How long will John Cena spend on the shelf?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

y2j__legend

Reaction score
John Cena is scheduled to be examined by Dr. Lloyd Youngblood in San Antonio later in the week. Youngblood has performed neck surgery on a number of past and present WWE stars including "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Edge, Amy "Lita" Dumas, Scotty 2 Hotty, Chris Benoit, Rhyno, and Gregory Helms. If past history is any indication, it definitely looks like Cena is going to be out of action for a very, very long time.

Austin's neck injury put him out of the ring for ten months from November 1999 to September 2000. Edge's neck injury put him on the sidelines from February 2003 to February 2004 (he was scheduled to return in February of that year, but he broke his hand and didn't return until a month later). Lita's neck injury put her out of the ring for very long time as well. While filming a fight scene for a role in the season finale of the television program Dark Angel, the stunt double Dumas was working with dropped her as she swung through a hurricanrana, causing her to land on her neck and shoulders. The injury put her out of action for seventeen months - from April 2002 to September 2003. Scotty 2 Hotty's neck injury put him out of action for seventeen months as well - from May 2002 to October 2003. Chris Benoit's neck injury put him out of action for a little more than a year - from June 2001 to July 2002. Rhyno's neck injury put him out of the ring for sixteen months - from October 2001 to February 2003. And then of course there is Gregory Helms, who has been out of action for over sixteen months and counting. Helms' neck injury has sidelined him since a few weeks after WrestleMania 23.

Cena's injury was described as a herniated disc tonight on Raw and on the company website. However, the belief is that the injury is severely worse. WWE's obviously hoping for the best when Cena visits Dr. Youngblood later this week.

Cena is scheduled to see doctors tomorrow morning with neurosurgeon Dr. Joseph Maroon at the University of Pittsburgh. He will then fly to San Antonio on Wednesday to be examined by Youngblood and we should know about the severity of the injury by then.

Credit: lordsofpain.net

WCW Rules

Reaction score
Sucks for him. I have no idea how long, but I hope it's not too long, seeing as he, Batista, Punk, Marella, and Jericho are the only reasons I watch RAW, really. I hope he recovers and I wish him a speedy recovery; unfortunately it's all we can do.

Moonlight Drive

Damn, this is bad. I'm going to have to endure more Batista PPV Main Events :/

But at least it happened when Orton was set to return. It would've been shitty if both left around the same time. I have a feeling Cena will be out for at least a year, with my shitty medical knowledge a herniated disc is a pretty serious injury.

Sgt Xtreme

Reaction score
Taz has a pretty bad neck injury in the original ECW. Where I believe he was out for about nine-ten months.

So this injury could be a good or a bad thing for Cena. He can be lucky and it'll be less than a year. Or be on the road Gregory Helms is currently on. However, I'm still hoping he returns as a heel. I really want to see a heel Cena back in the game.

TakeshiXkun

Reaction score
he will prob be back after a few months if his injuries are bad and will still be good and famous lol.

the-gaffer

Reaction score
I am not to fussed with this latest injury, I think almost everyone was practically counting on the day Cena got handed the gold again so hopefully that puts that idea on the back-burner, by the time he returns it will probably be around 18 months since he was a world champion, and being away for such a long time could do wonders for his character, It would possibly give him a chance to return as a heel.

Batista is on the biggest push since early 2005 and Kane has finally been given a main event storyline which looks very watchable, Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho are about to conclude there feud so hopefully both will be elevated to the main event seen after Unforgiven and with Orton possibly back soon and a chance that Edge could be on his way to RAW then things would not look that bad without Cena, infact even without Edge they look better than ever

Airfixx

^^^^Edge to Raw???? ...Since when/According to whom?

Edge IS SD.

the-gaffer

Reaction score
^^^^Edge to Raw???? ...Since when/According to whom?

Edge IS SD.

Edge is most definitely the best thing on SD however with Michaels seemingly not desiring a title run with his limited scheduled and Cena out for a long time and Orton not due back for a while yet it leaves very little in the main event market which we haven't saw before, not many believe Kane as the top man anymore mainly due to the way he has been booked over the last few years, JBL gets X-Pac heat so it only leaves Punk (who is still on the learning curve for main event RAW) Jericho and Batista.

With Triple H Jeff Hardy and Umga all transferring to SMACKDOWN relatively recently and Edge being considered the best in the WWE at the moment I could easily see Edge being moved to the red brand!

Plus I think everyone who is anyone would want to see an Edge v HBK programme

Airfixx

IMO there's enough ME talent on Raw to tick things over until Orton returns...

IF Punk survives Unforgiven in tact there's still Y2J to keep him busy once the HBK angle is over(***)... So they could have a WHC match against Y2J @ No Mercy and then it's Survivor Series and depending the champs involvement and the 5-man matche(s) there needn't even be a WHC match.... Then one more PPV and we're on the road to WM.

(***By that time I'd guess Orton will be back and then there's all sorts of options: Orton/Punk, Orton/Batista, Orton/Rey... And that still leaves JBL, HBK, Y2J waiting in the wings.)

...Yeah, Edge V HBK would be sweet, but considering your point about HBK not wanting a title run, and WWE needing to replennis the WHC scene, it wouldn't solve anything.

Btw, what's X-Pac heat and how does that relate to JBL?

Beer Money Army

i don't like the Man.. but i don't wish injuries upon wrestlers i hate as they are human beings as me n everyone else

but this injury could be career threating... I reckon he could be out probably top 8-12 Months.. If it isn't as bad 6 months maybe... he May be back for WM25... but we will have to wait and see....

big Blow to Raw and WWE.. They are running low of Upper Midcarders on Smackdown due to injuries and now Raw losing one of there top Faces will be hard..

But i guess the is time for the face wrestlers of the likes kofi, d'lo, Cryme tyme, primo colon, London will have the opptunties to step up and show us what there made of...

Because Batista, punk, Mysterio, HBK are the only Raw Top faces. Mysterio last 24 months in WWE has been sideline city for him...

Austin_316

Reaction score
It seems to me that Cena will be out for a lengthy time possibly between 3 and 20 months depending on the extent of the injury. This might be a good thing for Raw so they can give a push to a different superstar, im not sure who or when. Also this may give time for Cena's character to become different possibly a heel as most fans boo him anyway.

Cayse

Reaction score
From the way it seems, if he ends up getting nerves pinched in his neck, he could be out as long as Helms has been. How long was he out? More than a year?

Reaction score
^ Yeh, he's still out and he's trying to make a return soon. Cena will be fine, i say maybe 2 mounths unless the neck injurey is really bad.