Guys who shouldv'e been put over

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I was thinking who shouldv'e been put over in certain matches in WWE.

Here are some of my examples.

1. Nexus at Summerslam - This was the starting point of Nexus failing.
2. Wade Barrett over Randy Orton - Survivor Series 2010. - Why not give Barrett a run with the title? Barrett couldv'e lost the belt back to Orton and Miz couldv'e cashed it the MIB. Then they wouldn't have had that stupid Cena fired storyline.
3. CM Punk over Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 27 or Extreme Rules - Orton winning both matches made no sense at all.
4. Alberto Del Rio over John Cena - Night of Champions 2011 - What was the point of Cena winning back the WWE Title?
5. Batista over John Cena - Wrestlemania 26. - Batista won the belt at Elimination Chamber then loses it back to Cena at WM. What was the point of this short reign for Batista? Cena beat Batista at the next two PPVs anyway, so what couldv'e hurt if Batista won at Wrestlemania?
6. Christian over Randy Orton at Over the Limit 2011 - Orton came into OTL as champion...Okay, then Orton beats him at C.Punishment, loses the belt to Christian at Money in the Bank and loses it back to Orton at Summerslam. What was the point of all this? Christian couldv'e had a nice run as champion and lose it back to Orton at Summerslam.
7. The Miz over Alex Riley - Yes, Alex Riley was just upcoming into his own. But this lost hurt Miz more than it helped Alex Riley.
8. Miz/R-Truth over John Cena/Rock - The storyline between Cena/Rock wouldv'e been better if either Rock or Cena cost the other one the match. Plus it wouldv'e helped build on Miz and R-Truth as heel threats.
9. Ziggler over Edge - Royal Rumble 2011. Ziggler had the belt for 5 minutes. Okay, its bullshit, but okay. If Edge was going to win the title back, why not have Ziggler win it at the Rumble and then lost at E.Chamber?
10. Cody Rhodes or Ted Dibiase over Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 26. Why couldn't Orton put one of them over and help build a new face?

I'm not sure if I can think of anything else..But post what ones that you know of.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Orton over Hogan @ Summerslam 2006
Cena over RVD @ One Night Stand 2006
Goldberg over Nash (scraps the fingerpoke too)

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
This is an awesome thread but i'm going to comment on yours then do mine some other time.

1. Nexus at Summerslam - I can't agree more with you, that is what mostly killed the storyline and made me stop caring for a bit until they finally pushed Morrison and Punk on commentary. Even as a huge Kane fan and him having the title didn't keep my interest because I was so let down by the storyline.
2. Wade Barrett over Randy Orton - Survivor Series 2010. - Barrett was pretty green in the ring but I can get what you're saying. Cena firing storyline was beyond brutal, the only that was good about it was Punk commentary being sarcastic saying that man is fired or he spilled my diet soda.
3. CM Punk over Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 27 or Extreme Rules - I'm always a supporter of Orton but that made zero sense to me. The matches were really good but Punk was buried and the Nexus.
4. Alberto Del Rio over John Cena - Night of Champions 2011 - Just another stupid booking decision by WWE. They made Del Rio look awful as a champion. Couldn't agree more.
5. Batista over John Cena - Wrestlemania 26.- I think WWE realized Batista was leaving so they said forget giving him a shining moment. I get your logic but I don't blame WWE for this. Why give the guy a great moment when he's ditching your company.
6. Christian over Randy Orton at Over the Limit 2011 - Another one I have to agree with you easily. Then again I think just keeping the title on Christian from the start would be perfect. This story line was just disastrous and it just made Orton even more over. The one thing I can say was that every match was so fun to watch. Both guys were incredible.
7. The Miz over Alex Riley - I don't think so because Miz was still in big spot matches and doing great work. It was a bit shocking here at first but then it grew on me. Then A-Riley disappeared so it didn't benefit anyone.
8. Miz/R-Truth over John Cena/Rock - Miz Truth beat Punk and Triple H at the PPV before so that was the match that made him big time heel threats. With that win, they were billed as huge threats. If anything the match at Survivor Series (I was live for that) was booked pretty poorly from a match standpoint with Cena doing nothing.
9. Ziggler over Edge - Royal Rumble 2011. This was confusing and I would agree with you but Edge was on his last run so I don't blame Edge. Ziggler didn't seem to be ready either because he wasn't good on the mic yet. If that was now, then of course.
10. Cody Rhodes or Ted Dibiase over Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 26. I don't see how anyone can argue here. Orton winning was pretty pointless.

Reaction score
Cork, are you serious? Cena over RVD? That place would have had a riot if Cena won. They did the right thing and have RVD win.

BRJP, after Riley beat Miz..Miz didn't do anything until his storyline with R-Truth. He was very nonexisted during the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Thats the exact reason why Cena should of gone over.

Rioting > RVD's shitty run as champ.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I'm really into this right now even though I'm happy with the WWE right now. Anyway here are my top ten but not in order because I have a lot.

1. CM Punk vs 2010- That's basically it because Punk was the best performer in 2010 yet he was getting buried in every PPV match. The Straight Edge Society was a brilliant stable and they just killed it. I could see why Rey beat him two out of three times but why did Big Show beat Punk twice? That really annoyed me and still sticks out being a Punk mark.

2. Christian Money In The Bank- Wrestlemania 26: You could make an argument for 25 as well but remember Punk winning the MITB led to the epic heel turn. I have to go with 26 because Jack Swagger was such a bust. If Christian would have won it, it would have been an incredible moment. I'm happy he got his title but still don't see why Swagger got it.

3. Triple H vs Kane- 2002 No Mercy: Triple H may be a repetitive name on this list because time and time again, Hunter being the egotistical jackass that he is couldn't make someone a bigger star when he was already the man on Raw. You have Kane who's so deserving as a reliable worker and so over. He has the tag titles and IC title, could you imagine if he won the World Heavyweight Title. That would have made him even bigger, but instead we get the same old Triple H.

4- Triple H vs Booker T- Wrestlemania 19: I never got this one either since Triple H already has had a huge title reign and he's going up against another guy that was getting really over. Booker T could have been made into a true main eventer on Raw instead he loses and fades to obscurity. RVD is another one but I hear always that he didn't want all the spotlight and responsibility. Why not put over Booker is ridiculous.

5. Randy Orton vs Triple H- Unforgiven 2004: You make Orton a huge face and he's getting a huge reaction because he stood up for himself against Triple H. He has serious momentum but instead Triple H has the title again and beats him to kill Orton's momentum. Instead a nice title reign that could have memorable, it was just to make sure Brock Lesnar wasn't the youngest champion ever. i know Randy wasn't all that ready for a big title run but let him get one win over Triple H.

6. CM Punk- Night Of Champions: So they just take the title off Punk by getting knocked out by Orton. Then where was the feud? Instead it turned into Orton's huge heel turn while Punk was back to floating in the mid card. They're wasn't any blow off feud and Punk couldn't even compete for his title that night.

7. MVP vs failed booking- I'm a huge Morrison fan, but nobody got more short cutted in the WWE than MVP. They dropped the ball on him completely which was stupid. When I got back into wrestling in mid 2008, MVP was one of my favorite heels. Then he went on a huge losing streak then to turn face which led to absolutely nothing. They really dropped the ball on him.

8. The Corre vs Kane, Show, Kingston, Santino- This is pretty random because I'm getting stumped and Gold Standard picked some great ones. This pops up to me because I thought The Corre could have been much better. They were a bit lame especially with the awful theme song but for them to get buried in two minutes was ridiculous at last year's Mania.

9. Dolph Ziggler vs Rey Mysterio- Summerslam 2010: I don't know why Mysterio didn't want to drop the IC title to Ziggler because it would have been a huge win for him. Instead Dolph loses to Morrison then does nothing for a while on Smackdown. it was a great match but still don't get why Rey didn't drop it to Ziggler.

10. Edge vs John Cena- Royal Rumble 2006: I know Edge's build up was awesome and his match with Foley at Mania was great but why couldn't he had one title defense. Edge went on to be one of the greatest of all time like we all know, but it still bugged me why did he only have a three week reign. Cena could have won before Mania then to face Triple H.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I agree but basically Raw was taken over by Summer Of Punk and Del Rio winning. Mysterio had short title reign as well but Raw was a bit clustered when all the craziness was happening with Punk. That was a strange feud and it did nothing for either guy.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I can't remember the actual feud so I could be wrong and someone could explain it to me, but I remember several years ago when Carlito & Masters were floating around the main event and were in the Elimination Chamber, anyways it got to a stage where Carlito was in a match with HHH where only he could use weapons, but he still the lost the match and the only thing I could think of was "What a load of bullshit, HHH just buried that motherfucker."

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I've got a lot but most of you have summed up the matches I would have suggested as well.

If I can think of some I will post them here.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
briscoebros
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
nxt
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
hardy vs orton royal rumble 2008.i was stunned when randy hit that rko and sent jeff back to midcard for another 6 months.

Last edited:

AF.

Reaction score
Chris Jericho over JTG. Damn guy buries everyone.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I can't remember the actual feud so I could be wrong and someone could explain it to me, but I remember several years ago when Carlito & Masters were floating around the main event and were in the Elimination Chamber, anyways it got to a stage where Carlito was in a match with HHH where only he could use weapons, but he still the lost the match and the only thing I could think of was "What a load of bullshit, HHH just buried that motherfucker."
I know what you're talking about but it was a year between the Carlito teaming with Masters and the feud he had with HHH. Think Carlito even got a win over Cena prior to that feud with Trips in 07 which of course is freaking huge since Cena losing at that point was rare. So yeah that was a good one Carlito could have been made if they did anything with it. Here are some more that I didn't see mentioned

Umaga over Cena - I think with this they could have made Umaga pretty damn big for him to be the one to take the belt off Cena and get made from it. Now I want to say have Umaga win it and then have them face off at mania where if need be you have Cena win it back but then there wouldn't have been the HBK/Cena feud so idk.

Cryme Tyme over anyone who had the tag titles - Makes no sense at all as to why they never got the titles. Very over thought they worked great as a team, gimmick could have worked face or heel. They missed the boat with them imo.

Will comeback and add more if I think of any.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
hardy vs orton royal rumble 2008.i was stunned when randy hit that rko and sent jeff back to midcard for another 6 months.

that's because jeff fail'ed the wellness test a couple of weeks later.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
It's one thing to be a dumb ass it's another thing to be a dumb ass before mania like he did and cost himself mitb which he was very rumored to win. So kind of was a good thing he didn't beat Orton since it would have been rvd all over again just worse since it would have screwed with mania.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Matt Hardy over Jeff Hardy at Mania is the only one I can really think of, I know Jeff won at the following Pay Per View, but Jeff had a lot more credibility leading into the match with Hardy at Mania and was one of the companies big faces, I don't get why Matt won.