Is it time for WWE to merge the Titles?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The title scene just reminds me of WCWs clusterfuck of titles in the late 80s and early 90s.

It's just time to get rid of useless titles. People keep crying about how they could add prestige to certain titles, but there is no adding anything to fat. Trim it.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But are you including the IC Title in that because that traditionally has been WWE's big midcard belt and they need at least one other singles title?

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
With all the talk of having an all cruiserweight show on the new channel, I wonder if they plan on bringing back the cruiserweight/lightweight title. Seems like if they're gonna have a show all to themselves, they should probably also have a title (like they are doing with NXT).

I realize this won't afffect anything unless there is crossover between shows. but if there is it just brings another midcard title into the picture in which case I say yes definitely merge the IC and US belts

TKK

Reaction score
I like the idea of a world title merger, but it wouldn't work unless the world champion and challengers were prepared to show up on both Raw and SmackDown regularly. This would help main event storylines and bring up ratings. I would also cut the US title or change it with a European title for the lower mid card wrestlers. This whole idea would obviously have some negative affects, one being that with more main eventers on SmackDown that some talent wouldn't get a look in.

AF.

Reaction score
Short answer; yes.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
With all the talk of having an all cruiserweight show on the new channel, I wonder if they plan on bringing back the cruiserweight/lightweight title. Seems like if they're gonna have a show all to themselves, they should probably also have a title (like they are doing with NXT). I realize this won't afffect anything unless there is crossover between shows. but if there is it just brings another midcard title into the picture in which case I say yes definitely merge the IC and US belts

Don't think they have enough good talent who can work that style is the problem with that for me.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
But are you including the IC Title in that because that traditionally has been WWE's big midcard belt and they need at least one other singles title?

Pretty obvious the IC title has been replaced by the WHC as the midcard title.

You don't need more belts, how do you build contenders for titles, if you have more belts than you can actually promote?

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The title scene just reminds me of WCWs clusterfuck of titles in the late 80s and early 90s.

It's just time to get rid of useless titles. People keep crying about how they could add prestige to certain titles, but there is no adding anything to fat. Trim it.
The only one that really needs to be removed completely is the WHC. I guarantee everyone would respect the US and IC titles again if there was 1 less world title. That is seriously the only problem.

DashX

Reaction score
Just get rid of the World Heavyweight title, even though its treated like a secondary title it still is a world title, and now that the 2 brands don't mean anything anymore its time to get rid of a world title.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I would be more in favour of dropping the World Title than IC Title which is an important part of WWE's history and it is a cop out to drop, they just need to promote it better is all.

Weez

Reaction score
I'm fine with their being 2 World titles. Who gives a shit tbh? lol I don't think Sheamus holding the WHC makes Punk look any worse and vice versa. I see this RAAAAGGGEEE in the IWC all the time for absolutely no reason. It's not confusing to the audience, it doesn't water down anything, it doesn't lower the "prestige" of any other title in the company.

The Storyline feuds (Or lack thereof) for the belts lower their prestige. Period.

Weez

Reaction score
I'm fine with their being 2 World titles. Who gives a shit tbh? lol I don't think Sheamus holding the WHC makes Punk look any worse and vice versa. I see this RAAAAGGGEEE in the IWC all the time for absolutely no reason. It's not confusing to the audience, it doesn't water down anything, it doesn't lower the "prestige" of any other title in the company.

The Storyline feuds (Or lack thereof) for the belts lower their prestige. Period.

Sorry, randomly made me stop typing. Couldn't edit. Weird. Sorry for the double post.

The point is, no one here, save a few purists, would have any real problem with anything if they'd utilize the titles they have. All of them. The U.S. Title hasn't mattered since Hardy/MVP 2007. It's now a complete joke. The IC title has actually been used pretty damn well over the last few years. I think about Mysterio/Ziggler/Punk a while back, then Cody's run up to Wrestlemania. THen putting it on a guy like Christian, a former World Champion, and the putting it on yet another former World Champion in the Miz tonight, brilliant.

The Top guy(s) in the company will ALWAYS get Top Billing, no matter what. It happened with Hogan. It happened with Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, Kurt Angle. It's happening and has been for a long time with Cena. It's the undeniable truths of Wrestling: 1) You're going to put on your Stud draw last. 2) Your Stud Draw can't hold the title all the time.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ Ok but first of all your rant at the start there is a bit confusing this is a wrestling forum and I bought up a pretty logical subject for members to discuss don't think anyone is raging about anything. Also I don't think I or anyone else was suggesting that fans get confused with there being two world champions just that it has to lession the value of a world champion if there are two of you.

Thanks for the history lession at the end there but again I don't think anyone was saying that the IC belt has ever been bigger or should be than the world title just that back in glory days it was seen as a big deal and something which was stepping stone to the big one and which on any given night could be in the main event. In recent years it has come across too much like a belt which can be placed on any midcarder or on a guy or creative just have nothing better to do with.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
^ Ok but first of all your rant at the start there is a bit confusing this is a wrestling forum and I bought up a pretty logical subject for members to discuss don't think anyone is raging about anything. Also I don't think I or anyone else was suggesting that fans get confused with there being two world champions just that it has to lession the value of a world champion if there are two of you.

Thanks for the history lession at the end there but again I don't think anyone was saying that the IC belt has ever been bigger or should be than the world title just that back in glory days it was seen as a big deal and something which was stepping stone to the big one and which on any given night could be in the main event. In recent years it has come across too much like a belt which can be placed on any midcarder or on a guy or creative just have nothing better to do with.

Logical answers are now called rants? What is this The O'Reilly Factor?

I still think the belts should be merged, less is more imo.

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
Whatever you people think . Belts are not going to merge in near future . There are 2 shows and they have different house shows which means , every house show neads a title . and whether you agree or not WHC is bigger than IC .SO Sheamus vs Del rio for World heavyweight championship sounds bigger and more important then SHeamus vs Del rio for US/IC title , given the fact the way they have been treated in past 4-5 years .