Is Christian equal to Matt Hardy?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mat Awesome

Reaction score
Watching Christian losing the ECW Title tonight made me think back about a year ago when Matt Hardy lost HIS ECW Championship to Jack Swagger. Even though was already an established jobber seeking some championship time, he went right back to a jobber after he lost.

On to Christian. Christian's background in WWE, is like Matt Hardy's. They both usually job in WWE. If you recall, Christian was basically a jobber before he went to TNA. Will he go back to that jobber status as Matt Hardy did? Or will he enter any feud for a world title? I highly doubt he will EVER win a world title, but it's a possibility. I think he may enter some midcard title feud and job a little.

Thoughts?

Ed_cena

Reaction score
I hope he doesnt become a jobber, Damn Christian is one of my favs wrestlers he has the talent and charisma, he is over. I heard he is goin to smack down, He can feud wit drew for the ic title at wrestlemania or have a feud wit cm punk, anyway hope he doesnt get buried.

seX-Power

Christian vs CM Punk at Wrestlemania, or Christian winning MITB at Wrestlemania. Would settle for either.

noumenon

I'm not going to argue with the parallels... however I think Christian is head and shoulders above Matt Hardy in just about every way. Another thing to consider is that it wasn't losing the ECW title that screwed Matt over, it was the ridiculous series of events that followed it. He turned heel on Jeff almost immediately after losing the title. Initially it almost seemed as if Matt was poised to maybe finally break through into the main event in that little heel run. However, the injury and RIDICULOUS face turn completely fucked him over.
Christian is probably one of the most over guys in the entire company right now, so it's going to be pretty hard for Vince to deny that. I am however really pissed at the decision to take the title off of him at the last minute. It was completely pointless and almost like a slap in the face to Christian and ECW in general. The guy carried the entire brand and was pretty much the only reason to watch the show, not allowing him to retire the title was a fucking disgrace.

I'm going to stay optimistic for Christian right now, especially if he heads over to Smackdown. There's a lot for him to do over there and it's obviously his best chance to break through and finally make it to the main event.
His little promo on ECW being a "demotion" was also extremely well done.

LKP

No he is not. He is better, much better in every way.

xtremebadass

On the WWE ladder Christian is mile above Matt Hardy. Matt Hardy is at the very last rung if on the ladder at all. I am surprised he still has a job right now.

I would not start over reacting until Christian gets paired with the likes of say, the Great Khali.

LKP

^^^ Kind of a good point.

Only thing Matt hardy can do now is a silly i love you storyline with maria. Then after wm 26 and head to tna would be the best thing to go and do.
Christian should be main eventing smackdown, tagging up with edge now and again. Maybe the odd title shot here and there.

xtremebadass

I am disgusted by what WWE has done with Matt Hardy. He had a great heel turn going then WWE just changed their mind and made him save Jeff from Punk. Jeff left and Matt had nothing. All of a sudden he is part of the "good time boys" with Khali. Matt still has some gas in the tank, he might not be as agile as he used to, but I bet he can still put on good matches if given good opponents.

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with the parallels... however I think Christian is head and shoulders above Matt Hardy in just about every way. Another thing to consider is that it wasn't losing the ECW title that screwed Matt over, it was the ridiculous series of events that followed it. He turned heel on Jeff almost immediately after losing the title. Initially it almost seemed as if Matt was poised to maybe finally break through into the main event in that little heel run. However, the injury and RIDICULOUS face turn completely fucked him over.
Christian is probably one of the most over guys in the entire company right now, so it's going to be pretty hard for Vince to deny that. I am however really pissed at the decision to take the title off of him at the last minute. It was completely pointless and almost like a slap in the face to Christian and ECW in general. The guy carried the entire brand and was pretty much the only reason to watch the show, not allowing him to retire the title was a fucking disgrace.

I'm going to stay optimistic for Christian right now, especially if he heads over to Smackdown. There's a lot for him to do over there and it's obviously his best chance to break through and finally make it to the main event.
His little promo on ECW being a "demotion" was also extremely well done.

If Matt Hardy had been the one to leave the WWE, would he have had what it takes to become a Main Eventer like Christian became in TNA? No.

And I like Matt Hardy. He has been handed some pretty bad deals. But I am not going to delude myself into thinking that he is star material the way Christian is. Hell, I doubted Christian had what it took back in the days of The Brood. It wasn't until later that I actually began believing in him.

When the Hardy Boyz and Edge & Christian disbanded, that was the sink or swim moment. Everyone knew Edge and Jeff, the two most popular (actual TALENT arguable point here, but not popularity) would be fine. But the other two I don't think anyone had any hope for. Christian knew this and took off where he could have a fresh start and became the leading entertainer of that company. There is no denying, that even though he held the ECW Championship, he has been held back since his return to the WWE. Matt Hardy has been given the same opportunities that Christian has gotten since his return, and a lot more pushes and has not been able to capitalize on it and capture crowd interest the way Christian has. So no Christian is not equal, he is superior.

No he is not. He is better, much better in every way.

^ This.

On the WWE ladder Christian is mile above Matt Hardy. Matt Hardy is at the very last rung if on the ladder at all. I am surprised he still has a job right now.

I would not start over reacting until Christian gets paired with the likes of say, the Great Khali.

I actually thought Matt looked ten times better last time I saw him (2 weeks or so ago) then the PREVIOUS time I saw him a few months back. The man is a solid mid-card wrestler.

And bite your tongue! As much as being swept under ECW's rug and losing that title last night has been a slap in the face of Christian, I don't think that anyone believes that being paired up, not even with just Khali, but anybody would not be in Christian's best interest. I'm sure he neither wants or needs to be shoved back into the tag team box. He worked damn hard to get out of the shadow of that.

Great One

Christian was WAY higher than Matt when he left. I don't think Matt's even been given a title shot in his life. Matt use to be just as good in the ring though, I'm sure many of you won't remember, but Matt got some amazing matches out of people when he returned and like in 07ish. It seems like he's stopped trying/caring now, so idk. Also, if Matt went to TNA instead of Christian, he woulda probably been a main eventer as well, although obviously not as good as Christian or have as long of a lasting effect as Christian. Overall, Christian is hands down better, but they both deserve better.

xtremebadass

I would give anything to have Matt Hardy Version 1.0 back. That was one of the coolest gimmicks I still have ever seen in wrestling. Hard to believe Matt went from that to where he is now.

Christian will be a solid upper mid card talent on Smackdown. This close to Mania I don't see him being main event unless they play him up as a big name longest reigning ECW champ, that would be the only way. Still either upper mid card or main event status, he is still ending up in MITB. Maybe he could win and cash in on Edge that would be cool. Christian heel turn on Edge taking the belt would be sweet.

noumenon

If Matt Hardy had been the one to leave the WWE, would he have had what it takes to become a Main Eventer like Christian became in TNA? No.

Of course he would have. Christian wasn't ready for any main event when he initially left WWE either. TNA simply thrust him into that position because he was an ex-WWE superstar. If you don't think they would have done the same with Matt you're out of your mind. The only question is if Matt would have been able to hone himself as well as Christian did when given said opportunity.

straight_edge76

I agree on the V1 statement XBA made.

Honestly I cannot see Christan getting the Matt Hardy by the WWE. He is one of their most over guys, he is at the level of guys like The Miz imo; the guys who are by all means above the usual mid-card clusterfuck but not quite yet ready for a major main event program. I think the best thing for him would be go over to SD and feud with either Drew for the IC title (which is at about the same level as the ECW title tbh) or get straight into a upper-mid card level feud with a guy like CM Punk to help elevate himself and re-elevate Punk back into the Main event after Mania. A Punk/Christan Mania match would totally OWN.

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
Christian was WAY higher than Matt when he left. I don't think Matt's even been given a title shot in his life. Matt use to be just as good in the ring though, I'm sure many of you won't remember, but Matt got some amazing matches out of people when he returned and like in 07ish. It seems like he's stopped trying/caring now, so idk. Also, if Matt went to TNA instead of Christian, he woulda probably been a main eventer as well, although obviously not as good as Christian or have as long of a lasting effect as Christian. Overall, Christian is hands down better, but they both deserve better.

Besides the ECW championship right? And like I said he is solid in the ring. Main Event status though? Maybe. But I think it is too late in the game now and we may never know.

So you would rate Matt Hardy up there with Christian, Angle, etc in terms of success they would (or have) had in TNA?

I would give anything to have Matt Hardy Version 1.0 back. That was one of the coolest gimmicks I still have ever seen in wrestling. Hard to believe Matt went from that to where he is now.

Christian will be a solid upper mid card talent on Smackdown. This close to Mania I don't see him being main event unless they play him up as a big name longest reigning ECW champ, that would be the only way. Still either upper mid card or main event status, he is still ending up in MITB. Maybe he could win and cash in on Edge that would be cool. Christian heel turn on Edge taking the belt would be sweet.

Loved the V1 gimmick too.

How much longer do you think that Christian is going to be held down? Or will it ever end?

I personally don't want to see Edge and Christian anywhere near each other unless it is totally unavoidable. Next thing you know, they will be having reunited matches the same way they did with the Hardyz and the BOD. And nobody wants to see that. It's a giant step in the wrong direction.

noumenon

Edge turning face scares me for that exact reason. I'm praying for Edge to head to RAW after Mania to keep that from happening. Give Christian at least a year on Smackdown and see what he can do and how far he can get himself over. If nothing happens...then do E&C.