Is 90's wrestling better

• Thread starter THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps
  • Start date
  • Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

was the attitude era really that much better? in my opinion we have many great workers in the world today, and yet people overlook them because of some stupid storylines. there have been some really good storylines this decade to. so im just wondering why people think the attitude era was so much better

Kaedon

Reaction score
Depends what 90s you mean. If you mean STRICTLY the attitude era than yes because not many people in the midcard were that good. But the early 90s, shit was too slow paced for people today, theyd get bored too fast.

i think the quality of wrestling is just as good today. the early 90's were well shit, and the attitude era was full of great storylines, but in terms of wrestling today isnt far off

edgehead09

Reaction score
yea 90's wrestling was very slow-paced...now i am only 16 so i grew up in the attitude era. However my late grandfather would tape all the old wrestling PPVs and he gave them all to me when he passed...so now i have like a video shelf od just old wrestling PPVs and i can honestly say that i can set and watch a 90's tape to watch some real wrestling...another thing...the commentators..have to love Bobby "the Brain/Weasal" Heenan

The Leviathan

Reaction score
I am a 90's Wrestling fan so I have a biased answer and its yes. 90's is great because of their storylines from Hogan era to the Attitude era. Yeah, the matches were not that great compared to today but the fans adds it up. Look at the Hogan/Ultimate Warrior Match at Wrestlemania 6, there are so many better matches that can be compared to this match but when you see the roaring crowd of the Sky Dome that makes me thrill when I was a kid.

i agree that commentators suck now, especially now jbl doesnt anymore. but you cant tell me mid-carders like razor ramon are better then mvp

edgehead09

Reaction score
no but i can tell you that mid-carders like Shawn Michaels are better than MVP...i can say that tag teams like The rockers, demolition, Hart foundation, Orient Express, ARE better than any tag team this day and age..except maybe hardys but they dont really count. The way that the storylines happened in the 90s was awesome..i mean who will forget Shawn turning on Jennetty, flying solo and becoming the icon that he is today.....the early 90's developed stars, as well as the attitude era, but the Entertainment era is like WCW, surving on post-peak superstars IMO

i know but this decade tna have had a great tag team division. i think some of the problem with today is that wwe push the wrong talent from ovw, they have to be muscleheads most of the time

edgehead09

Reaction score
yes that is true....Muscleheads should jsut be used as the number 30 entrant in the rumble just for the winner to throw them out and make that person look good for throwing out a big man....ex...warlord, hercurles, adom bomb

The Leviathan

Reaction score
The only thing I hate about the 90's is some their gimmicks like The Warlord, Barbarian, Gobbelydogooker (correct me if I am wrong), Doink the Clown, Headbangers, the Godwinns. They give them different gimmicks but sadly, no one happens to their careers, they can't have a great storyline/fued due to their gimmicks.

edgehead09

Reaction score
yea but we also see that in this day with John Cena...the man can wrestle just his gimmick wont let him adn also Santino

Lucid

Reaction score
The 90s wrestling attitude era was alot better especially the original ECW.

Montana

If your looking strictly at "wrestling" from 1990 to 1999, im not sure i'd say the wrestling was better.

BUT

The wwe put more emphasis on having better matches, than they do today. Certainly over time, the wwe introduces more moves and whatnot, but comparing the eras the 90's had better wrestling respectably. Today its really more about the entertainment factor. Back when Hogan left, they tried to go back to the basics with Bret Hart and HBK. It didnt produce booming business, but the wrestling was great in certain matchups. They did their only 5 stars matches in the mid 90's. When the attitude era rolled around i'd say the wrestling was decent, similar to it is today, BUT the early mid 90's for that era was really good.

Also throughout the 90's the tag and IC belts meant something. More so, earlier in the 90s, but the value stayed throughout the decade. I think thats another important factor, that really adds to the match while your watching. Perhaps not so much on a old tape, BUT if you were watching during that era, it meant more. Both division were more competitive.

So to answer your question, i think the attitude eras wrestling is similar to todays, BUT early 90's was better for that time.

hbkfan!

Reaction score
I think 90-94 was the best. But 2008 is better.