If Punk wasn't a main eventer, would his attitude actually be praised by the IWC?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score
Totally agree with the OP, but I'm a little late to the thread. :sad:

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
This is a bit off-topic, but I sometimes don't get the hate that Punk gets.

It's like the same thing going on with Bryan and people just pull an excuse out of their ass to hate them just because they became popular. That being said, I disliked Punk for a while. And that's because of the shitty Paul Heyman program he was put in and his matches haven't interested me since his WWE Championship reign ended. His mic work became a bit cringe worthy and his in-ring work was sloppy. Face it, most people who say they hate him are hipsters. They look at him now and are not impressed, but they were when they initially watched his shoot promo in 2011 and before that. (Most people)

And they deny his good promos, only for the fact that they dislike him because he's risen to the top. I can dislike Ryback as much as I want, but I won't say his tag team match with Team Hell NO Vs. The Shield was bad. But then there are people, who are like the 2011 shoot promo was shit, pipebomb, bad worker, etc.

I just find it funny that they think he has shit promos, when almost all of us were going ape shit when it originally happened.

lol, open your eyes. #Delusional
BEST IN THE WORLD
Even though I seriously doubt any of this is pointed at me, I'll admit the worked shoot was a cool promo, but that was more WWE letting him cut that than anything he did. If WWE sent JTG to the ramp to cut a promo breaking kayfabe and throwing out lines that the IWC is going to eat up it still would have been cool to see.

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
He is outspoken in the same vein as Davey Richards and Austin Aries. Your bound to piss people off if you have your head up your ass,got nothing to do with midcard,main event etc. Also I was not watching much of wwe in his last 6 months of his run but I was reading threads on here and elsewhere saying he was just phoning it in. So that must be something as well.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Even though I seriously doubt any of this is pointed at me, I'll admit the worked shoot was a cool promo, but that was more WWE letting him cut that than anything he did. If WWE sent JTG to the ramp to cut a promo breaking kayfabe and throwing out lines that the IWC is going to eat up it still would have been cool to see.
I couldn't disagree with this more. Even the most fickle of Punk haters can't possibly take anything away from that promo.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree with this more. Even the most fickle of Punk haters can't possibly take anything away from that promo.
I'm not saying he didn't do it well, but plenty of other guys, JTG probably excluded, could knock that promo out of the park if it were set up on a tee like that. He took advantage, but you can't deny he was given a massive platform that 99.9999% of wrestlers will never be given.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
He was given a chance to use better content, but that doesn't take anything away from his delivery and just pure skill, because how many were immediately fooled after that promo? A lot. Sure, other incredible mic workers like the Jericho's, Ambrose's, Wyatt's, Cena's, and even Christian's could have done incredibly well too; but again that shouldn't take anything away from Punk.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
I'm not saying he didn't do it well, but plenty of other guys, JTG probably excluded, could knock that promo out of the park if it were set up on a tee like that. He took advantage, but you can't deny he was given a massive platform that 99.9999% of wrestlers will never be given.
But isn't making most with the opportunities you were given what pro-wrestling is all about? I mean, I can't think of a lot of guys(if any at all) among the greats who did not need a whole lot of luck to be where they are. Shawn michaels was given the opportunity to make a Faction and have great Rivalries, Triple H had the chance to work with shawn michaels. The rock got a much needed character change, so did stone cold steve austin, it could have been anyone, it just so happens that they had the best opportunities and the Hability to make them worth it.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
But isn't making most with the opportunities you were given what pro-wrestling is all about? I mean, I can't think of a lot of guys(if any at all) among the greats who did not need a whole lot of luck to be where they are. Shawn michaels was given the opportunity to make a Faction and have great Rivalries, Triple H had the chance to work with shawn michaels. The rock got a much needed character change, so did stone cold steve austin, it could have been anyone, it just so happens that they had the best opportunities and the Hability to make them worth it.
You can't compare being given a gimmick change or forming a stable to what Punk was given lmao. He was told here ya go, go shoot on the company and play to smarks who will lick your ass because you can say what they want to say. He was given an attitude-era mic in the midst of a deadball garbage era. He was given a gun when everyone else at that time had plastic spoons to fight with. Yea, it was a good promo. What did he do after that? He got stale and tried to use breaking kayfabe as a crutch and we all got sick of it until they had to call Big Sexy in to bury his ass.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
You can't compare being given a gimmick change or forming a stable to what Punk was given lmao. He was told here ya go, go shoot on the company and play to smarks who will lick your ass because you can say what they want to say. He was given an attitude-era mic in the midst of a deadball garbage era. He was given a gun when everyone else at that time had plastic spoons to fight with. Yea, it was a good promo. What did he do after that? He got stale and tried to use breaking kayfabe as a crutch and we all got sick of it until they had to call Big Sexy in to bury his ass.
I can't see much of a difference, really, Trips and Shawn's Dx was something that was never done before, a gimmick that would only fail if done poorly, thankfully they ran with it and made lots of memorable moments. And in all fairness to punk getting stale, until his most recent face run, the IWC AND the regular wwe fans were both almost completely pleased with his performance, now, I am not saying something stupid like "The minority is always wrong", but to be able to have such a Wide range of fans with different perspectives, he had to be doing his job well, right?