If Jericho loses this Sunday, would he have served his purpose?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Asskicker

Champion
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dolph'sZiggler said:
Hellllllll no. Jericho never had any momentum in the feud. Jericho should have either won the Rumble, which makes him seem like a viable threat, or won the title at EC so Punk had an obstacle to overcome. This feud has been booked piss poor, and has done nothing to further Punk's credibility IMHO

Yeah that's good too but it's reasonable that Jericho should of beaten him at WM after all the mind games.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Jericho winning at Mania would have worked as well. Him winning at ER works for me as well, but I don't think he will. Punk getting the better of Jericho throughout just makes Jericho look weak, it doesn't do anything to give Punk any credibility.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I think the feud was supposed to get some buys from the WM match, not to Punk over. At least that's what it looks like. Jericho always losing and Punk winning against an opponent that resorts only to cheap shots and doesn't seem like a threat doesn't do anything for anyone. For now, the feud is nice to see and all, it has heat, but it feels like sort of a filler.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Leo C said:
I think the feud was supposed to get some buys from the WM match, not to Punk over. At least that's what it looks like. Jericho always losing and Punk winning against an opponent that resorts only to cheap shots and doesn't seem like a threat doesn't do anything for anyone. For now, the feud is nice to see and all, it has heat, but it feels like sort of a filler.
I don't see how Jericho was supposed to bring anymore PPV buys than HHH/Taker III & Rock/Cena already were bringing in. Those two matches were the selling points.

BrockLesnarFanForLife said:
Jericho is around to puit CM Punk over. Thats it hes not gonna win

No shit sherlock. The idea of putting someone over is that the person being put over should come out of the feud with more credibility than they went into it with, and I feel the way the feud was booked has not allowed for Punk to gain any credibility and thus Jericho has not served his purpose. Had they ever allowed for Jericho to gain some actual traction by winning anything leading up to Mania outside of that gay ass battle royal, let him win at Mania, or let him win at ER and thus making him feel like a legitimate threat to Punk, then when Punk eventually overcomes him it feels like an accomplishment, whereas Jericho losing the Rumble, getting KO'd by Punk at EC, and losing back to back one on one matches at Mania and ER does not make him seem like a credible threat, thus Punk's time has effectively been wasted.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
You've got a point, it wasn't the big selling point. It was more of a dream match for some, so... I think that even if people had already decided to buy for Rock/Cena or HHH/Taker, it's a match they wanted to see.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Seabs said:
It was an IWC dream match but a lot of that group would have streamed it imo.

Yes, that's sort of what I meant. People wanted to see it, but it wasn't for that match they were paying for... and if they weren't paying at all, well, they're still not paying for the match :laugh:

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
If the feud ended at 'Mania, would it have felt more impactful and put Punk over better?

Reaction score
No. I thought he'd win on other PPVs by now but still hasn't. He needs to win.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Draine said:
If the feud ended at 'Mania, would it have felt more impactful and put Punk over better?

Not with the way it was booked. Had Jericho taken Punk's belt in the EC and then Punk recaptured it at Mania ending the feud that would have been perfect.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Nothing against Jericho or anything, but as someone else mentioned he's not the usual star who can just come in and build someone into a (bigger) star. People don't view him as that kind of a star, probably because WWE never got behind pushing him as a serious, long-term main eventer and so people don't view him that way (perception is reality in wrestling.) I also think his size held him back a little.

So, as others have stated, he should have some sort of big win in there somewhere to gain some type of momentum. Rumble/Elimination Chamber/Wrestlemania victory, whichever. I vote for the Rumble. I figured the reason his comeback was that soon was because they are preparing him to win the Rumble, otherwise why bring him back that soon? I wouldn't have gone for EC or WM, because I like the idea of Punk having the title for awhile and wouldn't want to end it just to give it right back to him. It would have also been cool to finally see him win a Rumble, even though he didn't 'need' it (similar to Undertaker in 2007.)

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
He came back saying he was gonna change the world but so far hasn't his feud with Punk is good but they should have let Jericho hold the title as stated and then Punk win it back as that would have made a huge difference, As it is it's just Jericho giving Punk grief week in week out and yes it's epic but serving no purpose really apart from making Jericho look jealous of Punk, but it's not puttin Punk over. This could have been so much more!

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Cloud said:
He came back saying he was gonna change the world but so far hasn't his feud with Punk is good but they should have let Jericho hold the title as stated and then Punk win it back as that would have made a huge difference, As it is it's just Jericho giving Punk grief week in week out and yes it's epic but serving no purpose really apart from making Jericho look jealous of Punk, but it's not puttin Punk over. This could have been so much more!

I still remember watching EC. I had originally bet on Punk then changed it to Jericho thinking it would be the only reasonable way to have them fight at WM (I still think it was), then when they did the Punk kicked Jericho out of the chamber thing I was cursing and telling creative to go to hell or something. Stupid decision.