General Tennis Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aniking

Reaction score
Never knew you liked Tennis btw Aniking, always good to have another fan on the Forum.

Yeah I've been a Tennis fan for as long as I can remember. Grandmother played, Mum did, I did a little. I only follow it hardcore around Aussie Open time, then I pretty much find out who wins the Grand Slams and that's it haha. Somewhat of a bandwagon fan :p

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I've been a Tennis fan for as long as I can remember. Grandmother played, Mum did, I did a little. I only follow it hardcore around Aussie Open time, then I pretty much find out who wins the Grand Slams and that's it haha. Somewhat of a bandwagon fan :p

Wow awesome man :). You should follow it more, great sport and plenty of people to follow so you're not so pissed if one of the people you follow loses :p. 2012 was a great year for Tennis and I think 2013 might be even better.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
A day of missed opportunities for a lot of Australian players. Stosur was the only winner and that was a huge relief after her first round exit last year and her terrible form this year. Ebden had a great chance to beat Youhzny after winning the first two sets and managed to have game point in the fourth but it just wasn't to be and he lost in five. Millman fought back from two sets down to win the next two and make it 5-5 in the fifth but he couldn't hold on against Ito. Rogowska lost in three and it amazes me that she did, she choked a bit in the end and a lapse in concentration after a bad line call cost her. Hewitt had his chances in the first two sets but couldn't convert, Tipsarevic stepped up at crucial times and was hitting the ball beautifully tonight.

Plenty of easy wins for the womens seeds including Sharapova with a double bagel against Puchkova, Venus winning 6-1 6-0 and Ivanovic winnings 6-2 6-1. Djokovic had a pretty easy start as well with a three set win.

Federer, Murray, Tomic, Serena and Azarenka all play their first rounds tomorrow, should be a good day of tennis.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Smh @ Stosur....

Janowicz through though! First time he's ever come back from 2-0 down

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
C6UD7.png

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Great victory for Laura Robson yesterday, to beat the eighth seed is some going, and she will at least have a shot at getting through the next round. Can't see her getting much futher it does look like she is begining to develop into a contender for the future through.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Been watching a lot of the Tournament, just haven't been able to get online that much due to my laptop and computer both decided to fail at the same time.

Stosur choking from 5-2 up in the third shouldn't have surprised me but it is just amazing how mentally weak she is. She needs a new coach immediately because it just isn't working, she has the talent just not the mental strength.

Tomic looked good against Federer in the first two sets, should have taken the tiebreak after being up 5-2 but Federer showed how good he is. Tomic dropped off in the last but overall a good performance. He needs to work on his return of serve to really become a quality all round player.

Sharapova has been fantastic so far, the lack of preparation hasn't hurt her so far even against a top name like Venus.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I went on Wednesday, great seats and got to see Venus Williams beat Cornet and Djokovic over Harrison.

Tomic performed absolutely well but the Fed Express is a hard one to get past

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I was tempted to head over for a couple of days but in the end I left it all too late and the prices for hotels were over the top.

Did anyone watch the Monfils vs Simon match yesterday? To me that was one of the worst matches I have ever seen. I know that they are great friends but this is a Grand Slam tournament and you actually have to try to win. Simon hitting 117kph serves at the end were pathetic and even worse was the fact that Monfils didn't dominate on return of serve when they were being served so slowly at him.

Tonight I am hoping that Ana Ivanovic can beat Radwanska. Been good seeing Ana get back in form and she is a stunner, lucky Adam Scott.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Anyone else watching the Djokovic vs. Wawrinka match right now?

Absolute epic match. Wawrinka taking it right to Novak and is playing the game of his life. He won the first set 6-1, lost the next two 5-7 4-6 and then won the fourth 7-6. Currently in the fifth set and it is 11-10 Novak's way but it is going with serve. Wawrinka serving now and the are on Deuce (4). They have been playing for over five hours and this is just a perfect exhibition of great tennis.

Game just finished as I am writing this with Novak breaking Wawrinka to win 12-10 in the fifth. Bloody good effort from both players.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Federer had his first big test at the Open this year with Tsonga managing to take him to five sets. Federer was too good in the end but it was a good challenge for Federer to have to fight back to remain in the game. He faces Murray next and he should be too strong for Murray who has had a very easy draw to the semis. Haase, Sousa, Berankis, Simon and Chardy is the draw that dreams are made of and Murray hasn't lost a set yet. I set Fed getting up in four sets. The other semi is Djokovic vs. Ferrer and I really can't see Djokovic losing here.

Massive upset on the women's side with Sloane Stephens beating Serena yesterday. Was so happy seeing that as I can't stand Serena, huge win for the 19 year old but I can't see her beating last years winner and World number 1 Azarenka. Another upset just occured before with Li Na beating Sharapova in straight sets, Sharapova had an easy run all tournament and hadn't been challenged. Good seeing Li Na making the final again.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Murray will be too strong for Federer imo. Court conditions favour Murray.

Djokovic owned Ferrer :D.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
That was a thrashing if I have ever seen one. Djokovic just loves this tournament and he looks to be unbeatable here.

Azarenka managed to make it to the final but what do people think about her injury timeout? I think that she was suffering a bit but the timing by her was deliberate and not really fair. She waited until she had lost momentum until she took it, if she was ahead at that stage and doing well I highly doubt she would have called for the trainer. After that I am hoping that Li Na will beat her in the final.

Tomorrow I am really looking forward to the womens doubles final because an Australian team managed to make it :D Hopefully Barty (she is only 16) and Dellacqua can pull it off. Also an Australian team in the semis of the mixed doubles as well.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Quality performance from Murray tonight especially in the last to win it so convincingly. Was the better player tonight and deserved the win, can't see him going past Novak though.

Unfortunately Barty/Dellacqua lost the women's doubles final but they put in a good performance losing in three to the number one seeds. Amazingly another all Australia pair has made the mixed doubles final, an Australian pair has made the junior boys doubles final and both players in the junior boys final are Australian. So nothing big in the main draw but performing well elsewhere.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Pity that Li Na couldn't pull off the win in the end but she put up a good fight losing in three sets to Azarenka who wins the Australian Open for the second year in a row. Li Na did well to come back from rolling her ankle and then from nearly knocking herself out after she hit her head hard on the court. She had the crowd behind her and she is such a humble person, was hoping that she could beat the screamer.