Has anyone ever wondered why Haku was never booked as an unbeatable, monsterous heel...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aztecwarrior480

The Artiste
Reaction score
during his WWF/E run in 1988-1992(aside from being a part of The Islanders tag team)?

Considering Haku's intimidating backstage reputation, I'm surprised he was never once pushed as an unbeatable monsterous heel contender in a similar way to how Umaga was pushed as a monsterous heel who challenged main-eventers(John Cena, etc.). From a few things I've heard, the only reason why Haku has very rarely, if ever, received that type of push in the WWE, was because Haku was too modest and never really cared much for the main-event spot. Not sure if this is exactly the case but it's what I've heard.

Last edited:

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Haku may have been a legitimate tough guy (I've read stories from wrestlers about Haku's exploits on the road) but being a legit tough man doesn't mean he deserves a push. Haku wasn't much of a talker, as his manager Bobby Heenan did the talking for him. Frankly, I felt he had a good career in the WWF: being co-holders of the tag team titles with Andre the Giant, being Davey Boy Smith's comeback opponent in 1990, and working the opening match with The Barbarian against the Rockers in Wrestlemania 7.

Crash

Reaction score
Biting off peoples noses and eye gouging makes you a thug not a tough guy

Reminds me of when Kevin Nash was bragging about squeezing someone's balls or gouging eyes to win fights.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
No one gave a shit about Haku because he didnt draw money

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
He was, several times. His first run in WCW as Meng, he was as invulnerable as the Undertaker.

But the biggest reason is that he didn't care about it. Many wrestler bios portray Haku as a loving family man who loved the business. He KNEW who he was in real life, so why would he give a shit that he wasn't portrayed that way on screen?

The Sheik

The Architect
Technician
Reaction score
Because WWF had way better monster heels.. I'd go with Bundy or Andre over Haku any day of the week.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Because WWF had way better monster heels.. I'd go with Bundy or Andre over Haku any day of the week.

You know, Haku and Harley Race have the reps of the two baddest and toughest guys in this history of the business. Even Andre admitted he was afraid of Haku. But, you know, the Steiner Bros are also known as some of the toughest bar fighters in history.

Bundy, Andre, the Million Dollar Man, Paul Orndorff.. and so many other had the talent but weren't draws. But even though Haku is 60 years old, I bet most anyone would still not challenge that mother fucker

Reactions: Crash

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Haku may have been a legitimate tough guy (I've read stories from wrestlers about Haku's exploits on the road) but being a legit tough man doesn't mean he deserves a push. Haku wasn't much of a talker, as his manager Bobby Heenan did the talking for him. Frankly, I felt he had a good career in the WWF: being co-holders of the tag team titles with Andre the Giant, being Davey Boy Smith's comeback opponent in 1990, and working the opening match with The Barbarian against the Rockers in Wrestlemania 7.
Wth does being a badass heel unbeatable character have to do with talking? Brock can barely talk and is the biggest heel we’ve seen in a while.
[automerge]1564701452[/automerge]
Biting off peoples noses and eye gouging makes you a thug not a tough guy
What? That’s very subjective, and based on actual fighters, like idk, Bruce Lee, for example, you’re completely wrong. In reality, you do whatever it takes to win a fight.

If Haku had a disadvantage in height or strength, he would find a way to win, and that’s exactly what you should do. If you define toughness as being able to take hits and keep coming, well, from the stories, he could do that, too.

Last edited:

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Wth does being a badass heel unbeatable character have to do with talking? Brock can barely talk and is the biggest heel we’ve seen in a while.

WWF in the early 90's a performer had to have charisma and a larger-than-life personality. Haku just didn't have that It factor. Not many people would pay money to see a live WWF show if Haku was headlining the main event. On the subject of Brock, you're right he can't talk, only wrestles a handful of matches a year, has a limited moveset, and I don't think the ratings are all that high when he is on TV. Maybe it's time Vince should let him go and the hefty salary that Brock commands. High maintenance, low payoff.

• Haha
Reactions: edge4ever