Is Rey Losing The Mask?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SnackZ

Reaction score
I see Rey getting the mask taken off to the point where we can see his face clearly, where maybe jericho beats him down, ties him in the ropes and bloodies him up. Then jericho leaves the mask there with Rey, maybe right in front of him and walks away - we then have Rey wondering if he should continue with the mask and the negative impact its had on his current matches (ie: jericho beating him by moving the mask, taking it off, etc...) or if he should show his face since its been seen now. He could definitely leave for a bit and return with a painted on mask and be a heel, saying the fans all turned on him after they saw his face and how jericho is right that they are two faced and hypocrites. just my thoughts.

The Rated R CMStar

Nah, I mean, the reason I doubt he wouldn't lose the mask is merchandise, and turning heel would have the same effect.

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
If the unmasking is foresure. I agree most with this:
He has been unmasked before so I dont see what would stop them from writing an angle for him as unmasked. He can be unmasked and he can use painted mask instead (heel Rey) imo

beastbomber

Reaction score
I really cant see much point in unmasking him again. He is much less marketable without the mask, and the obvious point has already been made that he already lost it once before, albeit with WCW. They will most likely let him keep the mask. It is a good business decision to do so.

seX-Power

I think a heel Rey would be good right now, considering the fact that the WWE has not many real good heels on SD imo. They get stale. Throw Edge and Jericho into the face side, give Rey a heel shot, see where it goes. It'd be quite interesting to see

No, it would be pretty awful tbh. Both Edge and Jericho as faces and Rey Mysterio as heel? That would really, really suck.

Airfixx

He's MUCH better off with the mask (as is Vince's wallet.)... I can't see him losing it permanently.

My prediction for Sunday is Jericho getting carried away with taking the mask off during the match (rather than just gunning for a win) and Rey taking advantage of this to get the decision...

I'd love to see them pull a heel turn with Rey, have him wearing the same gear but all black (putting a twist on his characetr kinda like the darker era of Spiderman in the Marvel comics).... Just a shame I don't think Rey's got it in him to be a heel.

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think Rey will ever turn heel. I don't think he's losing his mask either. Unless he has actual problems wrestling with the mask (which he's been doing for years, so why now?) he won't be losing it.

Reaction score
he looks good without the mask, but it's less marketable definitely as it's one thing less to sell. they should bring la parka and unmask him, now that would make a great angle.

phantomgerald

The thing with Rey is without his mask, he looks like an average Mexican boy and that is hard to market. The mask gives Rey a unique character, otherwise he'll be quite stale.

I do however think that they should do something with Rey. He's been pretty stale before this feud and I think he'll be stale again after this feud. Why don't they create a luchador faction? It'll help push Rey and it can work both ways, by being face but also can be heel and cheating and nobody knowing who the hell they are.

Double J

Reaction score
Why don't they create a luchador faction? It'll help push Rey and it can work both ways, by being face but also can be heel and cheating and nobody knowing who the hell they are.

Yes because the Mexicools worked out so well....

I seriously doubt Rey will ever go heel, he's never been a heel in his lifetime career. How exactly would you push him as a heel? He's "the ultimate underdog", he's small and wouldn't sound good being cocky.

And like everyone has already said, he looses the mask Vince looses money.

I think Rey loosing his mask would hurt him in Mexico aswell, AAA and lucha libre is very tradition based. Hell I'll post this in another post, kinda gives meaning of Luchadore masks, this is for the topic creator who asked why it was a bad thing.

Double J

Reaction score
Masks (mascaras) have been used dating back to the beginnings of lucha libre and have a historical significance to Mexico dating to the days of the Aztecs. Early masks were very simple with basic colors to distinguish the wrestler. In modern lucha libre, masks are colorfully designed to evoke the images of animals, gods, ancient heroes, and other archetypes, whose identity the luchador takes on during a performance. Virtually all wrestlers in Mexico will start their careers wearing masks, but over the span of their careers a large number of them will be unmasked. Sometimes, a wrestler slated for retirement will be unmasked in his final bout or at the beginning of a final tour, signifying loss of identity as that character. Sometimes, losing the mask signifies the end of a gimmick with the wrestler moving on to a new gimmick and mask. The mask is considered "sacred" to a degree, so much so that fully removing an opponent's mask during a match is grounds for disqualification.

During their careers, masked luchadores will often be seen in public wearing their masks and keeping up the kayfabe of Lucha Libre while other masked wrestlers will interact with the public and press normally. However, they will still go to great lengths to conceal their true identities; in effect, the mask is synonymous with the luchador. El Santo continued wearing his mask after retirement, revealed his face briefly only in old age, and was buried wearing his silver mask.

More recently, the masks that luchadores wear have become iconic symbols of Mexican culture. Contemporary artists like Francisco Delgado and Xavier Garza incorporate wrestler masks in their paintings.

Although masks are a feature of lucha libre, it is a misconception that every Mexican wrestler uses one. There have been several non-masked wrestlers who have been successful, particularly Tarzan Lopez, Gory Guerrero and Perro Aguayo. Formerly masked wrestlers who lost their masks, such as Satanico, Cien Caras and others, have had continued success despite the mask losses.

Luchas de apuestas
With the importance placed on masks in lucha libre, losing the mask to an opponent is seen as the ultimate insult and can at times seriously hurt the career of the unmasking wrestler. Putting one's mask on the line against a hated opponent is a tradition in lucha libre as a means to settle a heated feud between two or more wrestlers. In these battles, called luchas de apuestas ("matches with wagers"), the wrestlers "wager" either their mask or their hair.

The first luchas de apuestas match was presented on July 14, 1940 at Arena México. The defending champion Murciélago was so much lighter than his challenger Octavio that he requested a further condition before he would sign the contract: Octavio would have to put his hair on the line. Octavio won the match and Murciélago unmasked, giving birth to a tradition in lucha libre.