE, and they had him put the mask back on it was considered a bad thing since he wasn't wearing it for a time.I don't have a clue what he meant though. I have to wonder though if Rey Rey would be as appealing to kids, and thus merchandise if he does lose the mask. Do you think Rey losing the mask is a wise move or a bad plan?

MikeRaw

I don't think it'll happen. I really don't. The only way I can see it happening is if he retired, and I think that may happen a few years down the road. I can see him going out like that. But not yet. As long as he's active, I don't see it happening.

MaZZacare

Reaction score
well conisdering the WWE can right its own rules about the unmasking of wrestlers anything is possible i dont think they would do that though

The Rated R CMStar

I don't think Rey Rey will lose the mask...but I do think we will see the face of Rey Mysterio on our TV sets clearly sooner than later.

Reaction score
I think Rey would leave WWE rather than be unmasked. He's unmarketable when unmasked; ask Eric Bischoff. Plus, there's a lot of pride in the luchadores' masks, so with that being said, I don't see Mysterio losing it any time soon.

Wrestling Station

He has been unmasked before so I dont see what would stop them from writing an angle for him as unmasked. He can be unmasked and he can use painted mask instead (heel Rey) imo.

Wordlife

I think a heel Rey would be good right now, considering the fact that the WWE has not many real good heels on SD imo. They get stale. Throw Edge and Jericho into the face side, give Rey a heel shot, see where it goes. It'd be quite interesting to see

kingovkings

Reaction score
I dont see Rey losing his mask any time soon. I also dont see him going heel either. It's all about the monaaaay. He sells shit loads of merchandise. And i would imagine a lot of that money will be on Masks. Plus he has a huge fans base and a big part of that is kids. So i think he will be a masked face for a long time if not forever while he is in the wwe.

noumenon

Seriously, that mask has to be second in sales only to Cena t-shirts. I don't think there are many people who haven't seen Rey without his mask, except maybe for little kids. But hell who when they were younger didn't go online and type in "KANE UNMASKED"...you don't think kids do that for Rey? I don't think a disgrace unmasking would be a bad thing, it doesn't have to be permanent. Just have Jericho rip it off one night in a beat down and show his face. It would give Jericho some incredible heat and add even more fuel to this pretty good feud.

Reaction score
when rey lost his mask in WCW it was from none other than Jericho himself...i made a post about this earlier...

also if WWE was to unmask Rey they should use it as a double personality... like the Great Muta and Kegji(sp) Mutoh. they could have Rey Mysterio w/ mask and a Heel unmasked Oscar Gutierez...

Reaction score
I don't think a disgrace unmasking would be a bad thing, it doesn't have to be permanent. Just have Jericho rip it off one night in a beat down and show his face. It would give Jericho some incredible heat and add even more fuel to this pretty good feud.

That wouldn't be good for the feud at all... the point of the feud is showcasing Jericho's ruthlessness, while at the same time displaying Mysterio's tenacity of keeping his prideful mask on... What good would saying "Whoops!" and putting the mask back on do?

And RareBreedRockstar, Mysterio lost his mask to Kevin Nash and Scott Hall in WCW.

Reaction score
MFISG- i take back my previous statement... however they did run a fued rey/jericho over the mask when jericho claimed juvi's and prince iakaia's skirt

chessarmy

nah, he already lost it once and I doubt Rey would agree to lose it again, its not happening

noumenon

Uhhhh, actually Nash unmasked Mysterio not Jericho.
I fondly remember Nash wearing the mask as a hat..lmao.

Reaction score
They will eventually have a title vs mask match and if they do Rey will most likely win the title back....I dont see him losing the mask