Is it legal to pay a bill in pennies?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Miller

Reaction score
Great pics, she's one of my fav divas

Kairi

Reaction score
2,500 pennies: A Utah man was cited with disorderly conduct after trying to pay a disputed $25 doctor's bill in pennies. Are US businesses free to decline payment in US currency?

According to a story that appeared Friday in The Deseret News, Jason West went to Vernal's Basin Clinic to dispute a $25 doctor's bill. If the clinic remained unconvinced, Mr. West came with a Plan B, which involved almost 14 lbs. of pennies.

Apparently, the argument didn't go his way. According to Vernal police, West asked if the clinic accepted cash, and then dumped the 2,500 pennies on the counter, demanding that they count it. “The pennies were strewn about the counter and the floor,â€￾ said the assistant police chief.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm sorry but that is just being a asshole to try and expect someone to be okay with counting all those pennies for a 25 dollar bill. Just get dollar bills.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
It does kinda feel...odd to say that it should be illegal to pay a bill in pennies because they are legal tender, but I have to agree with this. Pennies are simply too small an amount and you have to purposely want to piss someone off to pay $25 in pennies. $25 is a lot even for dimes, let alone pennies. That's a lot of counting.

What he should've done is count the pennies himself, get a bunch of penny rollers, roll them up, take them to the bank and get real bills in exchange.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Which is why I say he was being an ass on purpose since doing what you said makes the most sense if that just so happens to be all you got. How he even got 25 dollars worth a pennies is what I wonder.