Indy guys aren't cutting it for Hunter

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
While some of the best talents in FCW (Seth Rollins, Antonio Cesaro, Kassius Ohno, Dean Ambrose) came from the independent scene, there is a belief that the indy scene is not producing enough talent with WWE potential.

That belief along with Triple H building his management team with people experienced in other sports gives you an idea of his direction with developmental. They are going with the idea that signing top level athletes and teaching them to be wrestlers will develop the kind of marquee guys that can be Superstars.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Reaction score
^^^And Triple H is right to believe that; Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar,Goldberg in the modern Era. Ernie Ladd, Vader, Luger, the millions of guys that went to West Texas to play football but became wrestlers, Steve Williams and so on and I'm probably missing a lot of other big names. They have the size, the attitude necessary to succeed and are used to participating in front of large crowds.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
JBL and The Rock were both college football stars as well.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
I don't recall any recent indy star who had a background in football. Most of these guys were just fans turned indy stars. Is there any indy star, right now, that's Luger size? HHH size? That could potentially step inside a WWE ring?

They need to start recruiting at Venice beach, that's where Sting was found.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Can't think of any big guys in the indies muscular-wise. There are lot of chubbies out there though.

Reaction score
Since when did big, muscular and athletic equal charisma and star power? You can't teach some musclehead how to be charismatic and connect with an audience. That's something you either have or you don't. And honestly the only really larger (at least compared to the average indy wrestler geek) wrestler still on the indy circuit who actually looks muscular and not like a total fat fuck is Michael Elgin (who is a goddamn beast by the way).

Reaction score
Since when did big, muscular and athletic equal charisma and star power? You can't teach some musclehead how to be charismatic and connect with an audience. That's something you either have or you don't. And honestly the only really larger (at least compared to the average indy wrestler geek) wrestler still on the indy circuit who actually looks muscular and not like a total fat fuck is Michael Elgin (who is a goddamn beast by the way).

Replace "big, muscular and athletic" with "repetitive, twiggy, kayfabe killing repertoire" and that statement still holds true. Only difference is that "big, muscular and athletic" has been the norm and where the money has been for the past thirty years. You may be mistaken that guys like Hero connect with the audience, but you have to take into inventory the audience he connects with. The indy audience isn't profitable, the mainstream is. And before you argue that Bryan and Punk are the top guys, they are still twigs compared to "smaller", legit, proven stars of the past like HBK, Savage, Steamer and Flair. And if you look at Punk and Bryan, they are more tan and buff than they ever were. Why? Because "big, muscular and athletic" is what draws for a company that really relies on the name value of the company to draw these days to begin with.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
I disagree, Enzo. What "draws" in the mainstream is whoever and whatever WWE wants to. Unfortunately, that sort of fucked up thinking and oversaturation of jacked up guys is a big part of what's led them to the state they're in now.

Now I think similarly to Enzo that your ROH, CHIKARA style worker sucks, and there's good reasons companies like that don't jump up to "primetime" status. However, in the end I think having more than one or two big guys or unnaturally tanned guys or too many guys with tattoos or too many guys who wear trunks hurt their entire roster and can have dramatic effects up & down the promotion. The WWE's roster is just a mess right now and if someone's coming out and trying to say that your tan-level has anything...and I mean ANYTHING to do with a wrestler's popularity, i'll call bullshit all day.

Bottom-line, WWE's bigwigs are out of touch and that's why their company hasn't grown in 7 years, and it won't in 7 more if this is their philosophy.

Reaction score
Two things, I never said Bryan and Punk are tanned because that's what draws. They are tanned and buffed out because that's the look the WWE insists upon. We are kind of splitting hairs but are somewhat on the same stance. And I do believe there should be diversity in body image on the roster. Sheamus is a good thing, I loved Husky Harris, not because he was a pretty good wrestler, but also because he was different, Tensai too.

As far as the company growing...it has and it hasn't. House numbers are down, BUT DVD numbers are sky high, their movie studio is hugely profitable because, like it or not, it is actually managed properly. They make B films and shoot them straight to DVD. So, while the product is stagnant, but as an Entertainment company, WWE is growing and their website and social media marketing are HUGE successes. Again, that's not a "how you feel about their product or movies or friggin Twitter pimpin" it's a fact of "they are selling MASSES of DVDs, wrestling and movies and they are amongst the most popular social media and online hubs going" fact so, there you go.

...god...

Reaction score
Bryan is tanned? ROFLMAO. Neither of em are tanned or buff, though they're in great shape and athletically built.

[yt]_7A0SfjIAsU[/yt]

Great vid, I have no problem having guys like this. Guys from the indies are usually the more passionate ones but sometimes they lack the ability to know how to differentiate themselves, personality or look wise. The football player mentality has actually been proven true, statistically wise, but I don't think there's any difference. The passion plays a big impression there, and you have your set of guys who couldn't cut it because they couldn't handle the schedule, didn't have the desire, etc. the Goldberg's, and Brock's, and Lashley's. It's just the safer route, since your everyday fan will react to a talentless/personalityless jacked, roided up dude over a talentless/personalityless skinnier dude. Either way, you'll get shits. But every once in a while you'll get lucky and come across a Rock or an Austin or an HHH who has a football or bodybuilder background and build, so he's big, BUT is also passionate and talented about the sport. OR, a CM Punk, a Bryan, a Benoit, Guerrero, etc. who are/were smaller but just so damn good and passionate that they made it anyway.

Reaction score
danielson_medium.jpg

whc_daniel_bryan_by_windows8osx-d4jmgpp_original.jpg

ROFLMFAObecauseG1isretarded. Dude is tanned and getting darker. Also packing on mass. Why? Because the mainstream commands it.

As for Punk....

c0a9213ebc9ea83e831d079b7f1c9bce.jpg

And now...

WWE-CM-Punk-New-Leader-of-Nexus.jpg

You're going to sit there and tell me they aren't getting buffer nor tanned? And the Rock isn't juicing...rightttttttt.

...god...

Reaction score
damn you're a butt hurt spic, and no they don't like tan at all and he looks way whiter in that video I JUST sent. And I never said they aren't BUFFER, I said they aren't buff, nothing compared to the juicers of the 90's, including the one you splooge for, HBK. But HBK is the same mold as those dudes, the only difference was he's lucky to have lived it all before and was able to be really tiny because he was already so established in this era.

Reaction score
Missed you too, you colorblind sand slinging explosive device. It's not butt hurt when the pictures obviously show them tanner. You're fucking high or bombs have blown up in your face too many times to tell the difference, either way your a moron to try and tell me what I'm looking at. Bryan looks like friggin Powder in that first picture and almost darker than me in the second picture.

And HBK might have juiced, but no where near as much as the men you fantasize about sandwiching you; Trips and Rock, are juicing now.

...god...

Reaction score
First of all, I was high; second of all fuck you I can see, I had LASIK; third of all, what would you say if I told you I met Bryan in person and he's actually very white and the picture is photoshopped? K, I'm loling too hard to finish this post but I did miss you and you get so angry when I type LOL or ROFL at your posts that I have to keep doing it because you take it so offensive when I was just in actuality laughing at the thought of Bryan being tan.

Reaction score
Firsty, I didn't get butt hurt. Haven't insulted you in so long, I had to so we can both point the butthurt fingers at eachother. And what if I told you I saw Daniel Bryan in person3 times before he made it to the E and twice since he's been in the E and he is tanning? Eat my asshole you sub Saharan rat bastard. Get on MSN.