is it me or has randy gotten a bit stale?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
He's only stale because WWE isn't doing a damn thing with him right now. Jobbing to Kane at Wrestlemania wasn't a good indicator of WWE's immediate future plans for him either. I actually have a terrible feeling that he's going to become a mid-card sensation and only be involved in world title matches when there's a triple threat, EC, or something of that nature.

Moving him to Smackdown is what really killed his reputation. It is almost impossible to remain relevant on that show unless you are the world champion or contending for it. And Orton's last reign really didn't do anything for Smackdown. Even Kane and Mark Henry's reigns were more interesting.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
A heel turn would be cool but with so many heels on the roster, you can't. They need to turn it up with Randy somehow, make him do some crazy promo that makes gives him even more edge to his character.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
A heel turn would be cool but with so many heels on the roster, you can't. They need to turn it up with Randy somehow, make him do some crazy promo that makes gives him even more edge to his character.
What pisses me off the most about it is that he was improving immensely with his heel promos, then WWE suddenly turned him face. He's not near as interesting as a face and I think we can all agree on that at least. I sincerely believed during his last heel run that this was a man that should never be a babyface, despite how much the fans loved him at the time. He did with the crowd as a heel what Cena does as a face, which was provoke the exact opposite reaction from the crowd that WWE was booking, which I thought was one of the best things WWE had at the time. It was the perfect counter-act for Cena, and these two men seriously should have had a Wrestlemania match.

I also thought his dvd was a little too personal and for everyone that watched it or heard about it, his "viper-tough-guy" aura was practically buried in the documentary. Don't misunderstand me, I seriously doubt that was a serious reason for his current flop status, but jesus, just WATCH that fucking documentary and tell me you think Orton is the badass you thought he was before. I sure as fuck didn't. Ruined it for me completely.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I'm a bigger Randy Orton fan that I show on the board. I have Orton's documentary because Orton was one of my favorites from 2004 to 2006 before I stopped watching then I started watching again and he was beating the hell out of the McMahons. I'll always support Orton because he can deliver in the ring but he has gotten stale. As for the documentary, it did come off a bit flat and a bit less bad ass. He was just trying to show everyone his life so I'm not sure what direction he was going to.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
He had his best year of matches last year...

So if people consider him stale for focusing more on his matches instead of his character for once since coming to SmackDown! that is there problem. I think he is much more concerned with his actual matches now rather than trying to be a bad ass. You could say it's his face turn but I think in general it's how SD! is booked. They want him as their top face so they aren't going to change that until someone takes it from him or he retires like Edge. So now Orton has more time to focus and prepare for matches instead of random promos.

Last edited:

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
That's why I have no problem with Orton. People complain about him all the time but the guy has had phenomenal since the beginning of 2011. His matches with the likes of Punk, Christian, and even Barrett have been great to watch.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Pretty much agree with KIF really. Personally, I enjoy the whole 'less is more' sort of thing he has going character wise, god knows how much they would ruin him by putting a mic infront of him everyweek like they've done with Sheamus.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
He had his best year of matches last year...

So if people consider him stale for focusing more on his matches instead of his character for once since coming to SmackDown! that is there problem. I think he is much more concerned with his actual matches now rather than trying to be a bad ass. You could say it's his face turn but I think in general it's how SD! is booked. They want him as their top face so they aren't going to change that until someone takes it from him or he retires like Edge. So now Orton has more time to focus and prepare for matches instead of random promos.

Randy's ring work last year showed improvement and consistency. No argument that he's become more "wrestling-oriented".

Even though I enjoy him in the ring, I consider him stale nonetheless because he has no gimmick right now, no direction. I agree he doesn't necessarily need a microphone every other week but he's basically Kofi Kingston right now.

Maybe that criticism should be thrown towards the Smackdown booking team rather, but regardless Randy has no momentum right now. Having a hook to your character is part of the game too, isn't it?

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Not just content with him being really good in the ring and having pretty much no direction or character because we've seen him have great character and direction before. So to mix that with his much improved in ring ability these past few years would be great to see. As said tho I blame it mostly on Smackdown creative because he isn't the only guy on SD with this issue right now.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Maybe I should blame the booking team here but I think Orton is pretty content being their top face without going out of his way to prove it. I just think he has a lot of influence over the way he is booked. I'd rather he just wrestle every week now that he is getting really good.

BDC

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with KIF really. Personally, I enjoy the whole 'less is more' sort of thing he has going character wise, god knows how much they would ruin him by putting a mic infront of him everyweek like they've done with Sheamus.

Less is more....yeah, that was great about a year and a half ago, but it's getting STALE!! I love his ring work, don't get me wrong. But just imagine if Jericho kept coming out night after night and not saying anything...IT HAS TO STOP!!!!!:Smash:

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Because comparing Jericho who is excellent on the mic to Orton who is average at best is a real good comparison right?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Personality-wise, yes I think he's getting stale, but not to the point it's a problem, he's still interesting me. Wrestling-wise, he's still great. Don't see how anyone's had a problem with his ring work, but a lot of people seem too. I've always loved Orton in the ring.