If Punk wasn't a main eventer, would his attitude actually be praised by the IWC?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Remember that one time in England when Steve Corino saved Punk from all them transvestites? (apparently happened according to the same shoot)
Nope, apparently Gabe nearly orgasmed after the second match doe. Can't say I blamed him I did too. Apparently Joe / Foley nearly happened too. I'm reading notes from PWTorch at this point. I haven't seen the shoot in ages. Does BHR have it up?

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
If Punk did not have critics/haters back then he would not have taken the time to address/mock them on the straight shootin DVD he did with Samoa Joe for being "sloppy" (seabs knows which clip I am talking about). But he was much more loved before reaching ME status in the E. Damn near universally but I cannot imagine there not being haters/critics before that.

INB4PreWWEDoesNotMatter
Yes he would have. Everyone in the public eye has a portion of negative feedback, that's the society we live in. The thread is 100% based on the IWC, and Punk was never hated within the IWC. The 0.01% does not count, and yes, pre-WWE does not matter. He was the king of the IWC and it wasn't even close. You think Bryan is loved within the IWC right now? Nothing on what Punk was.

Muur

The Artiste
Reaction score
Well former wrestlers, midcarders etc get shat on as soon as they open their mouths so I very highly doubt it.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
don't care about this shitty thread no offense

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Well, I'd just like to start by saying that I still don't buy this story that the guy left because he was mad. Still may be all just a work (I don't really care at this point, but I still find this "leaving" deal weird). Anyway, yeah, his attitude was considered that of a spoiled brat, and in my opinion, it kinda felt like it was because... why did he leave again? Because he wasn't getting the main event spot? I mean, come on. It's not like his work right before leaving was WM ME level (and I'm a fan of the guy usually), and it's not like WWE killed his character or anything. Does he think wrestling HHH at WM is beneath him? Think about it, the guy was probably going to work with Hunter at WM, most likely beat him, and all of that when he was just a generic babyface. If he was crying about that and left because of it, yeah, he was a baby. Now, if he was a midcarder and was actually being held down, then people would probably respect the decision, if he was jobbing and they just didn't let him get over. I really, really have a hard time sympathizing with Punk if he was just "lol HHH is overrated don't want to work with him want main event or I walk" and I also have a hard time seeing him go "DB's spot was stolen by Batista? Lol screw this" and leave. Thus, yes, if he had a legitimate reason to complain he'd be praised.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that you don't care about it, it was the #1 thing I wanted to know when I made this thread.
well you tagged me so I had to say something

TheTNHMaster

George Bush doesn't care about black people.
Reaction score
The main two reasons I didn't like Punk: Shitty heel gimmick (yes, I have and will never like the "Best In The World" gimmick ever) and his WWE title reign. That reign was not good, it was medicore near the start, but when he turned heel, it was shite to me. I don't think any of his heel title defenses ended fairly, off the top of my head.

Also, he was overrated.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
for me Punk isn't spoiled, I am not a Punk mark buts he's a wrestler I like to watch perform, even though he is not my favourite, i thought the feud with undertaker was pretty ballsy and amazing. I think he is a damn good wrestler and great on the mic, and in large part yes, the hatred he receives is quite hipster fueled, but that doesn't mean you're a hipster if you hate Punk.

As for the walkout I think if he does return it will give him a huge push and if he doesn't you just gotta respect his decision, that being said if he did just up and leave I think its a little selfish considering he had only 6-7 months left on his contract, but you never know what happened in that room with Trips, Vince and Punk so its all just speculation and thats all it will be I guess. (sorry if i went a bit off track, haven't had my coffee yet)

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I can keep this so simple. If WWE had dropped Punk after the pipebomb and not blown it up and cashed in, would he have been successful?

No. He is not HBK, and his amazing title run legit WAS done by Bobby Roode better in TNA, I dare someone to disagree with that statement. Sure, i wanted to keep this short so i didnt just point out the obvious reasons people hate on him, but he is not a 1st year HoF WWE material WITHOUT Heyman. He lucked out in many ways, and I won't argue he also paid his dues, but really it's a hipster mark imo who MARKS for the guy, not the ones who hate.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
I can keep this so simple. If WWE had dropped Punk after the pipebomb and not blown it up and cashed in, would he have been successful?

No. He is not HBK, and his amazing title run legit WAS done by Bobby Roode better in TNA, I dare someone to disagree with that statement. Sure, i wanted to keep this short so i didnt just point out the obvious reasons people hate on him, but he is not a 1st year HoF WWE material WITHOUT Heyman. He lucked out in many ways, and I won't argue he also paid his dues, but really it's a hipster mark imo who MARKS for the guy, not the ones who hate.

I dare to disagree. Roode was more of a "new HHH" while Punk had several incarnations to his heel title run (including "new Y2J" and "new HBK"), but he wasn't a "new HHH". I also enjoyed Punk's run more than Roode's run because I'm a bigger fan of Punk than I am of Roode.

Oh, and I've never been called a hipster before, but before you guys I'd never been called a mark before either.

:eek:tunga:

wk

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail in the head with this thread, @Crayo . I feel most of the hate that punk gets is due to him being "overrated", and "not deserving of all the attention he gets". But really, even if you don't like his gimmick, or his promos, or whatever, if you can make an entire audience love you, and basically force the company to give you a push, then you ARE deserving of the said push. One example of that would be Daniel Bryan, I mean, i am not a big fan of his, and there are a lot of guys I would rather be getting the push he got, but the mere fact that he made the majority of the fans love him, and basically forced WWE into putting him in the main-event by popularity alone, I am pretty sure he deserves to be at the top. The other portion of the cm punk haters, I feel are because of his supposedly shitty personality, but that shouldn't be a factor into evaluating his performance at all

edit: Of course, that's only my opinion, I don't want it to be perceived as me thinking I know it all or that I can make a psychological profile of every single cm punk hater out there

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
It's only natural to root for the guy supposedly being held down by the man, ask Daniel Bryan. It's also only natural to hate on guys that aren't, ask Batista.

I'm not going to saying anyone's right or wrong for hating on Punk currently for what he's done, but there's some clear bias's.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
This is a bit off-topic, but I sometimes don't get the hate that Punk gets.

It's like the same thing going on with Bryan and people just pull an excuse out of their ass to hate them just because they became popular. That being said, I disliked Punk for a while. And that's because of the shitty Paul Heyman program he was put in and his matches haven't interested me since his WWE Championship reign ended. His mic work became a bit cringe worthy and his in-ring work was sloppy. Face it, most people who say they hate him are hipsters. They look at him now and are not impressed, but they were when they initially watched his shoot promo in 2011 and before that. (Most people)

And they deny his good promos, only for the fact that they dislike him because he's risen to the top. I can dislike Ryback as much as I want, but I won't say his tag team match with Team Hell NO Vs. The Shield was bad. But then there are people, who are like the 2011 shoot promo was shit, pipebomb, bad worker, etc.

I just find it funny that they think he has shit promos, when almost all of us were going ape shit when it originally happened.

lol, open your eyes. #Delusional
BEST IN THE WORLD

Reactions: Wacokid27