Is CM Punk's Charcter Believable?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Is it just me or does John Laurenitis look like he could beat the hell out of Punk in real life? I know it's all about suspending your dis-belief, but for some reason Punk just doesn't fit the whole "bad ass" montra vey well.

Now SCSA was totally believable and I could buy him clearing out every man in the ring. He is the best bad-ass to ever play that role. Will Punk ever be Austin? Hell No... No pun intended.

Maybe it's because he has to wear those "Jericho" style boots that give him a 3 or 4 inch lift. Or maybe it is because he has no real muscle. He reminds me alot of Jericho in build and jujst doesn't quite fit the bill on the way they are trying to book him.

I mean, Cody Rhodes is 6'2" and I know that as fact B/C I'm 6'2" and when I saw him at ring-side, we were Eye-To-Eye. When I saw Punk, I was in shock at how small he was.

It's just something about it I just cant buy. But I do find him very good at what he does and the JL-Punk angle it's self is very refreshing and entertaining. Good Stuff.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
Oh, I can't wait to see the reaction to this. See, sir, this forum is full of Punk marks... who cum at the very sight, thought, or presence of the WWE Champion. Not to mention they don't care just how fucking stupid they look doing so.

I agree and disagree with you. Punk isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be, but he's a credible mic worker... and that's what gives him his edge. He's got the silver tongue, and I'm sure we all can agree with that. His move set... can be boring against the wrong guy. He's small, like you said, and doesn't give off the rub of a truly bad ass guy who'd beat the crap out of you if you pissed him off. He reminds me of a heel, in the fact that he uses his tongue, his wit, and his charisma to his advantage.

As far as this angle is concerned, I think Johnny Laurinitis looked pretty good at the end of RAW. I do want to see him in a match against Punk at the Elimination Chamber PPV. I think that'd be a hell of an interesting sight to see. I'm all for it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
For one he isn't supposed to be Stone Cold he's supposed to be himself so doesn't make sense to compare em just because of the whole bad ass factor. Punk's character isn't built around kicking everyone's asses so don't see why his character wouldn't be believable when his character is a smart ass & unconventional kind of guy. He puts over in his promos how he doesn't meet the status quo of being the tall muscle bound guy and doesn't need to be to kick someone's face in so yes his character is believable because it's based on how he really is.

As for Johnny L just because someone is tall doesn't mean they can beat someone's ass. You can be tall and be a cream puff. His character is being a former wrestler who's career wasn't that good for people to remember seen as a yes man and a pushover. So based on that just case he is taller than Punk doesn't mean he couldn't get beat down by Punk or anyone else smaller than him.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I am a fan of Punk don't see a reason I shouldn't be.

PHX has already pointed out the differences in his character compared to stone cold which is who your comparing him to. But lets also view Punk in a different light. So Punks character is based on a normal guy a guy i could go find at a bar(not drinking) with his buddy. A guy like a lot of us that can't leave his job it pays to well or the economy sucks, whatever reason he can't leave. Now where Punk defers from the rest of us is that he's in the WWE and they can build a storyline with him arguing and fighting with his boss (something I've actually done).

John plays a guy in a suit. A guy that for the most part does things by the book he can't understand why his employee would hate him. Eventually he starts to let his anger slip which is where we are now.

Now could CM Punk take Johnny Ace in a legit fight. I don't know i've seen some scrappy little guys. I'm by know means built I'm 5'11" I've kicked my cousins ass in a legit fight and he's 6'4" and like 320lbs. So to say who can take who just by the looks it's anyones guess. Whoever is more motivated will win.

So is Punks character believable yeah.

He's an anyguy wanting to take on his boss. Will he win. He may beat him in a fight. But the next day he's gotta go back in to work tail between his legs or find a new job.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
When you start saying that Punk is failing to be Austin... Then you're failing to see the point.

Austin character was that of a drunken brawler who had a distaste for all authority. Punk is more of a cult figure who uses words to rally people by his side against certain people in authority who he deems unworthy. Austin wants to drink and fight, Punk wants to be the best wrestler. The only similarity between the two is that Punk and Austin both say and do the kind of things that every man dreams of doing to their boss.

This past week was easily the best of the Punk/Lauranitis exchanges, Johnny now has some actual depth to his character. I like how the shit he does to the babyfaces is less because he is an asshole but more out of jealousy, and rewards the heels for catering to his ego and sucking up in the same manner that he would to his own superiors.

rhetts jetski

Reaction score
CM Punk is more believable than Stone Cold Steve Austin ever was and this is coming from someone who isn't a major Punk fan. His promos are more believable, his intentions are more believable and hell, if you want to get into semantics; his in-ring style is more believable and less sequential. I'm not sure why people have this habit of comparing current day stars to those of the past, it's not good for anyone.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Yeah but Cody is taller...

Reactions: 1 person

Chadillac

Reaction score
CM Punk is more believable than Stone Cold Steve Austin ever was and this is coming from someone who isn't a major Punk fan. His promos are more believable, his intentions are more believable and hell, if you want to get into semantics; his in-ring style is more believable and less sequential. I'm not sure why people have this habit of comparing current day stars to those of the past, it's not good for anyone.

Let me lay some historical facts out for you buddy:

-Austin era = 7% of house holds watching
-14,000 Attendance average
-1.3 PPV BR Ave.

-Punk era = 3% of house holds watching
-4,900 Attenance average
- .6 PPV BR Ave.

Now it looks like to me, the OBJECTIVE FACTS make you look pretty silly. But I can not prove you wrong on subjective grounds.

Nobody will EVER live up to the AE, but that does not mean the WWE should just "settle" for whatever. I know things are not fully in-place yet with the rising stars, Cody and Dolph, about to take off in 2012.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
What the hell :lol: What he said had nothing to do with what you just put. He didn't or no one didn't compare drawing power and no one compared this era to the attitude era only you did that. The point of his post and the rest of the post in here was to NOT compare the two cause it made no sense.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Is it just me or does John Laurenitis look like he could beat the hell out of Punk in real life? I know it's all about suspending your dis-belief, but for some reason Punk just doesn't fit the whole "bad ass" montra vey well.

They are not making punk out to be a badass are they, if so i most of been watching the wrong WWE.

Now SCSA was totally believable and I could buy him clearing out every man in the ring. He is the best bad-ass to ever play that role. Will Punk ever be Austin? Hell No... No pun intended.

We ALL know punk will never be austin, i don't remember Punk every clearing out every man in the ring, or wwe saying hes the next austin if so please show me the footage.

Maybe it's because he has to wear those "Jericho" style boots that give him a 3 or 4 inch lift. Or maybe it is because he has no real muscle. He reminds me alot of Jericho in build and jujst doesn't quite fit the bill on the way they are trying to book him.

The are called kickpads not Jericho" style boots, Jericho did not invent them. And yet again i don't think they are booking him to be a badass and another thing i'm glad punk is not full of muscles and he looks the way he does cause the WWE would be boring if everyone looked the same.

I mean, Cody Rhodes is 6'2" and I know that as fact B/C I'm 6'2" and when I saw him at ring-side, we were Eye-To-Eye. When I saw Punk, I was in shock at how small he was.

No idea what this has to do with wwe booking punk as a badass, and punk is 6'1" so lol @ this.

It's just something about it I just cant buy. But I do find him very good at what he does and the JL-Punk angle it's self is very refreshing and entertaining. Good Stuff.

This last bit cracks me up, you don't buy Punk beating up Ace, But you find him very good at what he does, what wrestle guys that are bigger then him or talk on the mic.

AND YOU COMPAIR THE NUMBERS BETWEEN AUSTIN AND PUNK, WRESTLING IS NOT POPULAR ANYMORE, PEOPLE GROW UP AND STOP LIKING THE THINGS THAT THEY ENJOYED WHEN THEY WERE A KID YOU KNOW.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm still mindfucked how the hell drawing power had a single bit to do with this topic. No one has ever been dumb enough to compare anyone from this era to Austin in that manor as it's pointless.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
lol @ him saying the should not settle for whatever. I'm pretty sure he would not say that if Cody was world champ.

BreakTheWalls

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels2
To add onto what everyone else has said, Punk's credibility as a competitor is based on two things; his martial arts knowledge and his tenacity. Martial arts can definitely be an equalizer for someone who's fighting someone bigger than them, and you said it yourself; we're supposed to suspend our disbelief.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Punk is 6'1" on the 4 inch lifts, just like Kane goes from 6'7" to 6'11" on his lifts. Punk is 5'9" in real life and about 195 lbs. I have shook the man's hand at signing ceremonies here in Dallas when he is in regular shoes. I am 6'2" 212lbs, and I had to look down to make eye contact. I have been next to Cody when he would round the ring-side, wearing his regular dress shoes, and we were eye to eye.

The only people who wear those type boots that Jericho and Punk wear, are trying to make up for the fact that they are 5'9", and need them to look credible as heavyweights.

I am not a Punk hater. He is the best Raw has to offer hands down. But something about him, in his attempt at the physical taunting of JL, makes me say, "What ever". But everything else about him is great.

And now that the numbers are out there, please to EVER SAY more people find Punk entertaining over Austin B/C the numbers make you look silly. Just say "In My Opinion". Then I won't throw numbers out.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
What does numbers have to do with people's personally feelings on who they find more entertaining? Good amount of People find Jericho more entertaining than Hogan for example yet Hogan is one of the biggest draws in wrestling history. You don't have to put "imo" because since you're saying it it's obviously your own opinion.

I wouldn't care if you were a Punk hater. If you don't like him, find others better w/e idc it's how you feel. But at least stay on topic on your own topic and not throw out random shit like oh Austin is one of the biggest draws in wrestling history so you're not allowed to find Punk or anyone else more entertaining it's Blue. Your topic is Punk's character believable so stick to that and not ignore people's reasons they gave as to why it is and why you have his character wrong apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.