Fuji's Top Ten - Top 10 Movies of 2012 Edition

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
So Porkchop Express and I were chatting about Studio Ghibli yesterday and it got me to thinking that I'd fire out one of these Top 10 lists to cover what I feel are their best films. Keeping in mind that I'm sure many of you have yet to experience the wonder of these truly magical movies, I have decided not to go into any of the plot details but rather just offer a quick little blurb about why I enjoy each of them. In turn, I hope that some of you will take the time to seek these out as they are all wonderful and well deserving of your attention.

10. Whisper of the Heart

l_113824_73817605.jpg

Starting us off is this great film which is easily among the most beautifully shot that I have ever seen. The almost dream-like backgrounds were designed by acclaimed Japanese surrealist painter Naohisa Inoue and help to give the film a quality unlike many other before or since.

9. The Secret World of Arrietty

l_1568921_73c1e64d.jpg

I just watched this for the first time last night (it comes out in about a month in the US for those interested) and was immediately fascinated by how well the story was told. Being based on a relatively well known children's story (The Borrowers) makes this different than the majority of Ghibli's films, which are almost all original concepts, but it is no less powerful.

8. Kiki's Delivery Service

l_97814_8517873d.jpg

The fact that this is one hell of a good film and it only makes the number 8 spot on my list should speak volumes as to the quality of output at Ghibli. This is a film about self-discovery and gaining confidence in oneself to go out and become the person one is meant to be, and while that is an underlying theme in several Ghibli films it is most prevalent here.

7. Princess Mononoke

l_106291_0119698_6d19280c.jpg

This is another of those timeless films that just seems to get better with each repeat viewing. At the heart of it is an emotionally complex tale that is told in such a way as to make everyone understand its importance and significance. The director, Hayao Miyazaki, has already appeared on this list and will again, but this is clearly one of his best efforts.

6. Porco Rosso

l_83556_0104652_be855e21.jpg

Not one of Ghibli's most well known films, at least outside of Japan, Porco Rosso is a fantastic adventure film that quickly reminds us how strong the animation medium can be. Hayao Miyazaki (remember him?) crafts a brilliant story from his own original manga and while its not for everyone, those who have seen it can attest to its subtle strengths.

5. My Neighbor Totoro

l_96283_4112b0fe.jpg

Whimsical, magnificent, beautiful...these are just some of the words that come to mind when I think of this film. Having been a big part of my life for quite some time, I do feel I may overrate it a tad but the truth of the matter is that its simply marvellous. I love everything about it, from the story to the magical character of Totoro himself and his small, woodland sprite friends. Brilliant.

4. Castle in the Sky

l_123959_0092067_66917600.jpg

The first official film from Studio Ghibli, it remains one of their best as well. Guess who directed it? If you said Hayao Miyazaki good for you because apparently you've been paying attention. This is the first indication of how the studio would take the fantastical and imaginary and somehow ground it in enough reality to educate and enlighten through story-telling. A definite must see for animation fans everywhere.

3. Howl's Moving Castle

l_347149_8f7bdee5.jpg

Just when I thought they couldn't outdo themselves at Ghibli they came along with this instant classic and a bona fide masterpiece of a film. Once again helmed by Hayao Miyazaki (surprised?) this is a near perfect adventure story that proves all you need is the willingness to take the plunge and allow yourself to be spirited away into the magical world the film creates. Speaking of spirited away........

2. Spirited Away

l_1785_0245429_2f696a83.jpg

Not just a great animated film but a great film period, Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away could potentially be considered one of the truly great films of our time. It is the most successful film in the history of the Japanese box office, outgrossing even Titanic, and its thankfully also a lot better than that movie. If you haven't seen it, I really have to say that I think you'll enjoy it, no matter what your personal preferences are towards films.

1. Grave of the Fireflies

l_78161_0095327_969df86e.jpg

This is not just a film, its a truly life-altering experience and I cannot emphasize that point enough. If you are the type of person that finds yourself becoming overly emotional while watching movies I would advise you to think long and hard about watching it. There are no words that can describe the power, the depth and the lasting effects that this movie will have on you so I won't even try. I will say this however, it is in my top 10 films of all time and I've only seen it once. I'll never watch it again either, its that poignant that once is enough, but that one time will forever alter your perception of life. Seriously.

So there you have it folks. Agree? Disagree? Has anyone seen any of these films and if so would you like to discuss them further? I'd love to hear from anyone who's interested as they are truly great experiences for people of all ages.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Re: Fuji's Top Ten

I've still never seen any of those, even the ones you have recommended. I know I downloaded Spirited Away but still have yet to watch it. I will try to get to them one of these days though.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Good list but I would probably reorder them some. Fireflies was a perferct #1, Monoke would have to be my 2, Howl's Moving Castle #3, Spirited Away and the list pretty much the same afterwards. So happy you didn't throw Ponyo into the list.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

As promised the other day, here's my Top 10 Films of 2012....

10. The Bay

l_1713476_d84ee6c1.jpg

A damn good found footage film from Academy Award winning director Barry Levinson, The Bay shows us a plausible danger and then scares the crap out of us for nearly its entire duration. While I was on my found footage kick, this was easily one of the best that I watched and a real hidden gem in this year's horror releases.

9. Safety Not Guaranteed

l_1862079_fe80f2cb.jpg

The main cast astounds in this little film that features some of the most believable character relationships that I've seen in some time. Not only that, its just a really well done comedy that's fully of whimsy and a perfect reminder that there's a lot of stuff out there better than whatever Judd Apatow's latest offering is.

8. Berberian Sound Studio

l_1833844_7c65bdb7.jpg

One of the most messed up movies I've seen all year, this TIFF offering is completely outrageous and seems to be the work of an insane person. However, at the same time, its story is incredibly compelling and Toby Jones gives a strong performance as a sound engineer caught up in a web of psychosis while working with an eccentric director on his latest film.

7. Amour

l_1602620_a7576cc4.jpg

Another TIFF offering, this time from acclaimed director Michael Haneke (Funny Games, The White Ribbon). It's a simple story of two old people living out their last days together, but the acting and the sentiment is so strong it immediately captivates you with its simplicity. It's not for everyone, and its subtitled, but if you can take stuff like that, you'll be blown away by how good it is.

6. The Avengers

l_848228_6ed314dd.jpg

In a year where comic book films rocked the box office, The Avengers stood head and shoulders above the others. It's perfect blend of action and comedy shows just why Joss Whedon is such a hot property, while the ability to corral so many unique and diverse actors is a testament to his filmmaking skills. Plus this movie made me like Mark Ruffalo, which is a minor miracle in and of itself!

5. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry

l_1845773_5f57c6bf.jpg

Quite simply put, this is the best documentary that I have seen in years. The man himself is a true independent spirit trapped in a world that attempts to suffocate him at every turn. His increasingly rebellious attitude in the face of persecution is admirable, and he quickly becomes a personal hero to everyone who sees him for who he really is, a true original. If this doesn't win the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature the entire Academy Awards will become even more of a sham than they already are.

4. Looper

l_1276104_6a9d053b.jpg

This one certainly snuck up on me but man is it ever good. While I was concerned that the subject matter was going to make the film muddled, its never anything less than flawless and features some great performances from its principle cast. If this is any indication of what director Rian Johnson is really capable of (after the less than stellar Brick and The Brothers Bloom), I cannot wait to see what he's got up his sleeve next.

3. Antiviral

l_2099556_e38c224f.jpg

Yet another twisted entry on the list (and another TIFF film no less), Antiviral is the directorial debut of David Cronenberg's son, Brandon. It is bizarre, surreal, disturbing, disgusting, deplorable and yet, like a car accident, its impossible to look away from. The performance of Caleb Landry Jones in the lead role is a revelation and while I do admit the subject matter isn't for everyone, its easily my pick for best horror film of the year.

2. Prometheus

l_1446714_eb7defbd.jpg

While I'm sure this is going to be a somewhat controversial pick, I cannot in good faith do anything other than reward Prometheus for its excellence. Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien has everything a fan of the films could want while also opening up the door for new people to get acquainted with the series. It's got great acting, a solid story and some killer effects, and it would have been the best movie I saw this year if not for....

1. Beasts of the Southern Wild

l_2125435_eb075cbd.jpg

While I'm sure most haven't seen this simple yet incredibly effective film, I would urge all of you to check it out. I cannot remember ever wanting to stand up and cheer at the end of a movie but I sure as hell came close with this one. The lead performance from 6 year old Quvenzhané Wallis is nothing short of brilliant while the story, while heavy on metaphor, is easy for everyone to understand...and relate to. Simply the best movie of 2012, Beasts of the Southern Wild is absolutely must-see material.

So there you go, my personal Top 10 of 2012, and obviously I'm sure there will be plenty of agreements and disagreements where some films are concerned as well as lots of noise about the one's that I didn't include. Feel free to post any thoughts you have here and keep an eye on this space as next time out I'll tackle the worst films of the year, which should be good for some laughs.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I have only seen one of the movies mentioned on this list which is the Avengers. I still want to see Promethius and pooper but your number 1 looks a little interesting. Is it live action or CGI couldn't tell from the pic.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
MJF1
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I also only seen the Avengers in that list, I need to check out Looper and Prometheus.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I have only seen one of the movies mentioned on this list which is the Avengers. I still want to see Promethius and pooper but your number 1 looks a little interesting. Is it live action or CGI couldn't tell from the pic.

It's live action but it kind of feels like a Studio Ghibli movie.

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I am with you about Mark Ruffalo, I have never enjoyed his work but to imo he nailed Bruce Banner better then anyone has since Bill Bixby.. that is the only movie I can comment on but I am sure I will check out Looper and Prometheus at some point.

Castiel

Reaction score
Surprised to see AntiViral so high on the list, kinda look like a dud to me. Like most I've only seen Avengers, Looper and Promethues but all would also be in my top 10 this year. Going to check out Safety Not Guaranteed, looks fantastic! Great cast too.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Safety Not Guaranteed looks cool in the trailers, wanna see that.

Only seen Avengers & Looper but both are my top two for the year, so it's all good.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
What did you think of Argo, Fuji?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
What did you think of Argo, Fuji?

I thought it was good, probably could have made an honourable mention on my list if they had bothered to cover the Canadian involvement a little better than they did. Still, definitely an entertaining movie and more proof that Affleck is a really talented director.

Bad News Booty

I Fancy Martina
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I love how people still try and shit on Affleck. Dude cowrote Goodwill Hunting, was great in a ton of movies, is hilarious in the Kevin Smith DVD commentaries, and is now a great director. But yet people still shit on him. Boggles my mind.