HBK's BTB Kolumn

• Thread starter Moonlight Drive
  • Start date
  • Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

seX-Power

This column hopefully will last and from one edition it looks better than others so far... i like how you focus on newer guys as well

xtremebadass

I love the organization. Plus this is a solo project which promises it will get completed unlike a team effort. This will hopefully have a long run here on IWF.

Moonlight Drive

Note: The Booker King & Top Match will only be a part of the column if something/someone really sticks out in my mind
--------------------------------------

HBK’s BTB Kolumn
Edition 2

Howdy, welcome to the 2nd Edition of HBK. Once again there is plenty of stuff, we’ve got an interview with BKB, a rant about cheap plugs, an awards retrospective and all the usual stuff which is pure awesomeness in a can, so let’s get going!

The Booker King

Or Kings? This time round, surprisingly, this goes to not one, ,but two bookers. And neither have them have actually posted a show on their current BTBs. I’m of course speaking of the bookers of NEW & EWS, BKB and CT Styles. Both of these guys are extremely talented, as we all know, and have had plenty of BTBs in the past. I’m hoping that both NEW & EWS stick, since they have awesome backstories & rosters, and I reckon I could see them both going a long way. CT said this would be his last attempt, so he better make it last. Congrats guys, you are The Booker Kings

An Interview with the Bicep

Firstly, thanks for letting me interview you

Alright now, onto the questions

You've had plenty of BTBs in the past, what has been your favourite to do?

No problem with the interview. Which is my favourite BTB I have done? I would say the one I am working on now (NEW), just because I think that I have some good solid feuds set up all over the card, with good wrestlers. In past BTB's I haven't liked my whole roster, I have only really liked my main eventers. But with NEW I really feel I have something set up all over the card. It is a really good feeling to know you have a lot of feuds that you can do, especially when a lot of them can be three or so month feuds.

Can you give us any insider clues on NEW, and how long do you think you can make it last?

Hmm well it will probably be up before this is released. But things for the future to look for are some long, planned out feuds. As far as how long it will last, I want to make this one last as long as readers are interested in it. No real spoilers there I know, but I am trying to keep everything as quiet as possible.

You're nominated in the Best Match-Writing Category, do you think you'll win it?

No. As far as I am concerned Headfirst For Hardcore is much better than me. I'm honoured that me and him are the two who are nominated for the award, but I'm not on his level. Maybe next time I can get the award, but I would consider myself lucky if I was to get it now.

What are your predictions on who is going to take out the awards?

XBA and Headfirst For Hardcore will dominate, and rightfully so. I believe they have both topped CMS during this past interval.

Who do you believe should've been nominated, but missed out?

No one. Everyone got what they deserved imo. Maybe your Royal Rumble match, but that was it.

Who do you think is overrated, and don't say nobody?

CMS is, although that is because newbies love him. DX_3:16 is also overrated in a way, but I think that is by himself. He is a DX_3:16 mark lol. Weebo as well. Andrew carried SWA imo, but some people disagree.

On all of IWF, who do you think will become the next 'big' bookers, and who are your favourite bookers?

Next big booker? Well you yourself would be high up in that category. Aside from that, I can't really pick anyone out. No one stands out from the pack to me. I find it kind of funny that I never got that tag, or was never mentioned with it at all. I seemingly 'debuted' in the section as a midcarder, and never moved lol.

My favourite bookers are Levi, CT Styles, XBA, HFH, and CMS. Levi because he can make something out of nothing. CT because his style of writing is good, and so easy to read. XBA is a booking genius, I am loving his Taker/Goldberg feud. HFH writes great matches and promos, as well as using people I love like Jimmy Jacobs. And CMS because he is constantly putting out his shows at the same consistant level.

What is your favourite style of wrestling to use, and who are your favourite superstars?

I don't have a specific style. I think that as long as someone has a big enough moveset, they can be used well.

My favourite guys to write with is interesting. John Morrison comes instantly to mind, as he has a big moveset, which has moves that can be hit from any angle. Brock Lesnar and AJ Styles are also great.

What do you value more in a BTB, promos, feuds or matches?

Well I find that match writing comes the most natural to me, although I am working on my feuds and promos a lot. They are definitely weak parts of my game, where as my match wirting is decent. I don't think one should be valued more over the other. An even balance is what is required, and that is what HFH has.

Finally, what is your advice for up-and-coming bookers looking to make their mark?

Um, well first off don't be generic. A generic backstory is not a good start. So just try to be original, and just keep the ball rolling. As long as you don't rush your BTB, people will take notice. And lastly, pay attention to each and every little detail, as the little things do make a big difference imo.

Ask HBK

Brian Kendrick’s Biceps said:
Top five favourite bookers on the site?

Who are some of the most underrated bookers on the site?

Who are some of the most overrated bookers on the site

1) In no particular order, I’d probably say Headfirst for Hardcore, XBA, Levi, WCW Rules and CMS. HFH is probably tied at one with WCW Rules, who is pure awesomeness in a can. CMS puts on consistently great shows in BTW, Levi has managed to turn a bunch of jobbers and low-carders into the powerhouse known as HEW, and XBA has gone outside the box and taken a time period BTB, not many of which are seen around here. Plus he writes awesome promos.

2) Most of the WWE feds, as there is so many that are just skimmed over due to them being ‘just another WWE BTB’. More in-depth in ‘Thought to Ponder’

3) Hmm, I don’t really like answering this question, because I’m sure many will take it the wrong way. One great quote I’ve heard is people are made overrated by fan boys and underrated by blind haters. I am going to say that I think CMS is overrated, simply because the noobs suck up to him. I also think that if somebody is extremely arrogant it will automatically make their BTB overrated in my eyes, as hardly ever can somebody live up to their own hype.

Cheap plugs…

Okay, now I’m pissed off. I have done plugs before in reviews (I have stopped now) but sometimes they just go too far. Today, I got a PM with someone asking me to check out their BTB, and I’d receive rep (not even a return review?). Now, there is an advertising thread for a reason. And I’ll review a BTB if I feel like it, I’m not going to do it just because somebody PM’s me. I am now not going to ever look at this BTB, since I refuse to review a show which sends out PM’s advertising it. I’m not going to name names, because that is not the point. The point is, plugging your BTB in PM’s is not going to get you reviews, it will probably get you less. So just fucking don’t. Giving reviews will bring in reviews than advertsiing in Pms. Cheap plugs are a plague, I understand that people really do want reviews for there shows, as every booker does, and sometimes you decided to post elsewhere to get some attention, but the advertising thread is there to advertise. Cheap plugs in reviews are fine imo, if someone takes out the time to read my BTB, I’ll read there’s in return. Pming Cheap Plugs=Bad idea

Straight from the Bookers Mouth

This editions question: How did you find out about BTB, and why did you start?

Brian Kendrick’s Bicep: I joined IWF, then saw the section. I never really started until I tried out to become the fill in writer for SWA Anarchy. I got the job, and have written here since.

WCW Rules:
Well, I found BTB through searching for a forum to discuss wrestling related topics and such. I came across this section entitled, 'Be The Booker,' and though reading the description it entailed regarding booking your own promotion and whatnot, I was intrigued to say the least and decided to try it out within my first month of being at the forum. This was two years ago, mind you.

I tried it out because of the creative aspect of the experience, I guess. I'm a creative guy, and I like to mould certain attributes into my own, and so I asked myself, "Would I make a good booker?" Of course, at first, I was mediocre, but through months of practice and writing, I slowly improved and by the beginning of 2007, I had improved immensely in the six months I had been booking.

Another reason why I started booking is because I'm aspiring to be a professional writer someday. In my spare time, I'm a writer of stories and verses. I write poems, and I write short stories. Being the Booker gives me a chance to hone and refine my craft at writing and telling stories, creating characters, and the like. I guess booking is more than a hobby for me in some cases, as it's a stepping stone for me from amateur to professional writer. I guess that's why I'm sorta passionate about booking, in a sense. Some guys wouldn't understand as it's just a hobby for them, but for me, it's a means to becoming a bonafide author in my own right.

The Quintastic One: Funny enough, Michael Dennin (DenninV2) contacted me. We were both buddies from way back in 2004 from the now defunct PCW E-Fedding Promotion. He wanted to know if I would be interested in Co-Writing a Post Draft BTB with him on this website, and given the current state of Efedding, with it mostly dying, or being overrun by Emos and Douchebags, I said what the hell let's do it. He backed out before our first shows went up, due to time constraints, but the concept still intrigued me, so I decided to embark on my own BTB, ABC Wrestling. The rest, is history.

GardsJr: Since IWF was like my second forum, I found here by going through Google and found this forum. I started searching as a guest and went through the BTB section avidly looking at BTB's such as SWA and HEW and the rest is history.

Lethal Combination: Well I had signed up to many other wrestling forums, but got pretty bored of them so spotted IWF. Looked around a few threads for a moment then decided to sign up. After that I spotted the Be The Booker Section and give it a go just for fun. And that was back in January of this year

CT Styles: Well I originally joined another forum and just did it because it was always advertising it and one day I thought, yeah, I'll join so I did. I never saw the Book This! section and when I finally did I never knew what it was. Finally I thought I'd have a look and I did. I fell in love with it but was banned shortly after lol. I then looked around on google and eventually found IWF and chose it because it had the best BTB section which was my new favorite thing.

Headfirst for Hardcore: I came here on IWF just to E-Fed, and after the E-Fed closed down for a little bit, I saw the BTB Section, where most of the E-Fedders were on in the Summer of 2007. I took a look at the shows, and thought that I could do better. I was in for a CHALLENGE, and so I started with DOW. That lasted for like 3 shows, and then it closed. I came back to BTB this March after seeing a live ROH show, and being amazed at everything I saw. Again, I was ready for a challenge, and so I started PRIDE.

King Lennie: Well IWF is my first ever forum and when I joined I searched through it, I came across BTB and started looking through some of the other members work. I read HEW by The Leviathan who was mod at the time and some of the former mods (the anigams) work and it looked fun. I liked/like the idea of making your own company and doing what you think could be good and entertaining, I like writing and I thought this was a good way to show that I do.

Xtremebadass: Well I was on IWF for a couple months and always looked over the BTB Section because I didn't really know what it was. However, every time I saw it on the home page the last posted topic was always WWE: The Power is Back by the Answer. One day I just went to look at the BTB section and what it was all about. I noticed how lack luster it was and there wasn't really any spice to the section at all. So I created a BTB, I forgot what the name was, it was a created BTB. I made a Women's title that didn't consist of wrestling, I think it was like pole dancing or something, that didn't last too long before I created TNA iMPACT! I started iMPACT! to be like Answer, I noticed that it didn't look hard to succeed at BTB and I was in the right place at the right time and along with Anigma and the Answer, we changed the BTB section. Fast forward, I have had two HOF worthy BTB's, just another thing to add onto my IWF Resume.

The Awards Retrospective

Well the Awards have come and gone. For me, it was a great motivator to even get mentioned in any categories, although I knew I wouldn’t be nominated. I think the people who won this time around were very deserving, especially HFH and his host of awards. I suspected a HFH cleansweep, which almost happened, with HFH a whopping SIX awards, all of which he rightfully deserved. Gards and the Vince Russo Award? LOL, seems a little harsh, but at least it was by default. Overall, The Awards recognized exactly who should’ve won them, so congratulations to all who won.

Under the Spotlight
CMS

Ah yes, CMS. The name which is synonymous with BTB, the mod, the 3X Booker of Bookers. CMS is definitely one of the best bookers on IWF, and probably the most recognisable. If you asked someone to come up with a list of bookers from IWF, almost all those lists would have CMS as the first that came to mind. BTW is definitely among the top BTBs on the site, let’s put it and it’s booker CMS ‘Under the Spotlight’

BTW, like I said, it was one of the stand-out BTBs on IWF. It is phenomenal in every aspect of BTB, matches, promos, you name it. But there is one thing in BTW, something that stands out from the pack which I believe has made it such a huge success, and that is the feuds and how they are booked, what is the heart and soul of BTB. You can have great matches, great promos, great GFX, but none of that matters unless there’s a good feud supporting it.

CMS has the uncanny ability to set up his feuds and storylines so they seamlessly flow from one to the next without skipping a beat, and every feud of his I have seen, none have got stale. They all have a refreshing feel to them. Not to mention CMS seems to have a very creative mind, I went back a few pages to see some previous work, and their were many matches and feuds I wish I’d thought of. BTW has been around a helluva long time, and I think that is all thanks to CMS’ creativity and ability to keep each show fresh and exciting. On each of CMS’ shows, I’ve seen something different almost every time, and almost never seem the same thing twice.

CMS mentioned in his rant BTW was dying. I feel BTW has plenty of life left, if only it is until WrestleBowl. But when it’s time to stop, it’s time to stop. I don’t know what these ‘infamous C4 comments’ were, but I can understand the frustration he mentioned of not getting reviews for hard work. Still, I personally, would love to see BTW keep going till WrestleBowl, which CMS promised to be the best PPV we’ve ever read. If you do leave, CMS, you still will probably be one of the best bookers this site has seen.

Thought to Ponder
WWE BTBs

Okay, before I get into this, let me explain something. This may sound hypocritical, and I know that. But personally, I feel I have furthered myself from the other WWE BTBs. Okay, let’s go.

Something people always desire with their BTB is recognition, reviews, feedback. And exactly how shall you get that when there are 7 other threads almost identical to yours?

I am of course talking about WWE BTBs, especially 2008 ones. I went through the active BTBs (counting active as a post within 1 week) and there were FIFTEEN WWE BTBs. Now, think about this for a second. I’m not saying the WWE BTBs are bad or anything, hell, I’ve got one, but why would someone go into your BTB if there are 10 others with the almost exact same premise?

Look at all the ‘big’ bookers. Their BTBs have something different about them. PRIDE & HEW, are a combination of indy guys & lower carders. BTW is a created fed, which means it isn’t restricted in any way shape or form in the way a WWE Post-Draft/08/Beyond the PPV Thread is. XBA has his thread in a different time period, something very few bookers on this site have done. The theme with all these? Uniqueness, originality, something different. I’m sure many of the WWE BTBs are a great product, but many of you will not get the recognition you deserve, due to the fact people will probably skim over it thinking it’s ‘just another WWE fed’, because they will more than likely know the roster, champions, etc. But then again, if they see a created BTB, they won’t know what to expect, and will probably go in and see what it’s all about.

So all you young bookers out there looking to make an impact, take some of the advice HFH gave in his interview last edition, and that is you should try something different, something unexpected, one of a kind. My opinion, my thought to ponder

Thanks for reading everyone, hope you all enjoyed it.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Good work again, it was a nice read. I really liked the detail WCW Rules went into with his response, and your opinions seem spot on to me. Looking forward to the next edition :y:

edgehead09

Reaction score
why dont u just go out and say it HBK, it was me. Yea, i fucking PMed you askin for a review. I thought we were cool so i figured u would review it. I have PMed request in the past and no one has had a problem with it. Now i kno that in order to get reveiws you have to give reviews but i cannot review shows. Honestly, i cannot sit down and read through the matches. Promos are fine, but matches bore me. Now rather than me pullin a DX 3-16 and fakin a review i choice not to review. I feel that not giving input is better than giving some made up input that could lead u off in the wrong path.

So, yes i did PM you askin for a review but it was simply because i knew i was goin to be unable to review ur show.

O, and yea i reviewed CMS' show but it took me like 30 mins to read that one show...now if i were to review say 5 shows think of how long it would take me to review it

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Well my only real response to that Nate, is that you gotta do what you gotta do in order to get recognized. If it takes you 3 hours to review shows then that's what people who are not all that popular have to do in order to get reviews for their shows. Guys like CMS, Xtremebadass, and HFH don't have to try that hard because they are popular and will get reviews naturally for just being generally known as good bookers.

As for me, i barely have enough time on my hands to do ABC Wrestling, which is why i haven't been doing many reviews lately, so i understand as a consequence of me not reviewing other BTB's I wont be getting reviews for ABC. That continues the domino effect because now i'm losing inspiration and my PPV is running late, because i'm not getting feedback. But i see why that is, and won't be complaining when i inevitably have to shut ABC down in a couple weeks.

But it's like i said, its rough. You gotta give if you want to receive, and you just gotta look at HBK's column and not so much take it as an insult, but take it as advice that PM advertising is not going to get you a review any faster.

[/2cents]

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

why dont u just go out and say it HBK, it was me. Yea, i fucking PMed you askin for a review. I thought we were cool so i figured u would review it. I have PMed request in the past and no one has had a problem with it. Now i kno that in order to get reveiws you have to give reviews but i cannot review shows. Honestly, i cannot sit down and read through the matches. Promos are fine, but matches bore me. Now rather than me pullin a DX 3-16 and fakin a review i choice not to review. I feel that not giving input is better than giving some made up input that could lead u off in the wrong path.

So, yes i did PM you askin for a review but it was simply because i knew i was goin to be unable to review ur show.

O, and yea i reviewed CMS' show but it took me like 30 mins to read that one show...now if i were to review say 5 shows think of how long it would take me to review it
You know, that just sounds like you are too lazy to review other people's shows, yet you want reviews for yourself. Why would I review someone if they are annoying me for it? There's a thing called giving back to the section. All you do is take. If you aren't helping out anyone, you don't deserve any help yourself. Yet for some reason, you go off and have a tantrum about how it is so hard for you. Maybe if you spent less time caring about yourself, you would be able to review.

EDIT: You know, thinking about this, Nate has shot himself in the foot here. He simply could have seen this, and thought, "Oh, my bad. I won't do it again." But instead he has come out and had a cry about it. Go figure.

Gards Jr.

Reaction score
Good Column HBK. Oh and Nate it takes me longer when I actually review :$

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
Great read, this column is great. Your points were spot on, and I love the thought to ponder, it was a good take on what I said in my interview from last week.

The Nate reviewing BTB thing is pretty one sided. When I review weekly shows, I almost never read the whole thing, I speed read/skim through stuff. I still get the feel of what's happening in the show, which is all that I need. Not having enough time isn't an excuse for anyone, because we do spend lots of time writing shows.

Moonlight Drive

HBK's BTB Kolumn
Edition 3
Preview

--Check back here (regularly :)) as the preview is updated--

Under the Spotlight
It's time to move onto another one of IWF's big guns, Xtremebadass!

Straight from the Bookers Mouth
This weeks question: If you could team up with any IWF booker for a partnered BTB, who would it be?

Ask HBK
No questions to be answered

Reviews
How to get more, why your not getting any, and what we should do about it

Fake Reviews Challenge
I'm gonna lay down a gauntlet, and see if anybody can tell a fake review from a real review

Rate the Booker
Rate/Hate/Debate/Masturbate as long as you participate :)

Thought to Ponder: The Little Things
It's the little things that make a great BTB

Preview subject to change​