Former Writer on Friction Between Cena & Vince

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
- Former WWE writer Court Bauer joined Konnan and Mister Saint Laurent on MLW Radio and talked about the friction between John Cena and Vince McMahon regarding Cena's surgery last week:

"John Cena has this procedure done in Birmingham, AL. WWE.com puts out there that he'll be down for only two weeks and that life will go on. It was basically like removal of fragments and bone spurs in his arm or his elbow, which if you follow sports, baseball players have it done all the time, usually in the office season. NFL guys will have it done here or there. It's a pretty easy deal. So, I don't think anyone was thinking it was going to be this long stretched out thing, but then the reports came out about how long John Cena was going to be down for. John Cena then took to Twitter saying that WWE.com got the story wrong and that he's going to be out for a full six [weeks] and he just buried WWE.com and all the guys over there. The story obviously then switched to 'now he's out six weeks.'"

"From what I know, Vince McMahon himself, in the agent meeting, the producers meeting, told everyone straight up the dude is out for just two weeks, 'we dodged a bullet and that he's very much in the mix moving forward.' That was Tuesday, he said that. Then Cena had very different things to say and I understand WWE.com did talk to James Andrews [Cena's doctor], who WWE and Cena did give them the blessing to talk to. That's standard protocol at WWE. They always try to interview the doctor, get insight so they can have the news. Sometimes it's a kayfabe site and sometimes it's a legit news site. Sometimes it's a TMZ site, but that's the story. They interviewed him and Dr. James Andrews did say he'd be out just two weeks."

"So you have to wonder if Vince and the doctor said it and Cena is saying six weeks, there is an interesting issue there. Is it that John Cena wanted the full six weeks out? Was John Cena then told something after Tuesdays that conflicted with this? But it was very quickly thereafter they reported it on the website that this was not in fact the situation. The reality of it is, John Cena is coming off a divorce, he's beaten up. He's got a bad neck, a bad hip, bad everything. He's closing in on 36. The wear and tear of a guy like that, that goes, goes, goes and is a company man, you gotta think about."

"And if you're Vince McMahon, you look at the clock, you look at the calendar and you think, is it time to build the next John Cena?"
Just seems like if they aren't careful they are gonna lose Cena long term if they let all these injuries linger and not chill on him. Then they will have no choice but to build someone up to eventually take his spot. Think Cena really needs a extended time off not only for him to fully heal up but to see what they have in younger names.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
The dudes been going hard for how long? I think he deserves a break. And if they won't even give their top guy a mere 6 weeks off, what the Hell do the jobbers get?

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
You know the last line speaks volumes it is time to start building I mean Cena I don't believe will go anywhere unless he chooses to leave though again why. He has job security he's the next HHH and Taker in my mind he'll be there forever if only popping in and out now and again. But it is time to start building the next guy again and currently I don't see anyone on the roster to do that with the guys that are possibly good enough are damn near as old as cena.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Cena's a workhorse, I cannot honestly remember the last time or if he's ever taken more than 6 weeks off TV.

Is it time to build another Cena? Yes but who? I'd be looking at someone who could lift themselves up the roster and I'd look at Ziggler, Rhodes & Sandow here.

Reaction score
Ryback would be that guy to build as the next Cena. But it's not like Cena's career is over or anything, the guy just needs time away and to relax. Like someone mentioned already, he just had a divorce and should be granted some extra time to heal.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
Ryback = New John Cena

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
All the guys that have been mentioned aside from Cody Rhodes are at least 30. Which to me seems a bit old to groom as a repalcement because it'll take 1-2 years making them a Cena and at that point they have what 4-5 years before grooming another? Rhodes I don't think will ever be the guy.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
Interesting article but I think they're reading way too much into it. I'd like to put my money on the miscommunication, or Cena being that guy who wants to "fool" the WWE Universe circa Rumble 2008. But, if this is the case... if Vince is worried, he shouldn't be. Cena isn't going anywhere anytime soon, at least until they write him a check that'll make him want to stay.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Well, there was that time after Nexus where he said he wanted time off.

Then there was the time after the Lesnar match that he wanted time off.

Just stop bleating about it and throw a damn sickie ffs.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Article basically points out that Cena over-reacted, if WWE talked to his doctor and he said two weeks then you are going to go with two weeks. No need to get angry at the wwe.com people if they go their information from the guy that performed the surgery. If Cena did want six weeks off then it seems like a simple communication issue. Honestly he should come back for HIAC so that they can actually finish the Punk feud and then he can take a month or two off. WWE don't need him for the end of the year with the B PPVs, get him ready for Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber and of course WM.

Undertaker

Reaction score
The dudes been going hard for how long?
Oh dear.

I didn't actually realise John Cena was that old so I would imagine within the next 3-4 years he may think about retiring and moving on to new adventures such as movies and other television shows. With all the injuries he has had albeit all in a short space of time it's probably time for him to consider his health over his career. WWE don't have anyone at this moment in time who is anywhere near ready to take the company's top spot. I don't see Cena lasting as long as Undertaker. Cena hasn't got that longevity in his gimmick whereas Undertaker has.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Cena definitely needs some time off. The only times he's really had time off was for his neck and movies. Other than that you may miss him for a couple weeks here and there and that'd be about it. Kinda like how you rarely ever saw Bret not on TV or Austin not on TV no matter what. Those were Company men and Cena is a Company man. He's going to be there no matter what is going on. But the guy does need some rest. He is still human and he is 36? I really did not realize that.

But it has been time for them to start grooming for the next big stars. Rhodes won't be. Miz could possibly be up there. Not "The Guy" but he'll kinda fill out the Orton role as the second top guy. He's still young, he's charismatic, has the look, plus he's already been at the top so all it would take is a little tweaking and he'll be back on top. Sheamus they are trying to groom but it just doesn't feel like it'll really take. Ziggler would be the next option. Ryback is only going to be the next form of Goldberg. Goldberg didn't need to talk much, mainly cause he wasn't much of a talker, just a brute force. That's Ryback's role and he'll fit that perfectly. But they have at least 3 guys that can get up there.

But as far as the article... that is interesting... but possibly miscommunication. Or like Jay said... as a way to fool folks like with the Rumble.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Oh dear.

I didn't actually realise John Cena was that old so I would imagine within the next 3-4 years he may think about retiring and moving on to new adventures such as movies and other television shows. With all the injuries he has had albeit all in a short space of time it's probably time for him to consider his health over his career. WWE don't have anyone at this moment in time who is anywhere near ready to take the company's top spot. I don't see Cena lasting as long as Undertaker. Cena hasn't got that longevity in his gimmick whereas Undertaker has.

I take it you are unaware of what Cena does for WWE if your only statement to quote me is 'oh dear'. Now, I am not a huge fan of the wrestler, aside from his incredible mic work, but outside the ring he does so much charity work and shit on WWE's behalf. I have nothing but respect for that. He's been the company man for so long because he's worked his ass off, trying to help get other people to work just as hard, and tries to help get the younger talent up.

Lewb

Reaction score
I personally think they're doing it with Daniel Bryan. His gimmick right now could be compared with Cenas rap gimmick, getting over in a ridiculous way on a gimmick that can't last forever. Then when they take that away he will still be over with the crowd and can build from there.