Has Youtube gone too far?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I seen Beaver'a thread about WC getting attacked now for hate speech and I thought this was a worthy topic.

I am not sure all of the ins and outs or what is going on as I am not a "Youtuber" but I can say that after reading the TLDR version, it is BULL. Yes, there are people out there who shouldn't earn money for down talking others but when it is part of a sketch, comedy, or even art... Why so serious? I see so many people on Youtube who ARE earning and are getting ads and they are some of the trashiest people. They down talk anyone who doesn't agree with them. How is this fair? Not only that, you have people like gamers who suddenly need to "tone it down" or else they wont make money. People who have been a part of Youtube for YEARS.

What are your thoughts on everything happening as an outsider (or a Youtuber yourself)?

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I personally hvnt seen anything wrong or bad.... As of yet. I hv seen more "Funny" clips on youtube more than anything..

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I personally hvnt seen anything wrong or bad.... As of yet. I hv seen more "Funny" clips on youtube more than anything..

This doesn't directly effect showing videos but videos earning income. So someone's video can go up and then they can be told it will not earn money.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Now, by people pointing out this issue of "hate speech" and other advertiser unfriendly content on YouTube, it's made people more sensitive than they were before. Now people will be looking for this sort of thing where they likely would never have noticed it before. That's human nature. And when you're looking for something, you'll find it... even if it is not really there.

Interestingly enough, the whole Adpocalypse thing hasn't affected me in any way. I have been told over and over by my friends on YouTube that horror channels have been seriously lacking in ad support and their revenue has gone down. I had one video with the word "suicide" in the name of it that was ineligible for monetization.

The funny thing is that the whole ad thing was overblown from the beginning. Although there was an exodus of big advertisers, other advertisers have come and filled in some of the empty spaces. If people wouldn't have made it into a bigger deal than it was, things would be different.

What I HAVE noticed, however, is that YouTubers themselves have taken very strange measures in order to either try and help their own revenue or to hurt others. People are calling each other out for language. There are BIG channels where the YouTubers keep begging people for money now. They beg for more clicks on their advertisers. They beg people to go donate to Patreon. They are letting their content suffer for begging for money, which is idiotic and counter productive.

I've done the same thing I've always done. I make my videos. I post them. I respond to EVERY comment on my channel politely and gratefully. The only thing I've asked for money on is a Go Fund Me I posted for a diabetic friend of mine that had no money for insulin. I've never mentioned the advertising thing in any way. I've stayed true to my YouTuber friends and I continue helping smaller channels when I can. And my revenue hasn't changed one bit.

I wouldn't say YouTube has gone too far. There was an expose in a newspaper that started all this. Pewdiepie had been making some videos that were downright anti-Semitic, although he claims he was joking. His lack of need of revenue (he's worth over 12 million solely from his channel) has given him a "I don't give a fuck" attitude about what he does. Unfortunately, that ego and insensitivity has hurt a lot of other people. YouTube is still swept in damage control from this whole thing. However, their mistake was coming out and defending themselves by claiming that so much content is uploaded each day, they can't keep track of every offensive comment posted. This, in turn, inspires people to try and do it on their own. Again, if you look for something to offend you, you will find it.. even if it isn't there.

EDIT: I forgot to put down my entire point. People see and believe there is less money going around so now they want to try and take down competing channels so they can get a bigger piece of the pie. But it's not really YouTube's fault. I blame the expose and people like Pewdiepie for being a dick in the first place.

Last edited:

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score

I just want to bring this video up because I feel like it gives a massively different perspective to the "Ad-pocalypse"

also because Emma is one of my faves but shush. :p

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Now, by people pointing out this issue of "hate speech" and other advertiser unfriendly content on YouTube, it's made people more sensitive than they were before. Now people will be looking for this sort of thing where they likely would never have noticed it before. That's human nature. And when you're looking for something, you'll find it... even if it is not really there.

Interestingly enough, the whole Adpocalypse thing hasn't affected me in any way. I have been told over and over by my friends on YouTube that horror channels have been seriously lacking in ad support and their revenue has gone down. I had one video with the word "suicide" in the name of it that was ineligible for monetization.

The funny thing is that the whole ad thing was overblown from the beginning. Although there was an exodus of big advertisers, other advertisers have come and filled in some of the empty spaces. If people wouldn't have made it into a bigger deal than it was, things would be different.

What I HAVE noticed, however, is that YouTubers themselves have taken very strange measures in order to either try and help their own revenue or to hurt others. People are calling each other out for language. There are BIG channels where the YouTubers keep begging people for money now. They beg for more clicks on their advertisers. They beg people to go donate to Patreon. They are letting their content suffer for begging for money, which is idiotic and counter productive.

I've done the same thing I've always done. I make my videos. I post them. I respond to EVERY comment on my channel politely and gratefully. The only thing I've asked for money on is a Go Fund Me I posted for a diabetic friend of mine that had no money for insulin. I've never mentioned the advertising thing in any way. I've stayed true to my YouTuber friends and I continue helping smaller channels when I can. And my revenue hasn't changed one bit.

I wouldn't say YouTube has gone too far. There was an expose in a newspaper that started all this. Pewdiepie had been making some videos that were downright anti-Semitic, although he claims he was joking. His lack of need of revenue (he's worth over 12 million solely from his channel) has given him a "I don't give a fuck" attitude about what he does. Unfortunately, that ego and insensitivity has hurt a lot of other people. YouTube is still swept in damage control from this whole thing. However, their mistake was coming out and defending themselves by claiming that so much content is uploaded each day, they can't keep track of every offensive comment posted. This, in turn, inspires people to try and do it on their own. Again, if you look for something to offend you, you will find it.. even if it isn't there.

EDIT: I forgot to put down my entire point. People see and believe there is less money going around so now they want to try and take down competing channels so they can get a bigger piece of the pie. But it's not really YouTube's fault. I blame the expose and people like Pewdiepie for being a dick in the first place.

That actually makes sense. Like Youtubers attacking each other and stuff because they are worried. I know some people I follow have mentioned their income dropping but they don't do anything offensive. I guess if they mention a topic that is touchy, not even in detail, Youtube has to go after it because they don't have time to sit down and check every single video. Either way, I am glad it hasn't effected you. I was more worried about this causing issues for smaller channels than bigger ones.

People Like Pewdiepie can mention needing money and people would throw it at him. There are a lot of people that have THAT big of fans so advertising income to them doesn't matter as much and that is the reason they do what they do. He has every right to post what he wants if it is not physically harming someone but him not getting paid for it is fair. I just don't want to see people who aren't intentionally doing things that they know will upset people get punished.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

I just want to bring this video up because I feel like it gives a massively different perspective to the "Ad-pocalypse"

also because Emma is one of my faves but shush. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

It is actually being called the Adpocalypse!? :dawg:
Who came up with that?

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
I have no issue with jokes of any kind. If someone wants to mock me for being white, straight, traditional or whatever it may be, I don't care. People are way too sensitive.
Of course, obvious hate speech is not cool. If you go on the internet calling for the death of all black people, expect it to be removed and get a lot of shit for it.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I'd love to say something about how if YouTube goes down this path any further then another video service could rise up and people can go to that one instead, it's capitalism 101 and all, but people won't. So, none of this matters

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
I'd love to say something about how if YouTube goes down this path any further then another video service could rise up and people can go to that one instead, it's capitalism 101 and all, but people won't. So, none of this matters
Vine almost did it tbf

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
That actually makes sense. Like Youtubers attacking each other and stuff because they are worried. I know some people I follow have mentioned their income dropping but they don't do anything offensive. I guess if they mention a topic that is touchy, not even in detail, Youtube has to go after it because they don't have time to sit down and check every single video. Either way, I am glad it hasn't effected you. I was more worried about this causing issues for smaller channels than bigger ones.

People Like Pewdiepie can mention needing money and people would throw it at him. There are a lot of people that have THAT big of fans so advertising income to them doesn't matter as much and that is the reason they do what they do. He has every right to post what he wants if it is not physically harming someone but him not getting paid for it is fair. I just don't want to see people who aren't intentionally doing things that they know will upset people get punished.

It's one of the sadder points of human nature. When resources are fewer, people will turn on each other to protect their share.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I have no issue with jokes of any kind. If someone wants to mock me for being white, straight, traditional or whatever it may be, I don't care. People are way too sensitive.
Of course, obvious hate speech is not cool. If you go on the internet calling for the death of all black people, expect it to be removed and get a lot of shit for it.

You damn breeder.

Reactions: Solidus1